• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some detailed photos of absolutely early Altair 8800

leiy

Experienced Member
Some detailed photos of absolutely early Altair 8800,

I call it absolutely early, because it produced in 1974, serial: 220023A

This computer has distinct features that later one not have.

The shape of back connector slot is different from later produced rev.0 Altair 8800, since later produced rev.0 Altair 8800 have round conner. (see photo below)

1.jpg

The fuse also remains stock: (see photo below)

2.jpg

The light-yellow colored pillar(card holder) of this absolutely early one is distinct from later produced rev.0 Altair 8800 (see photo below)

3.jpg

I will upload more photo later.

Last edited:
more high definition photo:

1.jpg

And finally I get the full front panel.....
4.jpg

Almost new, I'm wordless.
9.jpg

The PSU, almost new....
6.jpg

Particular details: right side cable of CPU board, 23th style
2.jpg

Right side of PSU
7.jpg

The CPU board with stock C8080 K9897
8.jpg

Photo shot at CPU board at different angle
3.jpg

Inside view: left side of front panel
10.jpg

Last edited:
I tested the machine with program below, It function perfectly.

As far as I know, there have a FDC+ board exist, that can bring this stock computer to full fledge.

11.jpg

manual.jpg

I'm finally, no hesitate.

Thank God for giving me the opportunity to have this computer.

Last edited:
SERIAL NO. 220023A

23th produced. I strongly believe it was produced at the same time & same place with NO.220001A, although I have no way to find NO.220001A.

23th.jpg

*below the 23th altair is a rev.0 Altair Disk

Wow, that is gorgeous! Would be keen to learn the story behind this system. How did you acquire it? How is it still so pristine?

Awesome. Are you going to fix the slight ding on the top cover in the back. From the eBay pics it doesn't look like any paint is actually damaged so maybe a dent less paint guy can fix by heating up the paint to be flexible and working the debt out?

Wow, that is gorgeous! Would be keen to learn the story behind this system. How did you acquire it? How is it still so pristine?

I'm acquired it from ebay. And I believe the original owner remains the machine in stock configuration and keep it in dry and clean environment, that is the reason its looks like so pristine.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Awesome. Are you going to fix the slight ding on the top cover in the back. From the eBay pics it doesn't look like any paint is actually damaged so maybe a dent less paint guy can fix by heating up the paint to be flexible and working the debt out?

There has some dent on the right side back of top cover, I‘m planning to let a professional man to do the sheet metal work.

Thank you.

SERIAL NO. 220023A

23th produced. I strongly believe it was produced at the same time & same place with NO.220001A, although I have no way to find NO.220001A.

23th.jpg

*below the 23th altair is a rev.0 Altair Disk

I suspect if any of us found Altair #1 we would not be able to afford it. Some years ago Colt SAA #1 was found in a barn. It is literally priceless. But you can see pictures of it here:

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/86151410449/the-first-colt-single-action-army-in-1872-colt

I suspect if any of us found Altair #1 we would not be able to afford it. Some years ago Colt SAA #1 was found in a barn. It is literally priceless. But you can see pictures of it here:

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/86151410449/the-first-colt-single-action-army-in-1872-colt

The #1, I suppose is not looks like photos on Popular Electronic Magazine cover. The #2, I spotted on video of Triumph of The Nerds. But questions about this #2 machine emerge, the backside of "#2 Altair" on this video is actually from a 8800b or 8800BT.

Thanks for sharing about 1872 colt, that's beautiful. Maybe #1 Altair will find in a barn some day.

Last edited:
In this context, would the #1 Altair be the one that first shipped which never arrived? The one without an Altair bus (S100)? Or is #1 considered the next one, which didn't disappear and was reworked to have the bus.

-Tor

Back