• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

One-piece SOL cover

dfnr2

Experienced Member
@Sol experts, has anybody seen a SOL-20 with a one-piece cover? I made an offer for a "project" grade Sol on Ebay, and to my surprise it was accepted. When it arrived, I was again surprised to see that it is actually in pretty good shape. The keyboard and personality module are missing (and one guide rail for the personality module), but otherwise all the hardware is in place, and the power supply and video work, which is a bonus.

Unlike my other Sol, which has separate keyboard and top covers that interlock, this one has a single piece cover. Is anyone familiar with this cover? Did models with a solid cover have the paper badge and plexiglass cover? If so, how were they attached?

This also has two holes in the front to adjust the video, unlike the other Sol.

unibody-sol.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info,

Dave

Dave,

The only SOLs I have seen have the two piece cover, but that one piece one looks like a Processor Technology part to me, it has identical splatter style paint that they used. Its not a bad idea to have it in one piece either.

Hugo.

Dave,

I know the original two-piece covers were made in both steel and aluminum during the Sol-20's production run, but I am not familiar with a factory made one piece cover.

Speaking of Sol-20's, I just picked up two of them from a gentleman who has owned them since the late 1970's. One of them is his original purchase that he put together and is excellent cosmetic condition. Each has a full set of manuals. One has a pair of Micropolis floppy drives and controller. He also has a good collection of original Processor Technology cassette tapes that look brand new.

Mike

Speaking of Sol-20's, I just picked up two of them from a gentleman who has owned them since the late 1970's. One of them is his original purchase that he put together and is excellent cosmetic condition. Each has a full set of manuals. One has a pair of Micropolis floppy drives and controller. He also has a good collection of original Processor Technology cassette tapes that look brand new.

Nice!

I think there was an OEM who used the Sol for their HAM RADIO TTY setup. I forgot who it was but I do recall a cover like this with the holes drilled in the front panel.

The hole on the upper part of the panel might be for a power ON LED. There is a SOL on ebay that has a lamp in that position. It would also help hold the acrylic sheet and logos over that area at least.

The hole on the upper part of the panel might be for a power ON LED. There is a SOL on ebay that has a lamp in that position. It would also help hold the acrylic sheet and logos over that area at least.

The two piece cover on my other SOL also has a hole in that position. Of course, it's covered by the logo.

Back