Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

1.4 mb floppy on tandy TX question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.4 mb floppy on tandy TX question

i read somewhere from a post or document information about the tandy 1000 floppy controller needing do be disabled with a program if you install a 1.4 mb floppy drive on the systems by using rom based isa cards.

i did download the nofloppy program for it but have not tested because this is a future upgrade that i want to add and dont want spend the $ on a card if its not a worthy upgrade.

i have some games that ensist on being on a floppy and take more space than 720k.

my questions are will the 1.4 mb drive become the bootable drive if you have to disable the onboard floppy controller after the system boots?will it still try to access original tandy low density drive or will it use the 1.4mb drive at bootup?

any help will be welcome
    Last edited by CompositeGamer; February 29, 2008, 01:25 PM.

i am also curious about external floppy drives that use the parallel port or work through an expansion card.

are there any 1.2mb and 1.4mb external floppy drives that use a card or use a printer port that work on old computers like my tandy 1000 TX with standard parallel card installed?

i have seen some ibm drives with expansion cards but i believe the ones i saw were low density 5 1/4 drives.

i also know that some laptops have parallel drives.are these drives specially made for the specific laptop or will these drives work on any old/new computers parallel port?

also do external floppy drive become bootable?

thanks

Comment

Tandy 1000 is a strange machine. Do you know for a fact that high density floppy controllers with BIOS designed for regular PCs can work properly in the Tandy? In the case of a regular PC, being able to boot from the 1.44meg drive will depend on the controller. Many of the high density cards with BIOS will allow you to boot from the 1.44meg drive, but I have heard that others will not.

Booting from an external drive is probably possible if you use the external port on the floppy controller, but most of the high density controllers do not have this port. Those IBM drives you saw were probably using the 37-pin floppy connector, and am pretty sure they are all low density drives. Booting from the parallel port is not possible. But, if all you need to do is read 1.44meg disks, a parallel port based drive is probably the easiest path to take (if you can find one).
      "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Comment

i seen a site where someone indeed had an internal 1.4 floppy drive working on a tandy 1000 TL or tandy SX.it had an 8 bit isa floppy controller with a bios(bios is requiered) and saying they had to disable onboard floppy with the nofloppy program.

im sure i would have to use an expansion card of some kind as the tandy TX doesn't have an external floppy port.

if i go the external route i wont have to go through the effort of installing a new drive internally

Comment

well i have doing some searching for an external floppy drives and discovered scsi floppy drives.probably a good way to go,although they are quite expensive unless i find a used old style drive.dont know if the newer drives models will support dos 3.3

Comment

SCSI floppy drives are cheap if you are patient enough. I got about five of them for $10 a few years ago. Actually, the drives themselves are just regular MFM floppy drives. They are hooked up to a removable adapter called the "TEAC FC 1".

Like I've said in other posts though, this method isn't really desireable unless you are desperate to get the 1.44meg drive on an older system. This is because the SCSI floppy adapter needs to be specifically supported by software drivers. I was unable to get the SCSI floppy drive going with my Future Domain controller, though COREL SCSI might have drivers to make it work. (haven't been able to find a copy of that yet)

So far I have only been able to get the drive going with my Trantor T128 controller. However, it eats a lot of conventional memory. I can't remember how much exactly as it has been a few years. Additionally, you can't boot from the drive using this method.

For most 808x systems I recommend a 16-bit multi i/o in an 8-bit slot using the 1.44meg TSR that comes with 2M V3.0.
            "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Comment

Working...
            X