• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Plug and Play RS-232 Connection for Teletype Model 33

deramp5113

Veteran Member
I've developed a small board that provides a plug and play connection between a Teletype Model 33 and an RS-232 serial port. Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the new board. (If you don't want to watch the whole video, start watching at the 4:20 mark in the video.)

https://youtu.be/PNbo46Yw92M

The new board plugs directly onto the P2 connector in the rear of the Model 33 Teletype where it picks up the transmit and receive data loops and also picks up power from the 48vac supply provided on the connector. The RS-232 connection is via an RJ-14 modular jack. Modular DB-25 and DB-9 connectors for the other end of the cable are still readily available.

The board uses SMT components and the 16 pin switching regulator has 0.5mm lead spacing. In addition, the back of the regulator (inaccessible with a soldering iron) is a large ground pad and must be soldered to the board for proper thermal conduction. For these reasons, the board will have to be pre-assembled by an SMT assembly house.

Pricing will be $40-$70 depending on how many boards I run. If you are seriously interested in buying one of these boards, please contact me at deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name so I can get a count started and run the first batch as soon as possible.

Mike

I've developed a small board that provides a plug and play connection between a Teletype Model 33 and an RS-232 serial port. Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the new board. (If you don't want to watch the whole video, start watching at the 4:20 mark in the video.)

https://youtu.be/PNbo46Yw92M

The new board plugs directly onto the P2 connector in the rear of the Model 33 Teletype where it picks up the transmit and receive data loops and also picks up power from the 48vac supply provided on the connector. The RS-232 connection is via an RJ-14 modular jack. Modular DB-25 and DB-9 connectors for the other end of the cable are still readily available.

The board uses SMT components and the 16 pin switching regulator has 0.5mm lead spacing. In addition, the back of the regulator (inaccessible with a soldering iron) is a large ground pad and must be soldered to the board for proper thermal conduction. For these reasons, the board will have to be pre-assembled by an SMT assembly house.

Pricing will be $40-$70 depending on how many boards I run. If you are seriously interested in buying one of these boards, please contact me at deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name so I can get a count started and run the first batch as soon as possible.

Mike

Hi Mike
Will it take 5V TTL serial levels?
Dwight

Hi Mike
The reason I ask is that now days most had a USB to ftdi converter. There are times when I'd like to connect to my, otherwise, useless laptop. I believe the ftdi uses the same polarity swing for mark and space as RS232.
The price your asking comes with the molex connector and such?
Dwight

Dwight,

The board will be shipped fully assembled including the Molex connector on the back side of the board and the modular jack on the component side of the board.

The unit will work fine with a serial to USB adapter connected to a laptop if your adapter's chipset and the Windows driver for it are happy at 110 baud.

Mike

Back