Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good tip - I'll check that out. However, the cap was on the Bit Streamer board. The system is not booting even without the Bit Streamer installed. Since I do have some (uninitialized) video, wouldn't that point to a problem being on the 12K PROM/RAM or Z80 CPU?
    Last edited by nullvalue; April 30, 2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Traced what I hooked up to. The negative end runs to the VEE pin of a 1488P chip. It's carrying -12v.

Comment

Originally posted by nullvalue View Post
        Good tip - I'll check that out. However, the cap was on the Bit Streamer board. The system is not booting even without the Bit Streamer installed. Since I do have some (uninitialized) video, wouldn't that point to a problem being on the 12K PROM/RAM or Z80 CPU?
        It really doesn't matter on what board you cause a power supply short if that short, in turn, damages the system power supply. Though with a 7912 in between the short and the system -16v supply, it would not be typical to get past the regulator in a catastrophic way. The short may have damaged the negative supply on another board.

Measure the system supplies (-16v, +16v, +8v) and see where they are. If they look fine, then look on the boards and check the voltage of any onboard negative supplies and see if they're correct.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by deramp5113 View Post
          Measure the system supplies (-16v, +16v, +8v) and see where they are. If they look fine, then look on the boards and check the voltage of any onboard negative supplies and see if they're correct.
          I checked the rail voltage and it does not appear that I have a stable -16v on pin 52. I'll check it one moment and it's fine (like -18v) and the next it's gone. Guess I'm going to have to replace the power supply or at least part of it? What's the current best approach for doing this?

Comment

I was testing voltages with load vs no load. Pulled everything out.. put it all back in and what do you know, system is booting fine now and my -16v rail is back.. bizarre. Will get back to serial testing... lesson learned: don't assume negative end of caps are ground!

Edit: I think I found my problem with the power supply - may have been nothing to do with my scope hookup afterall. I think my molex connector supplying power to the backplane is lose. I accidentally wiggled it while working in there and the same thing happened where the screen scrambled. This is a relief, I love simple explanations.

BTW for the serial communications: I did try bumping it up to 9600 baud. Still able to transmit data to the terminal PC, but nothing on the receiving end. (I 06: 00) - will start tracing the signal across the board.
            Last edited by nullvalue; May 1, 2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

You can quickly check that the input path from the 8251 to the processor is OK by doing an IN 07. Does that give something besides 00?

Mike

Comment

Yes it returns "05".

Comment

So after some further testing, I am able to see the data reach the 1489 receiver chip input (pin 10, Input C) but nothing coming out and nothing reaching the 8251. I'm going to order a replacement for the 1489 and cross my fingers.

Comment

You can quickly check that the input path from the 8251 to the processor is OK by doing an IN 07. Does that give something besides 00?
                    20200509_195530.jpg

Another problem solved! After replacing the 1489, I am now able to both send and receive data. So.. you had mentioned something about being able to manually send initialization codes?

Comment

You won’t need to send init codes. The fact that the manual in/out tests work prove that the PROM monitor initialized the port. I’ll update PC2FLOP to allow use of port 6/7 for transfer and then you can try creating a disk. I’ll let you know when it’s posted.

Mike

Comment

You wonít need to send init codes. The fact that the manual in/out tests work prove that the PROM monitor initialized the port. Iíll update PC2FLOP to allow use of port 6/7 for transfer and then you can try creating a disk. Iíll let you know when itís posted.

Mike

Comment

I've uploaded a new version of PC2FLOP that supports the port at I/O address 6/7 here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20controller/

Repeat the procedure you performed previously to load PC2FLOP.COM into your machine. Enter the bytes shown in LOADER.PRN starting at address zero using the monitor's "P"rogram command. You'll need to change I/O port address references from 4/5 to 6/7 (i.e., change 04 to 06, change 05 to 07).

Mike

Comment

I've uploaded a new version of PC2FLOP that supports the port at I/O address 6/7 here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20controller/

Repeat the procedure you performed previously to load PC2FLOP.COM into your machine. Enter the bytes shown in LOADER.PRN starting at address zero using the monitor's "P"rogram command. You'll need to change I/O port address references from 4/5 to 6/7 (i.e., change 04 to 06, change 05 to 07).

Mike
                            Not sure if I've done something wrong or not.. After entering LOADER.PRN, I type G 0000 - nothing happens on the screen. In Teraterm I begin the transfer - about 75% of the way through sending the screen on the S100 goes to all block characters. After transfer, I do a reset, and a D 0100. It's filling with character '87' through about 0134, then seems like the rest of memory is filled with '97'.

Comment

Ah it appears I modified the LOADER.PRN incorrectly. It seems it is working correctly but I think I'm having a problem with my USB to Serial adapter, partway through sending the file the LED's stop blinking and basically hangs the PC. Going to try adjusting the baud rate etc.

Comment

Ok so I have managed to transfer the program, 9600 and 4800 baud both seem to be working very well. - I haven't reviewed the transfer byte for byte but it appears correct because I am to see the strings from the program as part of the memory dump. However when I attempt to run (G 0100) I just get this dump.

20200511_103033.jpg
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X