Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Model 4 disk drive issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model 4 disk drive issue

I went to an estate sale yesterday and picked up a cheap but dirty model 4 26-1067, 64k with two floppy drives. It had been stored in the original owner's garage with the official plastic dust covers on it (and the printer and cassette). I didn't need it, but they were basically giving it away. I already have a mint Model 4 and a Model4P. From the photo i was hoping it was a model 3 (was covered in dust cover). but i got it.

It popped and smoked a little when i fired it up from the back right. two safety caps were cracked/blown, so i clipped them. From there i seemed to be getting stable voltages with no other work...yet.

It powers up fine, display (grey) looks fine. holding break gets me to the cass? and memory? prompts and it boots to whatever basic that is. It came with a box of disks including a Model 4 TRS-DOS disk, but when i boot with it in the bottom drive it would not get past a diskette? prompt.

I pulled it apart, cleaned and lubricated both drives fairly well. Also cleaned all the drive connectors. Still only get the diskette? message.

I also have a set of Ira's TRS-80 disks including 3 or 4 flavors of model 4 dos disks. same issue, diskette? display.

Any advice on what to try or check next?

Thanks

With Power OFF, DEPRESS BREAK KEY (and HOLD DEPRESSED), turn ON power. When you see "CASS" on Display, RELEASE
    BREAK KEY, then press "ENTER KEY" twice, then type in this:

?MEM

and press the "ENTER KEY". It should show the available memory as 48082 or some such number of ram available.
    From there insert Diskette, than depress the RESET Button on the Keyboard. Both Drives should start Spinning and the
    Bottom Drive RED LED should come on and you should hear Drive 0 step to track zero (assuming it's not already on
    Track zero). If it doesn't step, remove Diskette, power off, and reposition the Drive 0 head carriage assembly (slowly
    and carefully) by hand to mid position of the travel. Power on and repeat the above. as you listen for the Drive 0 stepping
    to Track 0.

Larry

Comment

thanks (again) Larry. you've helped me greatly over the past couple of years.

this thing is a beast to work on while open, but with it pulled apart i was able to see that drive 0's motor was not spinning. drive 0 LED lights, drive 1 spins with no LED.

i pulled drive 0 motor and applied voltage directly, and it will spin with a little help. i'm assuming it is dirty/dusty. i'm currently loading it in isopropyl (i've done this with small motors from flip clocks successfully in the past).

thanks again, i'll report back soon.

Comment

drive motor now spins freely. steppers were clunky. freed them up somewhat. upon reset with head halfway, it does move to the outside track. but still won't load. i tried both drives on the end cable position, neither will read/load dos. they eventually just shut off. there is not further head movement once it moves to the outside.

Comment

i pulled out my other model 4D (machine #1) which has a fully working drive 0. drive 1 tries to work but gets read errors.

i put my working drive 0 in the new 4D (machine #2 with non-working drives) and it does not work. just spins for a few seconds and stops with no message and no head movement.

I tried both drives from machine #2 in machine #1. one of them dives a drive error messages which is further than it got in machine #2.

so the fact that a known working drive does not work in machine #2 mean there's another issue? what else could cause this behavior?

Comment

It could be the Flex cable from the Motherboard to the FDC, or a problem with the FDC, or bad RAM. You could even have a bad ROM.

If you want to unplug and re-[lug the flex cable, use a wooden Pencil in the half loop and hold the Flex Cable tight to the
            Pencil to Unplug and Re-Insert.

Larry

Comment

Is your machine a GA M4 or older revision?

Comment

it is a 26-1067 which believe was originally a cassette only 16k model. arrow keys are split/non-clustered. I believe that would be non-gate array. i notice the memory label on the front between drives is not perfectly aligned so it could have been upgraded with 64k and the badge replaced and drives installed. variety of RAM chip types installed as well.

I did pull the board out to clean socketed chips. i'll test the ram chips today.

Comment

WILL NOT READ
                  Verify the Index Detector circuit is working, refer to the
                  "Index Detector" section of this Troubleshooting guide.

INDEX DETECTOR
                  To check the Index Detector type in and run the following
                  Basic program. Connect a Logic Probe to pin 9 of IC U3 on
                  the Disk Drive board.

10 OUT 244,2: PRINT INP(240): GOTO 10

This program will keep Disk Drive 1 running and continuously
                  display a number on the Monitor screen. The number should
                  be 6 and the Logic probe should read Logic Open with
                  no diskette in the Disk Drive. The number should change to
                  4 and the Logic probe should read Low when a 3 x 5 card is
                  inserted in the Index Detector. If the Logic Probe readings
                  are correct but the number that appears on the Monitor
                  screen is not correct check IC U3. If the Logic probe
                  readings are not correct, insert a diskette into the Disk
                  Drive and close the door.

Check for pulses on pin 9 of IC U3. If pulses are missing,
                  check the Index Detector assembly, Connector PlO and
                  Resistor R36.

Check the alignment of the Disk Drive, refer to the "Disk
                  Drive Alignment." To check the operation of the read circuits,
                  type in and run the following Basic program. Insert a
                  diskette that has a 125kHz (2F) pattern on track 00 into the
                  Disk Drive and close the door. NOTE: The Dysan 22412A
                  Analog Alignment Diskette has a 125kHz pattern on track 00.
                  The program will turn On Drive 1, set the head to track
                  00, continuously read the track and display the number that
                  is read, which should be 255. To turn On Drive O, change
                  OUT 244,2 in Lines 10 and 30 to OUT 244,1. Press the Break
                  key to stop the program.

10 OUT 244,2: OUT 240,3
                  20 F0R T=1 T0 600:NEXT T
                  30 OUT 244,2: OUT 240,228: PRINT INP(243): GOTO 30

If the number displayed on the Monitor is not 255, check the
                  waveform on pin 19 of Floppy Disk Controller IC (U75) on the
                  System board, see Figure 7. If the waveform is correct check
                  the Logic readings on pins 1, 2, 5 thru 12 and 19 of IC U75.

If the waveform is missing on pin 19 of IC U75, check the
                  waveforms on pin 2 and 4 of Multiplexer IC (U95), see Figure 8.

If the waveform is present at IC U95 check IC U98. If the
                  waveform is missing on pin 4 and is present at pin 2 of IC
                  U95 check for pulses on pins 9 and 12 of IC U95. If the
                  pulses are present at pins 9 and 12 of IC U95, check IC U95.
                  If waveform is missing on pin 2 of IC U95, check waveforms
                  on pins 16 and 21 of Interface IC (U3) on Disk Drive board,
                  see Figure 9. If waveform is present on pin 21 of IC U3
                  check the Logic readings on pins 2 thru 5, 12, 13, 15, and 16
                  of IC U3.

If Pin 7 of IC U2 does not check a logic High, refer to the
                  "Write Protect Will Not Work" Section of this troubleshooting
                  guide.

If pin 1 of IC U3 checks Logic Low, check voltages and com-
                  ponents associated with Read Amp IC (U1). Check the
                  Read/Write Head for continuity at pins 2 and 4 of Connector
                  P6 and check Connector P6 for good connections. Check
                  the waveform on pin 21 of IC U3 while opening and closing
                  the Drive Door. The waveform should change from random
                  pulses when the door is open to 125kHz pulses (see Figure
                  9) when the Drive Door is closed. NOTE: The random pulses
                  are present on pin 21 of IC U3 even when the Drive is not
                  running. If the waveform does not change from random
                  pulses when the Drive Door is open to 125kHz pulses when
                  the Drive Door is closed check the components associated
                  with IC U2. Check for pulses on pin 9 of IC U3. Check
                  Connectors P1O and P21.

Larry

Comment

thanks Larry.

regarding this: This program will keep Disk Drive 1 running and continuously display a number on the Monitor screen. does this literally mean drive 1 (top/first)? I only have drive 0/last connected with this huge mess on my workbench.

preliminarily, if that basic program is looking at index detector on drive 0, it is not functioning as it should. i get a 0, then i saw a 3. pin 9 on IC U3 has no activity with a logic probe.

edit: moved the drive to the drive 1 cable position and the index detector does seems to work. 6 when empty, 4 when card inserted. on to the next step...

so my first drive showing a 6 when empty, a 4 when disk in. but pin 9 on u3 has no activity. R36 looks to be correct.

Last edited by Dokken; May 31, 2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Well, I should have spelled it out for selecting:
                      Drive 0 10 OUT 244,1: PRINT INP(240): GOTO 10
                      Drive 1 10 OUT 244,2: PRINT INP(240): GOTO 10

I figured you would have known to change the drive number in out command.

I'll have to look at schematic for your other information.

Larry

Comment

Other things you can look at ate the Control Inputs to the Z80 CPU.
                        Is Pin 16 - INT being held LOW?
                        Is Pin 17 - NMI being held LOW?
                        is Pin 24 - WAIT being held LOW?
                        Is Pin 25 - BUSRQ being held LOW?
                        Is Pin 26 - RESET being held LOW?

Larry

Z80_CPU.png

Comment

Working...
                        X