Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Help identify this video board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identify this video board

Can anyone identify this S100 video board? I don't see any brand names marked on it.

Unknown_video.jpg

Blue Board

Originally posted by new_castle_j View Post
    Can anyone identify this S100 video board? I don't see any brand names marked on it.
    Well, I *thought* it was a Solid State Music ("The Blue Boards") bd at first, but the VDB-1 had a different layout.

You have got to love the technical *exactedness* of the etching "VI DEO BD / REV B" :}
    Kinda takes me back to the MA&PA atmosphere of the S100 business in the '70s - Pretty cool actually!

Not too many S100 boards used blue colored material, but a few did, so I'll keep looking...

gwk
    Last edited by griffk; July 10, 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Looks a little *hobbyist* to me.

The layout is missing a lot of normal guideline heuristics, some odd connector choices, the power etches so close to the edge of the board... bad. I'm naturally suspicious with their regulator with no heatsink... perhaps it hit the sweet zone of needing that package's current but not needing heatsinking... normally that's a technical oversight. Even saw that in S-100 boards by Octagon in the early 80s.

I'm curious about the intended function, appears to have a lot of byte-wide static ram though the photo resolution doesn't really allow reading many chip IDs. Seems to have more 40-pin chips than it should need. Maybe its there to do "sprites" or offloading the system for early game rendering?

Maybe it was a home entrepreneur's design development that never really got to market? Maybe it was done by a small contracting firm and they needed a display to meet special client requirements... they could better afford to design a one-off board.

What do you know of the board's history? Where'd you get it? etc..

Can you provide some binary or hex dump of the eproms? That's a good place to find project names and credits.
      Last edited by JDallas; July 10, 2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Definitely looks like a hobbyist/home made board.
        John

Comment

I am not sure..I photoshopped it and enlarged/contrast enh, etc., and came up with an 8237 ir 8257 for the left-hand 40pin chip (either way its a DMA controller), and then the Toshiba is static ram, and I can't make out much more on the big chips...

The traces look pretty clean and professional - no undercut apparent, straight and consistent. It might have been done in a small PCB house, and it had to be from someone who had layout tools (since stuff like OrCad and such was pretty rare in 'the '70s). Had to have been done on a mini/workstation, I think...

Can the OP get a closer/clearer set of pics for the chips--that *might* tell us more.

gwk

Comment

Originally posted by JDallas View Post
            the power etches so close to the edge of the board...
            That is GND, going around the outside, and I have seen many S100 bds do this, But now I'm wondering about the ribbon cable coming off in the middle--could this have been an early "capture" board, for doing grabs from a video camera, to, say, print dye-sub on coffee cups or t-shirts???

gwk

Comment

Archive.zip
              Thanks for all the replies, I took the eproms off and captured their contents.

I don't know any history on this board, it came with a box of other old computer stuff. Is anyone interested in it? PM me and it's yours, just pay shipping.

Comment

I can't see any ASCII text in either EPROM.

The LEFT EPROM contains the executable machine code.

The RIGHT EPROM is a character generator.

The CPU is clearly an 8080/8085/Z80 (or one of the 'clones') as the instruction at location 0x0000 is 'C3' (an absolute jump) to address 0x0100 where there is code to load up the Stack Pointer with 0x9FDF (which must be RAM of course).

The character generator appears to contain the ASCII characters from SPACE (0x20) up to (and including) 0x7E (it may also include 0x7F as a 'block' character). Each character consists of what looks like 8 bits wide by 11 lines high (but not all the bits may be used of course - my guess is that only 7 bits of the width are actively used (with the most significant bit of the byte either remaining unused or blank as an inter-character gap)). The first line (top line) of each character appears to be blank. The bulk of the character occupies the next 7 lines with what looks like a potential descender line and two further blank lines on the 'bottom' of the character.

Dave
                Last edited by daver2; July 12, 2015, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by griffk
                  ...Had to have been done on a mini/workstation...
                  I disagree... looks taped to me.
                  Last edited by JDallas; July 16, 2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X