• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Processor Technology 16KRA board repairs and Delay Lines.

Hugo Holden

Veteran Member
I have been repairing 16KRA memory boards for my SOL-20. In one case the digital delay line had failed. I have written an article about this and my attempts to deal with it:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/PROCESSOR_TECHNOLOGY_16kRA_RAM_CARD.pdf

This should be of interest to those with this memory card.

Along the way an astonishing thing happened:

In 1977 or thereabouts Processor Technology placed an order with Data Delay Devices of Clifton NJ, for a custom delay line for the 16KRA card of 100 nS, 150nS, 250nS and 350nS. These delays are not standard. This was required to coordinate the machine cycle of the 16KRA card.

41 years later Data Delay Devices can still build this module. It is the best example of long term product support for a custom component that I have ever encountered. The story is in section 5 of the article.

Did “Data Delay Devices” give you a quote and a minimum quantity to create a new run of the “delay lines”? I may be up for a bunch of spare delay lines. I have a bunch of PT ram cards and even have some missing the delay line.
Cheers,
Corey

Corey,

I simply requested 5 pcs and they made them for $20.68 each and posted them by air mail.

I know that quite a few of the PT cards have missing delay lines now, like 48KRA cards. I think most likely Data Delay Devices can make these too, it is wonderful. Without these parts of course the ram card is inoperable. I'm really impressed by a company that supports its products like this, it is wonderful. Also, as noted in my article, I had an attempt to make a delay module myself with an L-C delay line and after that it really made me admire the skill and precision that goes into making these modules. The price is excellent value for money.

Can you PM me the contact information for them so I can simply have them do the same for me? I don’t want to have to re-explain everything you already did.

Thanks,
Corey

Here is their website with the contact details. All you will have to provide is their part number for their device, in the case of the 16KRA card it is DDU-4-7672, and request the quantity. 5 pcs or more is obviously a reasonable number to request from them. (I'm not sure of the part number of the delay line on the 48KRA card as I do not have one of these cards yet and I'm pretty sure it was different to the 16KRA one)

http://www.datadelay.com

Back