• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8080 single board computer?

snuci

Veteran Member
This is probably the wrong forum but it's S-100 era so I apologize if it should be somewhere else.

I bought a bunch of items from someone recently and within a home-made computer keyboard enclosure (that looks totally cool) was, I believe, a full single board computer. That was a surprise to say the least. I've included a high resolution picture below. Has anyone ever seen it? I'd love to know what it is and who made it. Is there enough there to be a whole computer? The keyboard attached to the home-made case is made by Micro Switch. Looks to be from mid 70's?

8080 SBC.jpg

Edit: Sorry, it got resized. You can download a hi-res picture at this link here

Last edited:
Google "8080a hpr01" and you will find it. Seems to be a serial interface for Xerox Diablo terminals and printers.

As that was the only chip that could be removed, I did take a quick look. Here's a pic.

View attachment 22586

Seems a little late for the way it is marked and I'm surprised it wasn't stamped a little more cleanly.

CPU is in very good sharp, date 7604 is perfectly matches the early computer board.

Thank you.

For clarification, this is what the C8080a board was in. I thought it was cool just as a keyboard but we now know it has smarts. Note that the keyboard has the same key layout as the Diablo linked above:

8080 keyboard.jpg

This is the very definition of"homebrew" and I love it :)

On a related note, in a pile of documents I found the "Theory of Operation" schematics for this board (the HPR01) and the companion HPR02. It must have been available separately.

I'd sure love to see a high rez of the schematics, just for the fun of it. Can't make any practical justification. :)

Be careful handling the 8080 chip... don't want to zap it with static electricity. I just had to mention that just in case... I assume by your VCF membership stats in the right corer of your post that you'd know that.

Yeah that photo of the keyboard does look a little different from the photo of the Diablo terminal. I can see why that level of electronics was a surprise.

I saw the pressboard and 1x2 construction in your picture and for a moment I thought, "Wait, is this something *I* built?" A closer look at the details, though, and no, it's not. But the same basic techniques in many ways.

Back