• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair kit / case

Roland Huisman

Veteran Member
Hello everyone,

I've seen a wonderful job of mr Grant Stockly making an Altair 8800 replica.
See: www.altairkit.com

Does anyone know if it's still available? I really would like to buy an Altair case.
But if I read on the web, I find some information about Grant not being
active with these kits. Does anyone know more about the availability?

Or does anyone have an Altair case for sale?

Regards, Roland

Last edited:
I nothing heard from Grant for more than five years...
The chance to get a kit from him might be impossible, unfortunately.

He did a new run less than two years ago IIRC. I was about to get one at the time and he sent me an order form. Unfortunately I was not in a position to pay that much at that particular time. I would now though, but I haven't checked if he has more of that new batch available. I don't know why the website wasn't updated though.

-Tor

My experience with Grant over the past few years is that he is on some kind of an extremely long cycle of responding to e-mail messages. If you send him a message (or two, or three) he is quite liable to answer you some months later. I think the last time I tried was something like 18 months ago. That would be consistent with the second run that Tor mentioned. IIRC, I got no answer for 3-4 months, then out of the blue he sent me the order form, but I was then not in a position to make the order. Too bad. If Grant was able to be more responsive, he might have been able to make some more sales.

I check the forum from time to time, but it has now been cleared out and has been in the "new forum coming soon" state for what, something like 9 months, it seems to me.

FWIW, I purchased an Altair Clone from Mike Douglas (http://altairclone.com/). I'm having a blast with it.

smp

Well, I've got this Imtair 8080 http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?42266-Imtair-8800

I would love to put a replica (or original of course!) case on it.

Yes, I saw your other thread, and I have already complimented you on your gorgeous system.

You know, Mike Douglas is around here - he is deramp5113 here on the Vintage Computer Forums. Send him a PM. It may be that your system could fit into his case, and he might be amenable to helping you out. If nothing else, maybe he can point you to the folks who make the cases for him, perhaps they might be able to sell one on the side?

Just a few random thoughts...

smp

I'm not sure how well the replica would fit in the 680 case. Significant size difference although I suppose if it doesn't have a huge motherboard it might work.
Altair680band8800-1975.gif

This is an interesting reproduction of an Altair 8800 in a 680 case. It's the AVR/emulated version with a regular ITX or miniatx type system inside.

@smp

Thanks! I've seen mikes replica. Really nice. I think my hardware does not
fit in there. I will sent him a PM to ask what he can do for me.

Really wonderful engineering those replica's!

I do also really like the 680, but one machine at the time please ;)

Back