• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Heathkit Z19 terminal

atod

Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm trying to put together two somewhat vintage systems with the correct components for their time period. One is a N* Horizon and another a IMSAI 8080. So far, I have a ADDS terminal which is about late 70s time period. I'm seeking another, maybe a Lear Siegler ADM30 (if I can ever find one) or possibly this Heathkit Z19 (which is very broken). I spoke to the seller and they live near me in Massachusetts.

Does anyone know what a fair price would be for this? It has broken keys and does not power on. $50 with pickup? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160484685116&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_529wt_845

screenshot20110608at110.png

I'd say offer the guy $25 since it's unknown how much work will need to be done. If you're not prepared to do some serious component level troubleshooting and possibly even more, than forget it completely. You have no idea what could be wrong inside there..... I restored two of these and it was some work. The biggest problem was the MM5740 keyboard encoder. The H/Z19 has a specially mask programmed version that is unobtanium. Even the standard MM5740 is hard to find. Of course they were broken in both terminals. And of course there were bad bits in the screen ram.

If you do spring for it, here is a picture of mine after the restoration: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/album.php?albumid=58&attachmentid=2420. I have the manuals, prints, etc.

Lou

Awesome restoration! I can do the component level debug. I have an LA and scope here. The keyboard is the scary part. It has broken keys. I'm not sure how to go about fixing or replacing that. There is an H89 keyboard on Ebay for $130, but I'm not sure if it is compatible (and it's pricey). I wonder if this is a keytronics mfg and I can swap keys? Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'd say offer the guy $25 since it's unknown how much work will need to be done. If you're not prepared to do some serious component level troubleshooting and possibly even more, than forget it completely. You have no idea what could be wrong inside there..... I restored two of these and it was some work. The biggest problem was the MM5740 keyboard encoder. The H/Z19 has a specially mask programmed version that is unobtanium. Even the standard MM5740 is hard to find. Of course they were broken in both terminals. And of course there were bad bits in the screen ram.

If you do spring for it, here is a picture of mine after the restoration: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/album.php?albumid=58&attachmentid=2420. I have the manuals, prints, etc.

Lou

The keycaps have the same plug dimensions as those on dec keyboards of the era. There have been various other threads on dec keys. I recently resored my LA36 and the dec keyboard was made by Cherry. I have also seen Hi-Tek keyboards with similar dimensions. I have observed that all dec keys from LA36/VT52 through LA34/VT1XX have the same plug dimensions on the back. Even the keyboard in my HP-85 uses keys with the same plug dimension. So, although it won't be a perfect match from the curvature, etc, you can take keys from some other junk keyboard of similar construction and repaint them. I recently got a junk VT100 keyboard (lots of keys already missing) suitable for scavenging keys.

I should also mention that the keys get loose because the plungers crack at the corners. I have plungers becasue a local surplus place had NOS (but stored covered outdoors) Hi-Tek keyboards (sans keys) of which I bought enough to have a lifetime supply of plungers. I used some of those plungers to tighten up keys in the H19s.

If you liked the first pic, here is the other H19 after restoration next to the H11 after restoration. The second H19 had a green CRT. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/album.php?albumid=54&attachmentid=2443

Lou

Great work! I given the keyboard condition, I'm going to try and keep purchase price < $100.

Lou,

Your system says Heathkit H19 on the panel. The one pictured above (by me) has Zenith data systems Z/19. The inside MB has Heath Corp. 1981. Did they just change the labeling in the later years? Are most of the components the same?

Thanks

Last edited:
Someone who knows the Heath/Zenith story better than I can correct me, but I believe that the Zenith badged terminals were factory wired versions of the Heathkit. I think that is the only difference.

A little more about these keyboards. These keyboards have two little gold plated contact "leaves" in them for each key. They are inside the ID of the coil spring under the plunger. When one depresses a key, the plunger allows the two contacts to touch. The contacts are a little delicate... one side has fingers and the other doesn't. Both sides can get messed up. It took some learning, but I have replaced broken contacts in these keyboards without desoldering the entire plastic housing from the PCB.

It sounds like you can do the restoration. Just about anything can be fixed given the time and patience.

Lou

Back