• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DeRamp’s Altair and SWTPC Videos on YouTube

deramp5113

Veteran Member
I’ve recently learned that as of November 2020, YouTube has asserted its right to insert ads into any videos they want - even if the creator (e.g., me) has specifically not monetized the videos to ensure viewers do not have to endure ads. Though there is now nothing I can do to eliminate these ads, I apologize for this negative turn of events.

Mike

I was watching youtube the other day, some music videos.

One in particular, by Pink Floyd, the song Comfortably Numb. I particularly like it because of the guitar work that takes you on a journey.

In any case, about 1/2 way through the guitar solo, it stopped, dragging me back to the reality of an advertisement for some silly product.

To say that it ruined the "vibe" would be an understatement. And I thought to myself, "What idiot would put an advert in the music video comfortably numb ?"

Then I realized that no human being, with even half a brain that was functioning, could have done it. It was a "bot" or a program just randomly inserting ads into youtube material.

Still the responsibility for this "stupidity" falls at the feet of the people in youtube who ordered it.

Then I realized that no human being, with even half a brain that was functioning, could have done it. It was a "bot" or a program just randomly inserting ads into youtube material.
You might be very unpleasantly surprised at how many people don't even have that much of a brain these days, and have been trained to accept such advertising.

I suspect this is directly related to their move to lock accounts that have not been logged in to in years. I noticed ads on some videos I posed eons ago, but I can't log in to remove the videos now.

uBlock Origin for Firefox/Waterfox and NewPipe on Android both use YouTube's APIs in a way where they don't serve you ads. I don't remember the last time I saw an ad on the Internet.

uBlock Origin for Firefox/Waterfox and NewPipe on Android both use YouTube's APIs in a way where they don't serve you ads. I don't remember the last time I saw an ad on the Internet.

Same. Every now and then, uBlock Origin will crash due to a Firefox update or something, and ads will come back. I don't know how people use the Internet like that, it's like stepping through some rift in space and time and ending up in a slightly off parallel universe :p

I’ve recently learned that as of November 2020, YouTube has asserted its right to insert ads into any videos they want - even if the creator (e.g., me) has specifically not monetized the videos to ensure viewers do not have to endure ads. Though there is now nothing I can do to eliminate these ads, I apologize for this negative turn of events.

Mike
Yes YouTube is unwatchable now. Can you self-host?

I second Ublock Origin. In rare occasions Youtube pushes an update but within half a day UBO is already updated to address it. I can stand regular ads on TV but Youtube's ads are Blipvert-levels of annoying.
Fair warning though when searching for the addon page, if you find the older Ublock extension it's outdated and no longer bypasses Youtube's ad's. Many a year ago I would of also recommended Adblock Plus which is another extension but a number of years back they sold out and began allowing whitelisted ads to continue working.

Back