Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The door latch mechanism has to be fixed every time I refurb a Micropolis Drive. The door is much more complex and problematic than the simple manual door that most manufacturers used.

Clean up as much of the old grease in the catch and release mechanism as possible, then regrease.

Mike

Comment

As you slide in a disk, it properly engages the latch and the disk stays in. Just when you push downwards, it does not stay down. It almost looks as if there's a solenoid of some sort that's supposed to engage? or is there really just another latch mechanism? Thanks again

Comment

There’s a latch mechanism just behind the front plate on the left side (viewed from the front)

Mike

Comment

In order to hold the door closed the latch mechanism is spun a quarter turn by a spring mechanism after it has passed through the "forks" that stick out at right angles from the drive bezel. If it can't spin freely into the locked position the door will just open again.

Comment

Originally posted by exidyboy View Post
            In order to hold the door closed the latch mechanism is spun a quarter turn by a spring mechanism after it has passed through the "forks" that stick out at right angles from the drive bezel. If it can't spin freely into the locked position the door will just open again.
            Thanks guys, I see what you're talking about. Got it to latch by spinning manually. Going to clean it up & see if that does it.

Comment

Ok well I've completely cleaned the mechanism and greased it. The latch does engage now (it spins to lock down) - usually on the first or second try. However now I have the opposite problem - I can't get the mechanism to release. When I push down again is it supposed to spin again out of lock position and release?

Comment

Originally posted by deramp5113 View Post
                Utilities are there to write a new floppy using a serial transfer from your PC to the VG system. This can be done even on a cold machine with no bootable floppy. See https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_graphic/software/ for disk images and disk transfer utilities.
                Regarding your PC2Flop utility, do you know if this will support the original Bit Streamer card that is in this system? It appears these utilities were developed for the Bit Streamer II. Plan to order the Micropolis controller in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by nullvalue View Post
                  Ok well I've completely cleaned the mechanism and greased it. The latch does engage now (it spins to lock down) - usually on the first or second try. However now I have the opposite problem - I can't get the mechanism to release. When I push down again is it supposed to spin again out of lock position and release?
                  Yes that's right.

Comment

Regarding your PC2Flop utility, do you know if this will support the original Bit Streamer card that is in this system? It appears these utilities were developed for the Bit Streamer II. Plan to order the Micropolis controller in a week or so.
                    Typically the original Bitstreamer is at I/O address 2/3 which is supported by PC2FLOP.

Mike

Comment

Typically the original Bitstreamer is at I/O address 2/3 which is supported by PC2FLOP.

Mike
                      Ok I have the computer all put back together and the floppy drive is eject mechanics are working well enough after a good greasing. Following your instructions in the readme for PC2FLOP, I have to first enter the LOADER.PRN program into memory using 'P' from the monitor. But I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly how to do that. The file looks like ASM, not Hex - unless I'm only supposed to type a portion of each line? Not really clear..

Comment

Following your instructions in the readme for PC2FLOP, I have to first enter the LOADER.PRN program into memory using 'P' from the monitor. But I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly how to do that. The file looks like ASM, not Hex - unless I'm only supposed to type a portion of each line? Not really clear..
                        Enter the hex bytes shown in the listing. First column is the address, second column is the actual data you need to enter.

Mike

Comment

Enter the hex bytes shown in the listing. First column is the address, second column is the actual data you need to enter.

Mike
                          Here are the first 3 lines from the LOADER.PRN file:

0005 = sioCtl equ 5 ;serial port control register
                          0004 = sioDat equ 4 ;serial port data register
                          0002 = sioRdrf equ 2 ;mask to test for receive data
                          When I hit 'P', then '0005' it puts me directly into a HEX editor.. I can only type hex, not these register names/functions etc.. Do those first 3 lines not get entered?
                          Last edited by nullvalue; April 5, 2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Those are assembler equate statements. They make the code easier to read - so for example sioCtl EQU 5 tells the assembler that every time it sees an operand in the code of "sioCtl" it is to substitute the value 5.

For example:

sioCtl EQU 5

LD A,045h
                            OUT (sioCtl),A

That last instruction is interpreted as OUT (5),A by the assembler.

Could you paste the LOADER.PRN file into a post, please? It'd make it easier to see the context and provide help.

Comment

The program starts at address zero. To start entering data at zero, the command is P 0000.

Enter the HEX BYTES shown in the listing. First column is the address, SECOND COLUMN is the actual data you need to enter.

Note that LOADER.PRN uses a serial port at 04/05. If your Bitstreamer port is at 02/03, you’ll need to change the corresponding bytes when you key it in. For example, DB 04 becomes DB 02.

https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...ler/LOADER.PRN

Mike

Comment

Thanks, so I've edited the file basically down to the keystrokes I'll need for the Bitstreamer, does this seem right? Sorry if this seems amateurish.. but I am when it comes to this level of programming

P 0000 210001
                                P 0003 DB02
                                P 0005 DB02
                                P 0007 DB03
                                P 0009 E602
                                P 000B CA0700
                                P 000E DB02
                                P 0010 77
                                P 0011 23
                                P 0012 C30700
                                Seem to be having a problem though.. I hit 'P', '0000' and it drops me into the hex editor for that address. It's all 'FF'. As I begin to type '210001' it's moving the cursor forward, but it is not changing the value - they're all staying F's. Why would that be?

or actually i think i'm beginning to understand a bit more.. if I start at 0000, I don't have to hit 'P' in between each line, correct? - I would just type the hex portion in sequence?

So my keystrokes would look more like this?

P 0000
                                210001DB02DB02DB03E602CA0700DB02
                                7723C30700
                                How do I save/commit? Still not sure why as I type it's leaving all F's. Thanks again
                                Last edited by nullvalue; April 6, 2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X