• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bootable floppy 5" 1.2Mb

SuperPat

Hi all
I am new to this site, and I am contacting you from Brussels.
I was lucky to get my first computer on which I started programming 40 years ago......
This is a PC with a Teletek Systemaster I revision II card with two floppy disks 5 "1.2Mb and a Tatung terminal.

Unfortunately, I have no more floppy disk. (Only the Basic floppy)
Can you help me to reuse this PC,
or maybe a procedure to follow in order to recreate a bootable floppy disk ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Patrick

Several here have that system but they don't shown up here in some time. The one most recently on hasn't posted for about a month. I doubt I could successfully guide through the process of turning the 8" disk images out there into working 5.25" disks.

Since there may be a delay, could you post the model numbers for the drives? The information I have shows the Teletek having 96 tpi double density drives (for an approximate capacity of 720k) not high density (1.2MB).

Not sure how to do it but changing the topic title to include Teletek Systemaster might make it easier for those with knowledge to find it.

I suspect that the 1.2M drives have been fitted to replace 8" ones. An 8" bootable image should work when transferred to 5.25" HD.

I haven't checked my collection to see if I've got the 8" sample; but I do have the DD/QD ones.

The floppy is Ye DATA 380 1.2MB
But if necesssary, I could buy a 720K (if it is possible)
Thanks
(sorry I don't know how to rename the topic)
Patrick

The floppy is Ye DATA 380 1.2MB
But if necesssary, I could buy a 720K (if it is possible)
Thanks
(sorry I don't know how to rename the topic)
Patrick

Changing the drive won't be necessary. The source I used seems to have been wrong.

The second link has Teledisk .TD0 files, but they can be converted to ImageDisk files.

You can write them with a 'tweener running MS-DOS.

I don't know what a Lotharek is.

You need second computer with a floppy and the programm 22disk. With this program you can format different types of disk formatting architectures. And the just write the files to the disk. I am using my IBM 5170 with yd380 5.25" and 3,5" Floppys. I copy the files from main pc to 3,5" USB disk drive. With this disk, i create 5,25" disk on ibm 5170.

Jan

The second link has Teledisk .TD0 files, but they can be converted to ImageDisk files.

You can write them with a 'tweener running MS-DOS.

I don't know what a Lotharek is.

Lotharek is in Poland. They make nice hardware for vintage computers, great hardware for Atari 8 bit for example. They have a disk drive emulation system. Fits to 3,5" Floppydrive mounting slot, but you cannot indert disk, it works with USB stick.

Jan

Lotharek supplies HxC floppy emulators. Should work emulating high density disks. Might be a wrinkle I don't know about; the HxC pages do not list this specific computer as being tested.

Do you know anyone that has an older PC with 5.25" high density drives or already has a floppy emulator? Buying a tweener* or floppy emulator is an expensive solution just to get that first disk created.

* Tweener in this case would mean a machine running MS-DOS with a high density 5.25" drive.

My information shows an 8" Teletek boot disk as MFM HD 26x256x77. I suspect that Flashfloppy running on a cheap Gotek could probably do this and be considerably cheaper than a Lotharek. FWIW, this would be the same format on a 1.2MB HD 5.25" drive. I suspect that a 3.5" HD drive could modded to work as well.

Hi Jan1980
I bought the Lotharek.
I will first try to start a PC DOS on the Lotharek.
I have an old 386 card and I am trying to start with an YD380 but without success.
Could you tell me the jumpers configuration (DS0 DS1 HS HM MX) and tell me what type of flat cable (crossed or not)
regards
Patrick

Back