• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model 4 CRT

mattbbx

Hello everyone!

I am new to the game here at vintage computing but I am restoring a Model 4 with 128k RAM!

It is a NGA model, which has a black and white CRT. I was wondering if there were any sources around still for the Green (Or Amber but I know that is extremely rare) CRT. I have tried googling all sorts of part numbers but I can't seem to find anything.

The current tube is 12VCMP4, I was hoping to find a 12VCMP3 or the Video Display Corp. VDC1208PPDBBE.

I know sources are dwindling for these tubes, are there any compatible tubes still in the market?

Thank you!

I believe pski recently picked up a few NOS tubes but I do not know if they were green or white.

I have a spare white tube here (San Diego) but that doesn't seem to be of much help.

Unfortunately, the last known supplier of green CRTs has just recently run out of stock. Ambers have been unavailable for a long time. From here on out it's a matter of scavenging to get those used CRTs. I do have a bunch of OEM RCA white CRTs, but those are not uncommon.

Thank you all for the reply. I will continue my hunt for a compatible amber CRT but green would be nice!

Thank you!
​​​​​​

Also pski do you know which other units (I'm assuming something like wyse terminals ) contain compatible tubes?
tubes Sorry for the double post, I don't have permission to edit my other post

Also pski do you know which other units (I'm assuming something like wyse terminals ) contain compatible tubes?
tubes Sorry for the double post, I don't have permission to edit my other post

I've never found a consistent brand or model of other systems from which to scavenge these CRTs unfortunately.

sure get the TTL: to VGA board someone is selling that plugs into the TRS connector and output VGA, then and the much harder thing is to find a 13" LCD screen to glue inside the case, it been done before, but those monitors are hard to find.

Get with me. I have a stockpile of green tubes.
Hey there, do you still have any of those green tubes? I recently picked up a Model III and the tube mount posts cracked off during shipping breaking the neck of the factory tube. Thanks!

The green CRT version would be a type number 12VCMP31. The P4 phosphor is the white TV type, the P31 is green.

Try Newtubes on ebay.
Another source could be Richardson Electronics in the USA.

Back