• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HAM Sol-20

From the pics it looks like the two piece cover is replaced by a single piece cover that has a morse code TTY interface on it. It also looks like it has a morse code card connects to it. The power supply looks stock.

Can't tell obviously if the personality module is stock but it is a 2708 version not a 5204 version.

Cheers,
Corey

Looks like they put the CPU, PROM and external morse interface all onto a single board. Can't see clearly but it looks like maybe there is a normal RAM board underneath. If you bought this to be a general purpose computer, you'd likely want to add a more standard CPU and ROM board and find code to burn to the EPROMs from a different machine. I can't tell what's on the personality module. It doesn't look like PROM to me, but it does look like maybe 8KB of PROM chips on the Curtis board.

You could try to use that board if it has an 8080 or Z80, but the code on those ROMs is probably rare and hard to find. It would be better to at very least order some different chips and set those ones aside (labeled in order of course)

Either way - it's going to be some significant work to get this going as a standard SOL unless you have another one you can use to debug and bootstrap.

I don't think they have replaced the CPU. The sol-20 CPU is on board and it wouldn't make sense for a company back then to use a sol chassis and not all the builtin stuff. I think the 40pin chip on that morse code card is a uart.

As for returning it to stock. Why would you. It is stock for this "special sol" if the system had stock metal for a cover then maybe. But the custom cover is very interesting.

Cheers,
Corey

One of the Sol-20 newsletters has some info: http://www.sol20.org/articles/access_v1n1.pdf

Here's the details:

The SYSTEM 4000 is a full scale standard desk top minicomputer specially equipped with firmware programs and interfaces for the amateur radio operator. Being a stand-alone
computer, it can also run business, educational, scientific or games programs.

The SYSTEM 40000 is derived from the Sol terminal Computer and can take advantage of Processor Technology's programs and accessories. System 4000 uses the standard
S-100 bus for plug-in accessory boards, and the owner can add or exchange PROM integrated circuits to update the system.

Features:
Morse reader, capable of receiving code at speeds of 6-250 WPM (or higher). CRT or TTY output, selectable for upper and lower case.
Paddle keyer, with dot= and dash memory, iambic and full self completion. CRT or TTY printout.
Keyboard keyer, sends Morse from keyboard.
CRT or TTY output.
ASCII terminal, half or full duplex.

Complete details can be obtained by writing to:
Curtis Electro Devices, Inc., P O. Box 4090,
Mountain View, Ca. 94040.

Back