• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

eBay: Original Unassembled Altair 8800 Computer Kit

gslick

Veteran Member
This is something that might actually count as rare. It appears to be a complete original and unassembled Altair 8800 kit in as shipped from factory condition. Wonder how high this one will go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230963528057

Not mine, wish it was. This would pay some bills...

Of what use or value is an unassembled computer? Guess we'll find out...

If this flies, then one can offer a few trees, some sand, iron ore and bauxite as the next stage up the line of disassembly. It should fetch an even higher price being less-assembled.

Of what use or value is an unassembled computer? Guess we'll find out...

You know that is a silly question. Value != Use. What practical use does an Altair or IMSAI have in fully functional condition? The collector value is the question here for this item, not its usage value.

Currently bid up to $1,825.00, reserve not yet met.

Well, I know of a fellow who's still using an IMSAI 8080 to run his vacuum-molding (commercial) setup. So its value is pretty much established for him. But what a box of parts is worth, I dunno.

I love how assembling the system LOWERS the value. ;)
I bet you that if someone openly did that the old farts would start uttering death threats.

It's just like old postage stamps. Once a stamp is put on an envelope and punched, the value may change dramaticly.

Whilst I do not believe that old computers have any lasting monetary value, it is certainly the case that an unassembled kit is possibly unique and therefore worth more than the assembled computers of which there are many more.

Unbuilt in original box is worth a fortune. I'd bet it goes over 5 grand.

oh I can believe it. Sadly, for the same amount of money you probably could re-create everything from scratch yourself. That said, if I was rich, I'd have no problem paying easily twice as much for an un-assembled 8080 rather than one already built.

For someone back then to buy an Altair and not even take it out of the box, they must of either stolen it out of the post office or they had a hell of a lot of cash to throw around.

The $3000 reserve has been hit now with 6 days still left to go.

Meanwhile the PDP 8/e he is also selling is only at $1000 currently.

Who wants to take a bet that the buyer will assemble it?

To me, it's worth 10x the cost of an equivalent condition assembled system (factory or kit!), if I had the kind of cash to throw around that this system will end up going for, I'd buy it, keep it in a secondary box to keep the original box mint, and hold onto it for another few decades.

To those who were questioning the value of an old unassembled kit, you've obviously never collected Heathkit... complete, boxed, unassembled heathkits from the 70's or older go for BANK.

Actually, there is quite a bit of historical significance in being able to see an unassembled unit and exactly how this was packed.

I'd put this in a museum so you could show it to kids, point to it and say "back then when you bough a computer, there was SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED!" :D

Perhaps someone could use this as a future reference to manufacturer new kits, so more people could have the exact same experience. (If such details aren't already well known) Just a thought.

There are many different kinds of collectors, with many different perspectives. Some like to test things out and experience them, some like the feel of living in a store with new unopened items, some put things in to actual use because they have legacy needs. At least we probably aren't dealing with someone who wants to melt it down for scrap!

All I can say is wow. I really hope a museum gets this. I can only imagine how nice this looks in person.

For someone back then to buy an Altair and not even take it out of the box, they must of either stolen it out of the post office or they had a hell of a lot of cash to throw around.

I watched a youtube video in which it was said that the very first Altair was lost in the post, could this kit be serial number one!

I've seen a few unbuilt Altairs come up before. I think we discussed them here too so probably a search on the forums can present us with the last final price. Either way yes, it'll likely stay unbuilt or be worth less which is ironic. Even if you built it though there were a large percentage that didn't work out of the box. If one had the disposable cash though it's fun to own kits that you'd likely never see or have the opportunity to build again then buy another built one for use. I've been torn for a while even with my unbuilt altairkit. The point of course is I've historically missed the opportunity to ever build one outside of this but then again it's also damn cool to have a kit lol.

I'm a purist, I restore early 80's pin's & vid's and the stuff I've seen
would make me roll over in the grave ;-)

But then again....

What fun is a NIB toy if you can't play with it ?

Back