• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Micropolis Floppy Drive and Controller

m_thompson

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a copy of the single-density or double-density MDOS diskette for an Altair with a 2SIO?
How about CP/M for a Micropolis floppy diskette controller?

Thanks! The double-density drive isn't working. I copied a double-density diskette image onto the single-density drive and it actually booted MDOS and will run BASIC.

Your Micropolis controller is double-density. Your Mod-I and Mod-II drives are both written in double-density when used with your Micropolis controller. The reason the Mod-II drive stores twice as much data is because it has 77 tracks and the Mod-I drive has only 35 tracks.

I can create an Altair compatible MDOS disk image for a 35 track Mod-I drive if you need one.

Mike

I can create an Altair compatible MDOS disk image for a 35 track Mod-I drive if you need one. Mike

I am going to take the 77 track drive apart tomorrow. Hopefully it has some oxide stuck to the head or needs some simple fix.

If I can't fix the 77 track drive a 35 track diskette image would be helpful.
Did you find a simple way to change the number of diskette tracks on MDOS?

With a lot of help from Mike Douglas, the Rhode Island Computer Museum got the 77 track Micropolis floppy diskette drive on the Altair 8800 working today. Now we can boot MDOS and run the editor, 8080/8085 assembler, debugger, and BASIC from the diskette. We will add a period correct terminal, probably an ADM-3a, and make a demonstration system.

Mike Douglas made 35 track and 77 track CP/M 2.2 diskette images for use with an Altair with a 2SIO and a Micropolis floppy controller and diskette drive.

CONFIG Version 3.9
(C) 1980 Lifeboat Associates
Your CP/M console is now configured.
Returning to CP/M with patches in memory.
Type SAVEUSER to permanently save on disk.
CP/M2 on Micropolis
32K Vers 2.20B
(C) 1980 Lifeboat Associates
A>DIR
A: DIAG COM : SYSGEN COM : LS COM : CONFIG COM
A: ASM COM : DDT COM : PC2FLOP COM : ED COM
A: LOAD COM : PIP COM : STAT COM : SUBMIT COM
A: XSUB COM : SETCPM COM : SAVEUSER COM : COPY COM
A: MBASIC COM : MEMR COM : MEMR DOC : R COM
A: USER ASM : READ-ME DOC : LIFE ASM : PCGET COM
A: PCPUT COM : OBASIC COM : RANTEST BAS : BASDEMO COM
A: BASDEMO DOC : BASDEMO BAS : XFER COM : DUMP ASM