• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Sol 20 case screw fastener thread

snuci

Veteran Member
Nama and I were conversing through PMs about replacement Sol 20 screws. I thought it might be good to show these in case anyone else was interested.

Nama bought some replacement screws from this eBay auction as I have done in the past and for his Sol 20, they wouldn't fit. I have two different case models within my Sol 20s where the replacement screws would fit in one but not the other. I told Nama I would take some pics so here they are in case anyone else is interested.

This is Sol 20 #1 and it has a small hole. You will notice there is a hole in the blue top cover.
Sol-20 1 Left hole.jpg

This is Sol 20 #1 with the replacement screw in place. It is a little loose but once screwed down completely, it holds in place properly.
Sol-20 1 Right hole with screw.jpg

This is Sol 20 #2 that has a different hole. The top case slides over the screws that can simply be loosened since it is not a simple hole.
Sol-20 3 Right hole.jpg

On Sol #2, I have the original screw fastener. This is what it looks like holding down the top cover.
Sol-20 3 Right hole with screw.jpg

This is a picture of both screws side-by-side. There is definitely some diameter difference.
Sol 20 screws.jpg

Nama, you probably have a Sol 20 like my bottom one, correct?

I should check the serial numbers to see which one is older. There are at least two different case types. I have two of the first and I bought screws for both so I don't know what the original screws for that model looks like. I have one of the second but it has the screws so we know what that looks like. If anyone has case style #1, I'd love to see a picture of the screws.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Hi snuck,
Thanks for thanking those photos, makes things a little clearer.
I guess my Sol is the one with the larger diameter holes because, as you mentioned, my newly purchased bolts just seemed to slide in and out. Unfortunately my SOL came without the serial number sticker, so I can't help with if it's an early model or a later revision.

Thanks again

Phil

"There is definitely some diameter difference."

Not just diameter difference. One looks like a normal machine screw thread. The other is a square thread. Good luck finding those in your local hardware store. In the interest of completeness, have you by chance measured the threads in the holes? Sometimes close enough is good enough. Sometimes close enough will bite you on the behind.

Upon further review....

The screw with the square threads goes into a hole that has the mating "threads" formed out of the sheet metal. The hole isn't really threaded at all. It's similar to the grabbers in a Tinnerman "push on" nut.

Last edited:
Back