• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CoCo1 RF demodulator

grimm

Experienced Member
I'm going to start working on an old CoCo1 (32K model from 1982) and I'm in need of a NTSC RF demodulator. I know that you can use an old VCR to do this, but I don't have one, and I also don't have the room for one. I have seen many demodulators for sale on line, but they are on the expensive side ($60 to $80) and I'm not sure what would be a good one to get. I have other systems that are going to need this too, specifically a Atari 400, Mattel Aquarius, etc. I have a RetroTink as well, but it's not going to be of much help I think.

I'm not thinking of converting the machine so it will output composite or RGB, etc. as I would like to keep the system as original as possible. Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jason

Seems to me that the most straightforward application would be to use the devices as intended:; find an old TV.

Yes, I could, but that would be just as big and bulky as an old VCR and I just don't have the space for one. I do have an older (2005) LCD monitor that works very well (even has built-in speakers). It also has the more square aspect ratio like a CRT has. I have a HTMI to VGA converter that I use for the RetroTink.

Hmm, thinking about it, the monitor has a VGA input so maybe a RF to VGA converter would work better?

Jason

Back