Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

New Sol-20 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you're going. I used an eraser for good measure whenever I take those Keytronic keyboards apart whether it's needed or not. .

I played around with a few more of Nama's WAV files and most worked. I tried the RAM checks and they were either taking forever with no screen output or those didn't work but I didn't get any errors. Maybe I didn't wait long enough?

It's an impressive machine for the era it came from.
    Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

One tip to everyone with a sol-20. Impressive machine yes, but think about this. There is a fan but no "exhaust" area for the air so you will have moisture accumulate because of the heat cycling.

Get some of those moisture absorbing packs that you get in vitamin bottles and put them under your keyboard and replace them about once or twice a year.

So there was a bit of an over site. BTW. PT's solution was to go aluminum for the covers and coat the chassis on later units. Not as easy or as cheap as creating exhaust ports at the front underneath the machine, which they should have.

But for a 1976 designed machine... Yes impressive for an all-in-one.

Cheers,
      Corey

Comment

Nama, just a note about the rear screws. I just got mine and they are great. You should be totally fine with the 1/2" threads.
        Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

I've recently gotten CP/M 2.2 up and running on the Sol-20 using a Micropolis FDC and Micropolis Mod-II drives. This could easily be extended to Mod-I drives if anyone needs it. It shouldn't be too hard to get Micropolis MDOS up and running on this platform as well if someone is looking is looking for that.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by deramp5113 View Post
            ....... I found and ordered a power switch......

Mike
            Would you happen to have a part number handy (after 7 years!) for the switch? I've looked at the Oslo Switch ones and the Q-Series looks promising, but I haven't yet had time to narrow down the choices that look like they will fit. I'm looking at Mouser at the moment.. Haven't yet checked Digikey.

Thx,
            Rick

Comment

A couple of part numbers are in the restoration doc I created while working on the Sol-20. See the 2nd paragraph here https://deramp.com/downloads/process...estoration.pdf

Mike

Comment

Jaycar sells a line power rocker switch that pushes and clicks in perfectly to the existing rectangular panel hole. It is probably available elsewhere:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/dpdt-large...witch/p/SK0981

My original Sol power switch had also malfunctioned, however I was able to open it up and repair it, oddly it was missing a small spring (one of two in there). It also had a translucent white button (with a chrome surround) with a neon bulb in there, that was not connected, very nice really.

I'm a bit of a fan for old switches and indicator lamps, especially with glass covers, like many made by Dialco. Recently I found some large neon indicator lamps that are the same as the ones used on the power panels at Alcatraz. When I went there and saw them I thought, Oh, have to get some of those.

While you are at it I would recommend stocking up on a replacement Fan too.

Comment

Thanks guys for the links and and other information about the switches and available options. I don't need it at the moment, but would like to have a replacement on hand should it decide to up and die. Good idea on the fan too Hugo. I've got numerous old PC case and PSU fans around, but I suspect the one in the Sol is better, if not for the construction aspects of it. (metal, weight, etc.). I'll check out these parts and decide.

Comment

Originally posted by redjr View Post
                    Thanks guys for the links and and other information about the switches and available options. I don't need it at the moment, but would like to have a replacement on hand should it decide to up and die. Good idea on the fan too Hugo. I've got numerous old PC case and PSU fans around, but I suspect the one in the Sol is better, if not for the construction aspects of it. (metal, weight, etc.). I'll check out these parts and decide.
                    Yes the SOL-20's fan is not like most modern computer fans at all. It is quite a piece of solid engineering. They are still available, I found some a while back on the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Corey986 View Post
                      One tip to everyone with a sol-20. Impressive machine yes, but think about this. There is a fan but no "exhaust" area for the air so you will have moisture accumulate because of the heat cycling.

Get some of those moisture absorbing packs that you get in vitamin bottles and put them under your keyboard and replace them about once or twice a year.

So there was a bit of an over site. BTW. PT's solution was to go aluminum for the covers and coat the chassis on later units. Not as easy or as cheap as creating exhaust ports at the front underneath the machine, which they should have.

But for a 1976 designed machine... Yes impressive for an all-in-one.

Cheers,
                      Corey
                      The fan is the exhaust! Last time I checked it blew out - about an 1 hr ago. Is yours blowing in?

Comment

Yes the fan blows outwards. Have a look at this article pages 23 on. It explains the thermal management problems in the SOL. In mine I added an auxiliary fan (without drilling any extra holes) that blows inwards to increase the air flow across the S-100 boards. It was not a wonderful idea to have the boards stacked horizontally as they did, because it traps the hot air between them, still, it made for a much more compact computer.

One other thing that helps is to run the SOL from a Variac. I use an automatic one I designed. But for a manual one, you just keep lowing the line voltage until ripple appears in the video signal, then just increase the line voltage a tad until the ripple vanishes. This results in the lowest possible thermal dissipation in all the regulator devices and the lowest possible temperature in the computer.

Don't be tempted to think you can replace the 7805 regulators with high efficiency switching types, in my experience these are hopeless and problematic and not a patch on the original 7805's,especially in terms of failure modes and over temperature and current overload shut-down properties, well thought out by the designers of the 7805, even though they are less efficient and generate more heat than a switching modules that some recommend without thinking through the failure modes and protective function in the original 7805.

https://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/P...A_RAM_CARD.pdf

Comment

Apparently, back in the late 70s, early 80s when I used it quite a lot, I never experienced any over heating issues (or that I was aware of). I even recall, there was a period of time in there where I had all the S-100 slots filled. And, in my particular case, I had two additional largish PCBs attached to the Sol mobo as well (video and Z80cpu upgrades). Maybe I was just lucky. Now, that I'm getting it back up and running, I haven't noticed any indications or behavior with regard to heat. Now admittedly I have not been doing any type of heavy processing either. I haven't been tempted to replace anything unless something fails. I ran it for 5yrs between 78-83 daily without issue, so I guess that's a testament to the original design and performance by Bob Marsh and others created. Of course some minor things were improved over the Sol's short production lifetime.

Comment

Apparently, back in the late 70s, early 80s when I used it quite a lot, I never experienced any over heating issues (or that I was aware of). I even recall, there was a period of time in there where I had all the S-100 slots filled. And, in my particular case, I had two additional largish PCBs attached to the Sol mobo as well (video and Z80cpu upgrades). Maybe I was just lucky. Now, that I'm getting it back up and running, I haven't noticed any indications or behavior with regard to heat. Now admittedly I have not been doing any type of heavy processing either. I haven't been tempted to replace anything unless something fails. I ran it for 5yrs between 78-83 daily without issue, so I guess that's a testament to the original design and performance by Bob Marsh and others created. Of course some minor things were improved over the Sol's short production lifetime
                            Actually I did not have any heat related "failures" in the SOL either, even when I had nearly all the board slots filled with various boards. It just it got too hot in there for my liking and I have seen the effects of this on shortening the life on various components. So I wanted it cooler. But it may well have been inside design parameters. Although I remember a post of some memory cards in a SOL failing when the temp came up. In any case IC's and electrolytic capacitors "love cool". This notion has applied in modern times, we have a server room at work, the units kept failing with monotonous regularity until we installed a high power air con system and dropped the temp to 16 deg C. now they practically never fail.

Comment

Maybe different memory cards (were designed), or didn't require the level of cooling you desired. I never owned any of PTs memory boards IIRC. I do like the idea of a fan like you installed, but it seems like such a 'brute force' approach to cooling. But if there's no other way..(Sol's design). I've always cooled things by simply pulling in cooler air through whatever vents you have and exhausting the warmer air. I agree that in most cases, heat is the enemy of electronic parts, and should be spec'ed according to the constraints of their design.

Comment

Maybe different memory cards (were designed), or didn't require the level of cooling you desired. I never owned any of PTs memory boards IIRC. I do like the idea of a fan like you installed, but it seems like such a 'brute force' approach to cooling. But if there's no other way..(Sol's design). I've always cooled things by simply pulling in cooler air through whatever vents you have and exhausting the warmer air. I agree that in most cases, heat is the enemy of electronic parts, and should be spec'ed according to the constraints of their design.
                                The thing is with the SOL, with the fan blowing outwards, it generates a negative pressure in the case, air gets drawn in around the keyboard, and though the slot in the back as there is a gap where the top cover fits, Only a small proportion of the air flow goes over the s-100 cards because the card carrier only has some small slots down the side facing the PSU unit . So the card cooling is pretty poor. But the power supply cooling is very good. This is why the S-100 cards get very hot without the added fan. A soon as the top cover is removed the airflow drops because the original fan takes in air from immediately above it, then there is negligible air flow across the cards, so when the cover is off it pays to place a book over the power supply section which then allows more air flow via the side slots in the power supply cage adjacent to the s-100 cards.

There are some fan cooled instruments that protest when their outer covers are removed. One classic case is the Tek 2465B scope. Without the cover on, the H deflection IC's cooling drops off and it overheats. But some service technicians don't know, so they leave it running out of the case for some hours while fixing other issues and the IC, now getting harder to get, a Tek IC (though Maxim made a clone) fails. The solution is either to blow a fan on it, or add a heatsink to it, which is what I did in all my scopes of this type.
                                Last edited by Hugo Holden; December 23, 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X