• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone has detailed schematics of Altair 8800 rev 0 silk-printed front panel?

leiy

Experienced Member
Does anyone has detailed schematics of Altair 8800 rev 0 silk-printed front panel? Thanks

Just schematics of silk screen front panel metal plate. I want to restore an Altair 8800 rev 0 that without a silk screen front penal. Thank you.

I have a 8800 case already, but only lack a silk screened metal plate front panel, so I decide to make one or buy a spare one from eBay for restoration purposes.

Last edited:
I have artwork for the front panel screen I use for the Altair 8800 Clone if you can't find anything else. It's very close to the original, but I must confess I went with the numeral "1" for 1's instead of the strait vertical L ("l") like MITS did. I planned on using the small L like MITS, but with the Helvertica font I have, the baseline and height of the small L differs from numerals, so it still didn't look like the original.

Mike

Thanks all above.

I have a spare case for this bare machine, but lack a front penal to restore. So I need to make one that just as the same as the original, or anyone has a spare REV 0 panel want to sell please not hesitate to send me a message.

altair_8800_without_front_panel.jpg

bare machine, but this one is a factory assembled.

altair_8800_without_front_panel01.jpg

altair_8800_without_front_panel02.jpg

altair_8800_without_front_panel03.jpg

altair_8800_without_front_panel04.jpg

Last edited:
ha lol that is in fact the one from austin goodwill :) I assume you the winner? Congrats, I think it was good price and exactly what I was thinking if I had won (but SOMEone outbid me) ;-) j/k I wasn't in the final running. On their auctions they said even local buyers would have to pay shipping, then we'd also have tax. Dunno if that is really the case but that makes buying it out of state a better price for those type of systems.

Yes, is me. I'm seeking a factory assembled Altair 8800 for a long time.

The interesting part of that factory assembled unit is the color (from the pics) of the wires between the Motherboards. They looked Red not white. or is that only some of the connections?

You might find Mike Douglas (altairclone), I don't recall but thought he also used the same manufacturer as Grant Stockly for his accurate size but ATX model. If so he may have the right size panels still.

You might find Mike Douglas (altairclone), I don't recall but thought he also used the same manufacturer as Grant Stockly for his accurate size but ATX model. If so he may have the right size panels still.

Isn't this Mike commenting just a few messages above?

I have artwork for the front panel screen I use for the Altair 8800 Clone if you can't find anything else. It's very close to the original, but I must confess I went with the numeral "1" for 1's instead of the strait vertical L ("l") like MITS did. I planned on using the small L like MITS, but with the Helvertica font I have, the baseline and height of the small L differs from numerals, so it still didn't look like the original.

Mike

Thanks for advice.

And here's my spare case. just lack silk screened front panel now.

altair8800case.jpg

I found an Altair 8800 on ebay that will ending in 13 hours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291407084061?.I suggest this one is not a REV 0 Altair 8800, so I guess the silk screened front panel style is not exactly match the SERIAL NO 221148A Altair 8800 (because I belive the SN 221148A is belong to early 1975 REV 0 bunch).

Does anyone have advice about this auction? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think you are better off having a new front panel Milled, powder coated and silk screened by a professional. Also have your case refinished. It may cost you, looking at the condition of the front panels out there and your spare case, going for a full restore may be the thing to do.

I would also suggest maybe doing a full restore on the rev0 electronics. A time consuming task but if you want an awesome working system that looks amazing. Why not.

I was showing off my fully restored Altair yesterday at the 40th annual Trenton Computer Festival and people were just floored looking at it and when I was able to cleanly load basic off of both cassette and paper tape it was very cool.

Cheers,
Corey

I think you are better off having a new front panel Milled, powder coated and silk screened by a professional. Also have your case refinished. It may cost you, looking at the condition of the front panels out there and your spare case, going for a full restore may be the thing to do.

I would also suggest maybe doing a full restore on the rev0 electronics. A time consuming task but if you want an awesome working system that looks amazing. Why not.

I was showing off my fully restored Altair yesterday at the 40th annual Trenton Computer Festival and people were just floored looking at it and when I was able to cleanly load basic off of both cassette and paper tape it was very cool.

Cheers,
Corey

Thanks for advice, I will do as best as I can.

Back