Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IMSAI newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMSAI newbie

A very nice looking IMSAI 8080 arrived today in the mail. Packed along with it were the following:

Ithaca IA-2000 Z80 CPU card
    TDL SMB system monitor board
    Godbout/CompuPro Econoram XIIIa RAM board (32K). Haven't figured out what this is mapped to yet (I guess I should read the fine manual).
    TDL Z16 RAM board (16K). The jumpers imply this occupies $0000-$3FFF.

Now, I should preface my stupid questions by saying this is exactly the second S-100 system I've ever owned, and exactly the first that was in any semblance of working order. My first was a questionably preserved Alpha Micro S-100 box which was more for historical interest than functionality. But I'd like to get this one to live.

I carefully checked everything before powering it on with no cards, and the front panel appears to light (but does weird things, to be mentioned).

Next I tried installing the CPU board. The Ithaca board has a 20-pin header for the front panel, but the panel connector has 16 pins. I guessed that it went in the rightmost 16 and it resets, runs and stops, at least. I powered it on with all the address toggles on zero. If I press EXAMINE NEXT, it advances its address bus lights. I didn't try to do anything else at this point.

Next I tried installing the Z16 board since I had a good guess that mapped to the bottom of memory. Here's where it gets weird. Going through memory with EXAMINE NEXT, data bits 0 and 6 light alternately. If I try to store with DEPOSIT, nothing is stored. Plus, some of the address lines now stick high, which may be why I can't store anything since they're indicating addresses outside of the Z16 addressing range. Toggling the switch makes no difference.

Am I an idiot, or is something wrong? What would be the next suggestion to try investigating?
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I bought a TDL Z16 once for my Altair it turned out it to be faulty, not saying yours is. It had the same issues as you are seeing, certain data bits were stuck high. You address the Z16 using the jumper wires on the front. And from what I remember there is a switch block to enable each of the four k blocks. The first thing I would check is what location it's addressed at. You can download the manual from s100computers.com:

http://s100computers.com/Hardware%20...016K%20RAM.htm
    My collection: http://tkc8800.com

Comment

It's not the data lines that are stuck high, it's certain *address* lines. The data lines just seem to cycle.

The board is jumpered to $0000-$3FFF (see above). I do have the manual, but thank you for the link.

Comment

The pattern you are seeing could be the normal state of the ram board when powered on but the front panel is not compat. with the write mem line so it looks stuck. check card jumpers for front panel compatibility. the docs for the ram card may have a "for front panel systems you should..."

I could be wrong, because if I am right to suspect this it poses the question why is the card jumpered this way to begin with? Did the seller throw in a RAM card to make the system appear complete but orig this card came from someplace else?
        @ BillDeg:
        Web: vintagecomputer.net
        Twitter: @billdeg
        Youtube: @billdeg
        Unauthorized Bio

Comment

What would you expect it to be jumpered to? (serious question, I really have no idea).

Any idea why address lines would get stuck like that?

Comment

I read the manual. I don't think you need to jumper the card to be compatible with a front panel system. You could check 1000 2000 3000 blocks to see if you have an issue with the entire card or just one block of RAM. If the whole card is not working remove the card and test the EconoRAM card.

Does the Godbout card allow you to deposit values into memory and retrieve them? If so then that means you have a good front panel and CPU card. You should make sure. The manuals for the version of the EconoRAM are online, but be sure you get the correct one. I am guessing the EconoRAM is jumpered to start at 8000 (left-most paddle up, everything else down.). Confirm the jumpers. Then examine/examine next to see if you have garbled memory, then attempt to deposit into 8000, 8001, 8002, etc. (or where ever it starts)

If that's also screwed up, you may have to return to the CPU card and check that out. Do you have an S100 riser card? You can use to mount the card you're testing above the chassis to easily get at it with a voltmeter, logic probe, or scope.

Not sure if you have done that kind of work before, but here you go...IMSAIs and Altairs are never just turn on a go .

Circling back to the Z16 if you have some troubleshooting experience here is what I'd start with....check U2 on the Z16 card for the signals described in the manual. The manual has a pretty good walk through of the how the card works. Check for hot chips on the Z16. Turn the switches off and on a few times to be sure they're really set as they look to be, the switch may be marginal and not actually set to 0000. You can try other memory locations just to see if you have different results.

Lastly - I assume you don't have a PROM card or other card interfering with 0000.

Bill
            Last edited by billdeg; April 9, 2015, 04:57 PM.
            @ BillDeg:
            Unauthorized Bio

Comment

I confirmed the jumpers on the EconoRAM and installed just that and the Z80 card and set the address to $8000. It looks like, happily, the stuck address line are just sticky front panel switches. I cranked them up and down a few times and was able to get them to settle down, and stored several random patterns in sequential locations on the EconoRAM and was able to read them back accurately.

I haven't tried running a sample program, but is there an easy way to clean those switches before I continue? It seems like a little TLC on the front panel would save me a lot of grief when I try to get the other two cards working.

Thanks for your help, Bill.

Comment

First vaccum and or blow out any dust first depending on the status of the item, then clean with mild soap, dry thoroughly then use a product like DeOxit to remove anything that's left. if there is rust, use a little CLR in the soap..
                @ BillDeg:
                Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Should I take the front panel off to do that? If so, what's the easiest way to do it? Just undo the screws embedded in the acrylic?

Comment

Don't use a vacuum, whatever you do - they have a tendency to build up large amounts of static electricity, and that's just begging for a sad, sad accident when combined with computer parts. A blow dryer might work, but I'd just use a can of compressed air instead.
                    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
                    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
                    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

Take good notes, the front panels of the IMSAI 8080 are not easy to re-assemble. Take your time.

http://vintagecomputer.net/imsai/8080_number2/

Bill
                      @ BillDeg:
                      Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Pleased to report that the switches are now mostly functional. They still stick a little now and then, but it was able to run its first program on the RAM board at $8000 cycling the output lights tonight:

http://www.floodgap.com/iv/2574

The next thing to do when I get a round tuit is to get the other RAM board and the SMB board working, but this is very encouraging.

Comment

Working...
                        X