• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tarbell Cassette I/F

griffk

Experienced Member
I have an S100 Tarbell Cassette bd (given to me by Don in Compton/Carson circa 1976) and would like to test I/O, but I can't seem to find any of the media I had. Does anyone have any Tarbell cassettes they will part with for a trade or $?

Doesn't matter if it's Chess or whatever-just need a reliable tape to test read.

tx,
gwk

I have a tarbell cassette board but it's in a box somewhere, but I do have some 20 or so tapes made with it (wayyy back when). I'm getting the urge to convert them to mp3 files on my pc; then I could record them back to tape and send to you. I need to get a cassette tape deck this weekend from goodwill first though.

Plus, I'm just down the road from you, so shipping will be cheap. Or even easier, I could email you the mp3 files and you could record them to cassettes yourself.

Edit: also, I totally forgot I have a nice panasonic cassette recorder/player that I got specifically to do this... So this weekend I'll see if I can get some tapes converted to mp3.

Well I got the cassettes out and have been fiddling with recording off them, not done yet. I found one cassette with some basic programs on it for an Imsai 8080 (life, star trek, etc), and a piece of paper with a track listing, so I can tell which program is which! Basic programs will be pretty useful as a test, as even if it won't run on the basic you have on your s100 machine, it should still be readable as ascii.

I can get the sounds into my pc, and am experimenting with amplifying the signal via the audacity sound editor program (it's pretty weak off the cassette player), seems to work pretty well. I should have something for you tomorrow night (pacific US time).

I'll actually not save them in mp3 (lossy) format, but in some lossless format. Since audacity runs on windows, mac, and linux, I'll save the files in FLAC; I know audacity can write and read that on all platforms. Then you can for sure use audacity to play back the audio to your computer's speaker out and plug a cable from there to a cassette tape recorder and recreate the cassette tape.

It's been pretty fun listening to the sounds, takes me back to the old days. I only used tapes for a little while, but the sounds are similar to a slow modem. I can hear bits in my headphone!

Jeff

Last edited:
Ok, I've done one side of one tape, let me know how it works for you. I've amplified the original recorded sound on my pc by 15db as the original was fairly quiet.

Link to google folder with audio file and jpb of contents sheet: https://drive.google.com/folderview...FSYk5HMGtGZU5rNUE1dDJFYmtSS2pISmM&usp=sharing

Btw, tonight I realized you wouldn't even need to record this back on a cassette - you could play it straight from your pc into the tarbell cassette board.

Back