• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New pcb design for S-100 prototype board available

Ragooman

Experienced Member
I've been working on a pcb design for a S-100 prototype board. I noticed a few people on the forums asking about this. I decided to make this since this is a big hobby of mine too(member-MARCH club). I based this design on a old prototype board I kept back from the S-100 days. It's made by Electronic Control Technology.

Here's a link to the picture
http://pghvintage.home.comcast.net/pics/S-100/s-100_prototypeboard.jpg

There were several different styles made before--each with their own advantages. This prototype board(in pic) has the rows in a vertical pattern to allow 300mil and 600mil DIP packages. It also accommodates 2 voltage regulators. Then there were some which only had a grid of solder pads to allow any arrangement of 300mil and 600mil DIP packages.

I like to ask everyone what their preference might be in the arrangement of the solder pads, eg: vertical rows, horizontal rows, grid, etc. If I get enough feedback, I can include 2 different styles. It's not much work to alter the design. I have a panel setup to include 2 pcb designs at the moment, and it can be any 2 kinds of S-100 designs. In the future, I like to setup a bigger panel to include several more S-100 designs.

Since this is mainly a hobby for me, I thought I might help out and offer this service. I'm designing this from my home workshop and intend to make this an affordable hobby. In case anyone is interested, with enough orders(minimum 30) then I can offer these for only $15 each.

please send any feedback.
=Dan Roganti

Ragooman,
Fantastic! Kudos! Hear, Hear! Three cheers for Ragooman!

Put me down for 3 boards. My preference is just a plain grid with through holes but will accept any variety which comes along since S-100 prototype boards are about as rare as hens teeth. I searched for months before finding any. I will get some just to be on the safe side even if I do not need them.

I have some examples to use as design guides you can use if you'd like. If by some accident you do not sell out your inventory here you can always post on comp.os.cpm or on ebay. I'd bet you could make a small fortune there. The darn things are about as hard to get as a S-100 CPU board.

Congratulations! THANK YOU!

Andrew Lynch

PS, Now if we could just get a S-100 Z80 CPU PCB design... :)

Andrew,

Thanks for the support.
I'll reserve 3 on the list for you, that's 5 total so far, 25 to go.

I can make the 2nd desigin in the panel with just a grid pattern and bus bars for the power. I'll post the final design soon to let everyone see what's on it.

I'm hoping that others would like to join in.
This is only a batch production, I won't have an inventory.
I would need to wait till there's 30 orders before I can get this made.

There's somebody else that mentioned a Z80 card, Bob Applegate, on the MARCH group list. I guess this might be worthwhile to make as a kit. I'll look into this too.

=Dan

So is that 4 cheers for Ragooman or 6? Lets go with 6!

Sounds great. Give the kind people here on vintage-computer.com a few days to digest the news and if it still does not develop a full order of 30, I recommend posting on comp.os.cpm and or the cctech mailing list. That should definitely drum up the remaining for a full order.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

thanks Andrew,
I've been busy recently with my face glued to the screen working on this.
I like to say thanks for all the suggestions(from all the forums/groups) that everyone sent.

I updated the page to include images of the pcb design and the cad design(3D)
Anyone else that might be interested in this, I can add your name to the list on there.
You can see the current work on my homepage.
http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/rog.html

=Dan

Hi,

I checked out the webpage. Very nice. However, please put me down for 3 of the prototype cards.

I would like to help out on the FDC card as well with you and Grant. I have a simple i8272 (NEC 765) based soft sector floppy controller for my Test Prototype homebuilt Z80 computer.

I have it built and started the software testing when I suspended the project due to the more urgent issues with the NorthStar restoration.

Actually, the prototype card you have and the FDC circuit would be a natural match.

Lets talk more about this. Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Ok, you're on there for 3 -- thanks again !

I updated the webpage to include the other people.
The current total is now 15 people

Grant is spearheading the FDC project. I keep tabs on it between other things. Basically, he wants to convert from the 8" to 3.5" floppies while trying to retain as much disk space on a 720K/1.44MB floppy when formatted.

=Dan

Back