Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

A New S-100 Bus Master/Slave 80386 CPU Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monahan_z
    replied
    eeguru, I am now at the point that for the 16-32 Meg range I may as well stick with Pseudo-Static RAM chips. They are dirt cheap and if the data sheet is close to reality, simple to plop down. For flexibility I would have made (or buy) small SMT adaptors with pins (stamp size). This way for those who don't have steady hands they can have them soldered by outfits that do this and it would allow one to easily flip RAM from board (prototypes etc) to board. The trick will be for Andrew to squeezing as many as possible on a two layer S-100 board.

It's when you go to higher capacities that DRAM really starts to look attractive. Even 32 Meg using a DP8420 type setup seems to me marginal for the effort involved. Andrew’s 72 pin SIMMS and DP8422A at 128 MB starts to look attractive.

Question is there anything out there (controller) using 72 pin SIMM's that could get us to 256 or 512 MB on a single S-100 board other than essentially multiple DP8422's?

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    Originally posted by lynchaj View Post
    The DP8422A DRAM board should be able to get to 128MB at least. Each DP8422A can access up to 64MB and if using a 72 pin SIMM. The DP8422A directly supports up to 4Mb DRAM chips so we would have to find the right SIMMs with compatible RAS/CAS lines. The nice thing about the 64MB 72 pin SIMMs is they are a more or less fixed standard package of traditional DRAMs. They don't use any of the synchronous state machine logic that were introduced with SDRAM (PC-100 and later 168 pin DIMMs). I am thinking a mezzanine with 4 DP8422A DRAM controllers and 4 64MB SIMMs is within reasonable possibility. It can also be done with 100% PTH parts and 5V compatibility.
    I strongly suggest studying this interface design. It is designed to support burst access so you may be able to simplify it some always terminating the current cycle on each access. However fully understand it before attempting a layout.

Frankly, it adds a lot of complexity not to mention a whole suite of voltage compatibility issues with SDRAM and the FPGAs themselves and are sensitive to PCB trace issues (matched impedances and other issues). Almost certainly they would require expensive 4 layer PCBs.
    Apparently you didn't even look at my board design above. All untrue.

We have to keep the end customer (the hobbyist) in mind when making the design choices and accept there are inherent limitations by staying in this genre. What is the point of making a memory board that hobbyists can't or won't build themselves? We will be stuck with boards that cannot generate enough demand to warrant even going to "production".
    I'm not suggesting a hobbyist build a FPGA board. I suggest kickstarting a project for a generic FPGA boards with plenty of SDRAM (up to 64MB), 5V tolerant, and pinned in such a way that you could use them as a mezzanine module to add more ram to old designs. N8VEM and the S100 project already have 4MB per card SRAM board. Add a couple of those to a system and you can run Linux just fine. A question was posed how do we add 2GB to a 16 MHz 80386? I proposed programmable logic as really the only solution to get anywhere close. If you read the link above you'll see even the DP8422A design uses PLDs.

Leave a comment:

• NobodyIsHere
    replied
    Originally posted by luckybob View Post
    while we are poking holes in this... why not use pc104 instead of s-100?
    Exactly. Any hobbyist who would consider this approach (PC104, RPi, or other cosmic embedded SBC) is most likely not interested in S-100. It is an inherently self-defeating strategy and it misses the point of being a S-100 hobbyist entirely!

Just go buy a Walmart PC since it would cost less and work better! Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Leave a comment:

• NobodyIsHere
    replied
    Originally posted by monahan_z View Post
    I now thinking perhaps we should settle for a simple static RAM board. The best I’m seeing so far are things like the Cypress 1MX16 (CY62167DV30)’s 48 pin TSOP’s. These are ~0.8” X 0.5”. So Andrew could probably get at least 24 of them on an S-100 “daughter board”. That would give us 48MG. Problem is it would be one hell of an expensive board. But backing off in capacity however one could probably get to 16MB at a reasonable price.

Any suggestion where the “sweet spot” is capacity/price wise for Static RAM chips.

Andrew for your DP8422A, we may as well go Static RAM. It seems to me to be a large chip for little RAM capacity. Am I missing something?.
    Hi John! Thanks! I suggest we proceed with a two phase approach; first, build a SRAM board using either the PSRAMs or the high density SRAMs. Second, build a DRAM board using DP8422A chips.

The PSRAMs or high density SRAMs should allow us to get to 32MB and maybe even 64MB or 128MB possibly. That should be sufficient to prove the 80386 CPU to memory mezzanine connector works and give a fighting chance to anyone willing to port a protected mode OS. The memory chips are all SMT but the glue logic should be simple enough to allow for the exception. I'd consider this board a "bridge" or transition to a larger DRAM based solution.

The DP8422A DRAM board should be able to get to 128MB at least. Each DP8422A can access up to 64MB and if using a 72 pin SIMM. The DP8422A directly supports up to 4Mb DRAM chips so we would have to find the right SIMMs with compatible RAS/CAS lines. The nice thing about the 64MB 72 pin SIMMs is they are a more or less fixed standard package of traditional DRAMs. They don't use any of the synchronous state machine logic that were introduced with SDRAM (PC-100 and later 168 pin DIMMs). I am thinking a mezzanine with 4 DP8422A DRAM controllers and 4 64MB SIMMs is within reasonable possibility. It can also be done with 100% PTH parts and 5V compatibility. I think 2 layer PCBs would support this at lower frequencies such as 16MHz or less.

I do not think we should go with the FPGA approach. Frankly, it adds a lot of complexity not to mention a whole suite of voltage compatibility issues with SDRAM and the FPGAs themselves and are sensitive to PCB trace issues (matched impedances and other issues). Almost certainly they would require expensive 4 layer PCBs. They are also 100% SMT technologies which will not be hobbyist friendly.

We have to keep the end customer (the hobbyist) in mind when making the design choices and accept there are inherent limitations by staying in this genre. What is the point of making a memory board that hobbyists can't or won't build themselves? We will be stuck with boards that cannot generate enough demand to warrant even going to "production". Pre-assembly of boards is simply not an option due to cost and hassle. I can barely keep up with the bare bones PCB only approach!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Leave a comment:

• luckybob
    replied
    while we are poking holes in this... why not use pc104 instead of s-100?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Why not just glue a Raspberry Pi to an S100 prototype board and let it run 386 emulation software? It might even be faster than a genuine 386--and have some cool peripherals. Shades of the "new" Commodore 64...

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    That looks like it will work as a regular SRAM as-is in default mode. Good find. Digikey stopped selling PSRAMs.

Leave a comment:

• monahan_z
    replied
    eeguru, I just came across these ISSI pseudo-static RAMS (IS66WVE4M16BLL) see:-
    http://www.issi.com/pdf/66WVE4M16BLL.pdf
    They are 4MegX16 and are available in single unit quantities (http://www.onlinecomponents.com/issi...tml?p=43095856) for $3-4 each.
    They are available in 48-pin TSOP-I package as well. Could easily fit fit 16 or 20 Meg on a board with costing an arm and a leg.
    Am I missing something because that arrangement would look like a "plop down a RAM and a few connecting chips".

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    There are numerous free cores written that implement the SDR state transition logic in Verlog or VHDL. You can use pretty much any PL device from Altera, Lattice, Xilinx, and others. There are even papers written by engineers at all of those companies for older devices for older RAM technologies. They might be insightful reads - especially on how the state transitions evolved through EDO, FPM and finally to SDR SDRAM.

Essentially the board described above and others like it will turn a SDR SDRAM part into what will look like a fully asynchronous 32MB parallel SRAM to the host processor. The timing of DRAM requests are not always deterministic depending on whether the request can be serviced by a prior burst, if it comes from the same row or column on the active bank, or active refresh cycles. So one of the lines coming back from the FPGA would be an open drain ready signal. When the FPGA is selected - either with an external CS or one generated from an internal address decode - it will drive ready down until the buffered DRAM state machine returns the data asked for. There are 48 5V tolerant expansion I/Os on the above module. For example you could assigned those to A[1..24], BHE, BLE, D[0..16], /WE, /OE, /RAM_CS, /ROM_CS, READY, and /RESET with an image file intended for 16 bit system. Or some other combination for different systems and applications (such as a Lava 10 replacement).

Also in the above design is up-to a 32MB QSPI flash that it will flatten out into a linear address space so that it looks like a static parallel device. You could also do interesting things like DMA and ROM shadowing if you so desired.

The whole thing is a condensed down version of a 16-bit 32MB ISA EMS/XMS board I'm currently working on.
    Last edited by eeguru; October 19, 2012, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• monahan_z
    replied
    Thanks so much eeguru for your insight. Unfortunately I naively thought you could "plop down some DIMM sockets, wire up a few combinatorial gates, and a timer to periodically stroke CAS". Just looking at page 15 for the SDR SDRAM is just downright scary! That, and the schematic mentioned, illustrates to me there is no way I alone could implement something in that range with my current state of knowledge.

I’m not clear on how a FPGA/Spartan approach works BTW. Is it the Spartan “does its own thing” refreshing DRAM etc. and is setup to have an internal program that takes 32 data lines (emulating RAM to the 80386) and stores/sends them to/from its own RAM. If so, can it really keep up to the data rate of an 80386 without many wait states?

I now thinking perhaps we should settle for a simple static RAM board. The best I’m seeing so far are things like the Cypress 1MX16 (CY62167DV30)’s 48 pin TSOP’s. These are ~0.8” X 0.5”. So Andrew could probably get at least 24 of them on an S-100 “daughter board”. That would give us 48MG. Problem is it would be one hell of an expensive board. But backing off in capacity however one could probably get to 16MB at a reasonable price.

Any suggestion where the “sweet spot” is capacity/price wise for Static RAM chips.

Andrew for your DP8422A, we may as well go Static RAM. It seems to me to be a large chip for little RAM capacity. Am I missing something?.

Eeguru, what do you think of pseudo-static DRAMS. Would they be easier to implement. What capacity do you think one could get on an S-100 board of the type we discussed? Is there any possibility of a “plop down some DIMM sockets, wire up a few combinatorial gates, and a timer to periodically stroke CAS” tor that situation?

John

Leave a comment:

• NobodyIsHere
    replied
    For the 80386 CPU, I think the DP8422A is our best bet with the highest chance of success. It is designed to work with the 80386 and is still available.

It won't provide enormous RAM sizes but should be sufficient for Linux and/or BSD.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    Thanks for the status update Andrew. I remembered you guys hitting this need before.

Couple additional notes worth considering: Both the Motorola/Freescale reference design for 68040/68360 and the National app note for interfacing a DP842xA to a 80386 (another completely PTH solution) both call for a couple PALs as glue. So it's unlikely you will be able to escape programmable logic to some degree to add a non-trivial amount of SDRAM. Second I've updated the design above to enlarge the board a bit (1/2" in one dir) to include an on-board programmer w/ mini-USB port in place of the MCU. The entire BoM cost of that board (minus headers) is still less than the cost of one MC68360 PGA and that gap will continue moving in the wrong direction. It's entirely reasonable with enough interest via a kickstart to have boards made for not much more. It could be a way to add 32MB RAM/32MB ROM plus other to be developed uses (eg VGA controller) to a variety of projects. I plan on ordering some prototypes this weekend in any case.

Leave a comment:

• NobodyIsHere
    replied
    Originally posted by eeguru View Post
    Did you guys ever get the 68040/68360 design working?
    Hi

The MC68040 SBC project continues but it is a completely separate project from the S-100 80386 CPU board. Both projects share the need for a large system RAM and the MC68040 SBC is planned to use an MC68360 QUICC to control a couple of SIMMs (72 pin *not* PC-133) for 256MB. At the moment it is an intermediate prototype "MC68360-P1" for proof-of-concept of the all important MC68360 chip with a bare-bones flash ROM and two small SRAMs. We've made some prototype PCBs but those are not booting yet but hopefully will be soon. The MC68360 is a complicated chip with a lot of variants so it is not terribly surprising it is difficult to get it going.

It does raise some interesting possibilities though if a 80386 could interface to an MC68360 as a large DRAM controller. I have no idea if that is possible or not but it is moot until we get the MC68360-P1 prototypes working. Getting more MC68360-P1 prototype boards would be fairly simple if anyone wants to take a whack at it and I believe Dave would appreciate another set of eyes on it. The MC68360 is a sophisticated processor by itself and can be interfaced to MC68030, MC68040, other MC68360s and probably other CPUs. If it does work it could be a common solution for the MC68040 SBC and the S-100 80386 CPU board.

Assuming a marriage between an 80386 and MC68360 is even possible it would have a tremendous advantage in that 100% of the parts are 5V PTH compatible including the SIMM sockets and the MC68360 PGA. I think it would be fairly easy to fit an MC68360 plus glue logic and 2-4 SIMMs on an S-100 mezzanine board. Also the MC68360 chips seem readily available in QFP and PGA formats.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
    Last edited by NobodyIsHere; October 19, 2012, 04:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    It's just not that simple. Most parts past simple discrete DIP chips have internal auto-refresh. Parts now are banked and paged internally and must be command controlled with a fairly complex finite state machine. Care must also be given to minimum transition times between states. Take a look at the state diagram on page 15 for this SDR SDRAM chip and you'll get a feel for the complexity involved.

You are not going to able to just plop down some DIMM sockets, wire up a few combinatorial gates, and a timer to periodically stroke CAS.

You will need a legitimate fully buffered DRAM controller. You might have luck finding some overstock ASIC to do older tech (EDO, Fast Page Mode, etc). But if you want to use current cheap SDR or DDR1 SDRAM devices (discrete or DIMM), you're best bet is to turn a small FPGA or a large CPLD into one. SDR and DDR1 SDRAM is very common in PLD projects so there are numerous free IP cores for it.

SIMMs still have the same state machine complexity (more if EDO or FPM) and offer less density than the controller/single chip board above.
    Last edited by eeguru; October 19, 2012, 12:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• monahan_z
    replied
    Yes, but how do you refresh the DRAM. What I am looking for is a reliable circuit to refresh any of these common SIMMS. An Intel motherboard North/Southbridge type of thing is too difficult.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X