• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WALKING MAN for the SOL-20.

Hugo Holden

Veteran Member
I just finished my "Walking Man" for the SOL-20. And put up a brief you tube video.

It was harder than it looks. Part of the problem with a walking stick figure is that if the arms & legs (R&L) don't look different, then when they swing past the central axis (or body) and leave again, the brain can interpret that they have simply reversed directions and in that case a walking motion is not simulated. So to get the brain (visual system) to think they have swung past the body, they need to have a different posture for the R & L arms and legs. Since in this case there are only a limited number of character symbol positions on the screen to get a plausible looking shape is was tricky to get the walking to look realistic. On top of that I have only just learnt some 8080 assembly language and it was a challenge for me to program it (I mainly work on the hardware side of things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pebj4s1sUU0

I got the idea for this from some simple walking man graphics I have seen at pedestrian crossings and the simplicity of them has always appealed to me.

Do you want to post the code?

smp

It is still a work in progress, I haven't figured out yet how to exit the program properly and get back to CP/M, or back to Solos if the program is on its own in the TPA so I'm working on that now.

Back