• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Z80 PC Assembler

MykeLawson

Experienced Member
In my digging to find an easy, GUI based, Z-80 assembler I can run on my Win7 machine, I came across this thing that was written by Peter Hanratty back in 2006. It looks okay. I have written a few lines on it, compiled/assembled it, and saved the code as text. I am planning on taking the code and run it through the circuitry I am putting in my S-100 Z-80 that will take control of the bus via BUSRQ and write it directly to RAM via my PC's parallel printer port. Just wondering if anyone else has used this assembler, and what their thoughts were.

I use cross-32 from http://www.datasynceng.com/c32doc.htm.

It's not free - but it works well and supports a whole range of different processors. Some of the Z80 mnemonics are not 100% Zilog though (only a couple of small tiny changes - just to warn you).

It is a meta-assembler - meaning that you can write your own assembler tables for 'new' processors or other jobs. This is one of the reasons why I bought this package. I use some really obscure processors at work for which I needed a development environment under Windows - but no assembler was available on anything else other than the machine that I was developing for (a catch-22 situation). I developed my own assembler tables for my obscure processor and I could do most (not all) of my development on my laptop rather than persuading system operators that I really needed time on 'their' machine...

Dave

I can find ZDS II IDE in the Zilog Store. will that do the same thing as ZDS I IDE, or are they different?

While not a GUI based assembler, I use the following in dosbox:

Paragon ASMZ80.exe, by Microtec Research, Inc.
Paragon LODZ80.exe loader by Microtec Research, Inc.

These are from 1988 and can be run on almost any PC - I use an HP Omnibook 430 notebook.

It creates an Intel Hex file format.

Unfortunately, I only have the EXE files and not the documentation.

But it is really fast, even on an old computer.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Back