• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommend me some homebuilt S-100 project resources that will run CP/M?

bladamson

Veteran Member
Hey folks. I've been kinda thinking about wire-wrapping a fairly simple z80 S-100 computer, just for fun, and I'd like it to be able to run CP/M. But I am kind of hoping to base it heavily on (or straight up copy, haha) a design for which there is already a CP/M BIOS available, as I'd kind of like to avoid having to write my own.

Can you guys recommend any projects that I ought to look at? There are so many out there that I am not sure where to start, heh. I am figuring, CPU/ROM/RAM, serial console for now, probably easiest to use some kind of S-100 CF card solution for storage for now, and maybe try to add a real 8" floppy later on.

Would it be better if I moved this to the CP/M subforum?

Thanks!! I apologize for my ignorance in this field.

What exactly is your objective? Just wire-wrapping S-100 bus cards, or a full CP/M v2.2 system? I've bought a NorthStar Horizon S-100 system in need of restoration, but the logistical problems of getting it and the accompanying 70lb 18" 18MB HD unit across the Pond, plus the Covid-19 restrictions currently in place are causing me serious doubts about the project. System unit is with a friend in Beloit, WI and the HD unit still with the seller in Canada (will be able, eventually, to deliver to London, Ontario for a handover, by arrangement).

I've not given up on the project, but serious doubts have been introduced by the current world situation.

There's quite a few Z80 single board computer designs floating around the web as kits etc. A few have schematics posted for the public domain boards. BIOS is available if you copied one of them.

Yeah, I'd like to eventually end up with a full CP/M system. I figured maybe I'd make a plexiglass enclosure so the mess of wires could be admired without being exposed for the cat to play with, make an s-100 backplane to go in the bottom, and then make separate CPU/ROM, RAM, serial, etc cards.

Hi,

I've got a few 8080/z80 based systems. Altair, imsai, and a bench s100 development system. I pick up random boards off ebay and have bought some of the modern retro computer boards.

Take a look at s100computers.com. Lots of new stuff available.

I'va also built one of Josh's boards. Will run cpm, get a backplane and a power supply and yor are good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bare-S100-...709467?hash=item3b42cb981b:g:B0wAAOSwBRZcY4~H

If you take your time you can put together a really nice functional system.

Good luck!

Len

Since you are thinking about using CF, Z80 can interface to most CF disks directly, so S-100 format may be an overkill. A simple Z80 CP/M SBC consists of Z80, SIO, RAM, EPROM, oscillator, a couple TTL logic and CF adapter is easy to wirewrap and fit in a 4"x4" board.
Bill

Very cool.

Although it's not and S-100 card, I've also been looking at the N8VEM board, with the ROMWBW BIOS.

ROMWBW is really the best you can get these days, and it's regularly updated. ZETA SBC may be a better option than the older N8VEM design.

Have you looked at the RC2014 boards available? If you're looking to put together a simple CPM system that you can do a bit more customization on than the N8VEM, there's a ton of available boards and designs out there for that. If you don't want a floppy drive, you could check out the Easy Z80 board, which provides ROMWBW, two serial ports, 512k battery backed RAM and an RC2014 interface for a CF storage card.

Back