• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SUN donor keyboards to repair the Big Tandy keyboards.

Hans01

Experienced Member
I have just bought a small batch of used SUN type 4 keyboards.
This is the version that uses the same technology as the Model 2, 12, 16 and 6000 keyboards.
They are easy to disassemble and deliver more than a hundred complete sets of a bottom disk, a foam layer and a mylar disk.
You can mount them easily in an existing keyboard to repair a dead key or a totally dead keyboard.
The chips that support the keys are not exchangeable.
You also have the same number of key frames, rubber springs, a large interference shield, mini screws, etc.
These very poorly available keyboards cost € 25 .-- each. Unfortunately, the shipping costs will go higher to
countries outside Europe, but there is nothing I can do about that. (I live in the Netherlands)
Especially for our friends in the US I disassembled a keyboard and packed the usable parts in bags.
I have looked at the shipping options and can send this set for € 25.- for the components and € 23 .-- for
the shipment including Track & Trace.
You will receive more than 100 complete foam sets (carrier, foam and mylar) for this.
More than 100 rubber springs, and all keypads and about 25 plunger (because they are very difficult to harvest).
As an option, I can also only send the more than 100 foam sets for € 25 .--, packaged as a letter package, this costs € 11 .-- shipping, but then you will not receive track & trace.
Send me a PM if you are interested.
Please note, I only have a limited number, so if you are interested send me a PM and I will reserve them in order of receipt.

See my items and pictures about this at Discord.

key.jpg

Attachments

• image_61117.jpg
    image_61117.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2
So let me know if I understand correctly. You destroyed three Sun4 keyboards, so you could sell used parts which are available as new reproductions, with foam that isn't 25+ years old, for less money, from Texelec?

A sun type 4 keyboard is a terrible thing to waste. :(

The foams from texelec have worked great for me, repairing big tandy keyboards.

You are absolutely right, I would not use used parts if I could buy new ones and for less money too.
However, I hope you understand that I bought a number of keyboards, took them apart completely (1 hour of work per
keyboard) and bother sending them to the other side of the world for no good reason.
However, every Big Tandy owner will know that the keyboards of these computers are of top quality, except for the foam in the keys.
Now it appears that SUN has opted for an excellent quality foam that after 25 years is still as strong and resilient as new and therefore
is a highly sought-after article.
I would like to help our friends in the US take advantage of this excellent solution.
Read below what I wrote about this on Discord.

'Something about the repair of keytronic keyboards.'
This involves replacing the foam layer between the carrier and the mylar disc.
There are various options for this, namely:
The German solution, this only concerns the foam disc and you have to transfer the carrier and the mylar plate from your old key.
However, the adhesive of this foam is so strong that everything is stuck together very quickly, even your tools.
It is a very precise job and takes a lot of time. My first keyboard took me about 6 hours.
Italian foam. This is a new article, where the foam and mylar have already been combined and you only use the carrier (disc) of your old key to transfer.
I haven't tried them yet, but it seems pretty easy to do. A big advantage is that you can indicate
how thick the foam should be. This is important because it determines the capacity of the key and thus the functioning of the system.

The TexElec version, with this you get the complete set of carrier, foam and mylar disk. You need to pop out the old set and push the new set in.
It is very important that the carrier is properly pushed into the plunger and is secured with all four clips.
The disadvantage of the TexElec is the carrier disc which is thinner and weaker than the original and is therefore more difficult to assemble properly.
The foam is also a bit thicker and stiffer than the original foam. The thickness of the foam influences the capacity of the key at rest and therefore also the processing of a key impression.

The last option is to use a donor keyboard. You replace the complete keyset with a keyset of excellent quality and
it is the fastest and most reliable way. You also get a stock of screws, plungers, springs (made of rubber) and
many more useful parts.

If you carry out the repair carefully, you will get a perfect keyboard that will last for years and has a wonderful keystroke.

However, I hope you understand that I bought a number of keyboards, took them apart completely (1 hour of work per
keyboard) and bother sending them to the other side of the world for no good reason.
Not sure if the intended meaning got lost in translation, but ending that sentence with "for no good reason" kind of nails it. :D

It's never right to destroy vintage hardware to fix other vintage hardware, and those were good keyboards you did destroy. Also, for people in the US when you are from Europe and have to charge additional 23€ for tracked shipping? This sums up to about $60. It would have been wise to ask if there's any demand at all before doing this.

The translation does not deserve a beauty prize, but I hope the intention is clear.

The keyboards are severely yellowed and have numerous minor usage marks.
Given the large number ever produced, they now serve a better purpose to give the few Tandy keyboards still available a new life.
That's why I speak of donor keyboards.

It's never right to destroy vintage hardware to fix other vintage hardware, and those were good keyboards you did destroy. Also, for people in the US when you are from Europe and have to charge additional 23€ for tracked shipping? This sums up to about $60. It would have been wise to ask if there's any demand at all before doing this.

You mean like the fellow who disassembles beamspring keyboards to make keychain fobs out of the keys?

Back