• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair 8800 Parts

ddesson

I stared my old Altair yesterday after about 30 years and found out that about 5 switches no longer work. Including the Reset switch. I would like to get it working again. Anyone know where I can replacements. I also suspect that this will end up being a restore. Is there any info out there on restoring it?

Thank you in advance
Dave

Not sure the original switches are available any more but the APEM switches recommended by Mike for his Altair clones and 8800c I think are compatible.

Check out his site and this doc that gives some part numbers for the switch types

The best match for the original American Switch brand switches are the switches from APEM (who purchased American Switch). I've had terrible luck with the C&K switches. Not only do they have a different feel (especially the momentary switches), they break easily and have a slightly shorter body so you need to space them off the board slightly when soldering them in.

Here are the APEM part numbers:

Momentary switches: 5237CDB
Address switches: 5236CDB
Power switch: 5236AB (silver contacts)

Mike

Are these A or B type switches?

Are these A or B type switches?

Are the part numbers quoted here for the plain bat-handle type or the flat / paddle type used on the 8800B model?

I'm also in need of half a dozen or so switches, in my case for the B model. I'm currently restoring a 'B' that took shipping damage thanks to serious abuse at the hands of USPS.

According to the APEM 5000-series datasheet, these p/n are for the standard round levers. It seems the 'B' style lever (flat, 16.3mm / 0.640") has a -25 suffix.

They're on the current datasheet, fwiw.. so they may be available if only by special order.

These switches have been made since the early 70s.. they have to be out there, somewhere..

Back