• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair 4K RAM Board???

smp

Veteran Member
Take a look at this (not mine):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITS-4k-RA...229670?hash=item2cebe53b26:g:2AQAAOSwKs1c8x~x

I see the Altair 4K RAM Board indication on the board, but 6116 RAM chips are 2Kx8, so this looks like it's been modified into a 32K RAM board to me.

Can anyone verify this? What chips did the original Altair 4K RAM board have? I don't know of an Altair RAM board that used 24 pin chips.

Thanks!

smp

Yeah, I saw this listing on Sunday and let the seller know it's actually no longer an Altair 4K RAM board. The 4K board was used as a backbone on which the owner built a 32K RAM board (as you noticed). He said the original builder was an accomplished engineer and had modded nearly everything quite heavily. I noticed he never changed the listing or added information about this fact though.

Mike

It looks like a ton of tracks are ripped up on the board, someone probably just hacked it into a SRAM board.

As far as I know, the common MITS 4K board was a highly unreliable dynamic RAM board, the old MITS 88-4KD. This board looks like an old 88-4KD, or was originally. I'm guessing someone had one in their junk bin and used it as a sort of protoboard. Seems like a lot of effort!

That is kind of amazing. I have a mental image of the guy who did that angrily holding the board against a belt sander to get rid of the original traces.

The original MITS 4K board was 4K DRAM board using those 2107-type 22-pin 0.400" DIP chips.

It was terrible--subject to dropping bits if you leaned on the RESET switch too long. I dumped and its companion as soon as I could for the 8K 21L02/96L02 boards with 64 SRAM chips on them.

Back