Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Yeah, I'd go with the 200ns part as well.
    20200302_161312.jpg

Got the new 2114's, first thing I did was tested them. Right out of the tube 1 works and one didn't. Only needed 1 though, so I threw it in and after a few flips of the power switch and I'm now getting a clean monitor screen! Any commands you recommend (for diagnostics, etc) while in the VG monitor? I'm going to have to read up on it. Also am finding a number of the keys on the keyboard are not responding it all (system makes a soft beep on each key press). I'm guessing I may need to replace some of the switches?

So, I guess onto the next issue.. I have no way to boot any software. When I found this, it was with a Micropolis dual 1053-II disk drive. However, I have no disks and the bigger problem is there was no FDC board in the computer. How would you recommend proceeding? Disks would be cool and all, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a GoTek either..

Comment

If there's no FDC board you'll need to find one... and then write a boot ROM which knows how to boot from it. And then port CP/M to it. Which is, ahem, a great learning experience but maybe not what you're looking for.

I don't know much about S100 machines, but original FDC cards are painfully expensive. I know of at least one modern DIY alternative which uses IDE/Compact Flash cards instead of actual disk drives: http://s100computers.com/My%20System...IDE%20Card.htm ...but you'll need to build it yourself.

I don't know if there's a newer SD based card available. It's possible your machine has a user port with enough GPIO pins that you could use to bitbang an SD card with --- it'd be slow but fairly easy. You'd still need to blow an EPROM, though.

Comment

Easiest way to get CP/M up would be to use a Vector Graphic FDC card and try to find someone with a spare 8" floppy with a copy of V.G.'s CP/M installed. That way you'd be running a complete V.G. board set and CP/M ASAP. I believe V.G. also made a dual FDC/HDD board. The V.G. board set info, history and some manuals can be found on the S-100 computers web site: http://s100computers.com/Hardware%20...%20History.htm

Your keyboard might need some keytops pulled and the switches cleaned up. The original photo showed a lot of crud on your keys.
        Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

20200303_080734.jpg20200303_080652.jpg

Thanks guys.. I should have mentioned that when I found it, it was with this disk drive - Micropolis 1053-II which takes hard-sectored 5 1/4" floppies. However, I've read these are hard to come by, too? Still, I'd need the FDC for it.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the switches - will give that a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by nullvalue View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]59493[/ATTACH]Any commands you recommend (for diagnostics, etc) while in the VG monitor?
            Here's a link to a manual for the VG monitor. It's a pretty full featured monitor. You'll find the memory test command useful for testing the rest of the RAM in your system.
            https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...itor%204.1.pdf

I am finding a number of the keys on the keyboard are not responding it all (system makes a soft beep on each key press). I'm guessing I may need to replace some of the switches?
            Your keyboard has a large number of keys that are not on the standard keyboard that the VG monitor expects. If the system is beeping for the keypress, it sounds like the switch itself is working. Then again, VG used the capacitive Keytronics keyboard in their FlashWriter based computers and terminals, so if this is also a Keytronics keyboard, I can guarantee you'll have foam switch pads to replace. See the "Keyboard" section on this page for more information https://deramp.com/vector_graphic.html.

So, I guess onto the next issue.. I have no way to boot any software. When I found this, it was with a Micropolis dual 1053-II disk drive. However, I have no disks and the bigger problem is there was no FDC board in the computer. How would you recommend proceeding? Disks would be cool and all, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a GoTek either..
            See "Floppy Drives" towards the bottom of this page https://deramp.com/vector_graphic.html. You have the Micropolis drives mentioned there. They will work with the Micropolis controller or the Tandon controller mentioned there. I see the Micropolis controller on eBay fairly often. I may also have a spare to sell, I'll have to look. The Vintage Computer Museum guy on eBay has three it looks like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Grap...cAAOSw84xdbR7M

There are a large collection of Micropolis floppy disk images ready to write at the link below. These include both VG branded CP/M, Lifeboat CP/M, and MDOS (Micropolis's disk operating system). Utilities are there to write a new floppy using a serial transfer from your PC to the VG system. This can be done even on a cold machine with no bootable floppy. See
            https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_graphic/software/ for disk images and disk transfer utilities. You'll want to choose from the "56K" configurations as that is how your system appears to be configured (see ReadMe.pdf here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20controller/)

The Micropolis controller uses 16 hard sector disks. These disk can still be found. I can get you a box of ten if you need.

The Micropolis drives can be hard to restore, especially if the hub bearings are bad. The bearings are difficult to remove without breaking the plastic that holds them in place. I'd remove the belts and work some WD-40 into the hub bearings and hub clamp bearings and see if you can eventually get them to spin freely. If not, they may not be worth trying to restore. Also, the complex door/eject mechanism will need cleaning and a lot of fresh grease.

As an alternative, you can also use a couple of 96tpi half-height drives like the Teac 55-GFR's that are still readily available and reliable. You won't be able to interchange media with someone using the 100tpi Micropolis drive, but you can interchange media between your drives.

Mike

Comment

20200303_090729.jpg

Yes the keyboard is a Key Tronic. I haven't quite figured out how to open the keyboard section of the case yet..

I've run a partial memory test and got no errors. I'm going to get the expansion board in there and run a full test.

Haven't opened the disk drive yet or plugged in - so I'm not sure what that situation looks like yet. Thank you & yes if you have a spare please PM & let me know what you'd want for the FDC & box of floppies. Thanks for all this great info! lots to research..

Comment

Unless I missed mention of it Mike is being modest; there's a Virtual Sector Generator available that lets you use the much more common soft sector disks.

On a related topic, although Chuck seem to like them I haven't been too happy with the Micropolis drives either so, as in Mike's suggestion to use 55-GFRs, I tried replacing my Micropolis drives with more common Panasonic 5 1/4 1.2M HD drives. Works fine reading and writing, but for some reason it won't boot from them. Could it be related to the fact that the boot track is read by the monitor whereas subsequent reads are by the OS? Any thoughts?

I haven't tried checking/tuning the timing adjustments on the FDC; any thoughts on that?

TIA

Comment

I recall the hard sector controllers are finicky with newer disks drives for which the index pulse outputs are generated by a smart LSI chip. The most important thing is that jumper E2 must be installed to ensure sector pulses are not turned off while the drive is seeking.

Itís always a good thing to properly adjust the three pots on those boards. Itís fairly straight forward from what I recall.

Mike

Comment

I had previously installed the 22uf cap (#49) and it has not made a difference. I currently have it disconnected.
                    #13 talks about adding a 390pf cap on the Z80 to fix MWRITE issues. This is not installed. Think it's worth bothering with?
                    MZ-0018 describes my problem exactly and talks about replacing the crystal. However it looks like I have one of the unaffected model crystals. Should I try replacing it anyway? It also mentions installing that 22uF cap which didn't help.
                    Update on the garbled text power-on screen. I added the 390pf cap and reattached the 22uf cap and the system acts MUCH better. Goes right to the monitor most of the time on the first power-on now, if not the second.. before I'd have to flip the switch 10-20 times before it'd finally get to the monitor.

Comment

What does the keyboard plug into inside the main rack? Is it one of the parallel ports or maybe a serial port?
                      Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaDon View Post
                        What does the keyboard plug into inside the main rack? Is it one of the parallel ports or maybe a serial port?
                        20200304_093303.jpg

It is parallel. The keyboard plugs into this little board (pictured) that sits in the bottom of the case. Then from there, it plugs into the Flashwriter II board.

Comment

Interesting, they're using the EPROM to translate the output of their custom keyboard to values that the VG monitor and software expect. You'll want to dump that EPROM so you have its content archived.

I did something similar to connect a keypad in an SD systems computer to a VG FlashWriter, but it was a simple connection re-wiring - no translation of codes or EPROM required.

Picture2 012.jpg

Comment

Interesting, they're using the EPROM to translate the output of their custom keyboard to values that the VG monitor and software expect. You'll want to dump that EPROM so you have its content archived.
                            I thought it was odd, too. The keyboard is dated 1975 so it was already a bit old when this computer was built (1979 or 1980).

That EPROM is another 2708. What kind of equipment would I need to dump it? I've already discovered the TL866 doesn't support the 2708.

Comment

That EPROM is another 2708. What kind of equipment would I need to dump it? I've already discovered the TL866 doesn't support the 2708.
                              How about one of the ten unused 2708 sockets on your PROM/RAM board

Mike

Comment

I recall the hard sector controllers are finicky with newer disks drives for which the index pulse outputs are generated by a smart LSI chip. The most important thing is that jumper E2 must be installed to ensure sector pulses are not turned off while the drive is seeking.

It’s always a good thing to properly adjust the three pots on those boards. It’s fairly straight forward from what I recall.

Mike
                                Will do; thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                                X