• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Electronic Systems S100 Video Terminal Board

falter

Veteran Member
I've been trying for a while now to find an Electronics Systems' TV Typewriter board, I believe also referred to as the 'Bay Area TVT'. I've had no luck on that front, but I did stumble across this S100 board of theirs. It appears to be a serial terminal on an S100 card. Haven't found a ton of information on it. I'm guessing it offers a couple of functions, 1) being able to use your S100 computer as a dumb terminal (don't know why you'd want to.. but you could, I guess), or 2) a weird kind of video card.

Interestingly, it has two spots for a 2513 char gen. I'm not really sure why.

Anyway, here are high res scans of it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfFFyc-sBcKQPwxf_ewItphScCPtVxC-/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fizB26AjpVxk1iS1jaLRM-K4OJITZ25o/view?usp=sharing

Far as i know the 2513 only ever did upper case. I could be corrected.

I'm guessing you could plug this into an SIO enabled Altair and effectively 'dial' into it. Perhaps less challenging for an Altair user than having to program and set up hardware for a direct video out card.

Found an Ad for it here:

Video Terminal Board Ad.jpg

That's kind of cool - you could actually build the thing into a stand alone terminal.

Far as i know the 2513 only ever did upper case. I could be corrected.

I'm guessing you could plug this into an SIO enabled Altair and effectively 'dial' into it. Perhaps less challenging for an Altair user than having to program and set up hardware for a direct video out card.

Signetics would put whatever you wanted into a 2513 ROM if you ordered enough of them. For example Mike Willegal has some $10 lowercase 2513s

I did not know that. I'm hoping if I ever find the manual for this board it'll clear matters up. I'm guessing lowercase/graphics or something must be what the second 2513 is for then.

That's usually the case--you'd see that in early terminals. I have a set of 3 ROMs from a terminal that provided the complete EBCDIC character set.

Back