• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 3 RAM??

Bandit

Experienced Member
If all goes well, tomorrow I'll be buying a diskless, 16K, Model 3 :)
So I'm looking for RAM and found "HYB4116-P2 SIEMENS Page Mode DRAM, 16KX1, 150ns, CMOS, PDIP16"
I rarely have buy memory, so I just want to be sure this it right for the model 3 I hope to soon own.
And, is there any jumpers or switches I have to change when I add it?

thanks

I'm about 95% sure that you don't need to set any jumpers to max out a 16k RAM Model III, you just plug in the 4116s (There's a jumper in there that needs to be adjusted if you were upgrading one of the vanishingly rare 4K ones)... and a skim of the Service Manual suggests that recollection is correct.

Yes, it should work. The 128 Refresh rate is important for the Model 3.
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/memory/4116/datasheet_HYB4116.pdf

Larry

OK, thanks! I was pretty sure it was right, but I do so little of this stuff I like to ask for help. The model 3 should be here in about an hour (yippeeee it's Christmas!) I'm trading a base CB radio for it. So as the seller leaves I'll order the memory. Still waiting on a reply for a shipping quote for a FreHD though...

Really the big thing you need to worry about for this upgrade is not knocking the back off the picture tube when you're taking the machine apart and reassembling it. That's the part that can be a little... fraught.

Really the big thing you need to worry about for this upgrade is not knocking the back off the picture tube when you're taking the machine apart and reassembling it. That's the part that can be a little... fraught.

oh I know, I've been in model 3 and model 4 computers before, the difference with this one is being diskless, the bay cover I thing are attached o the hood not the bays, so no place to look thing to watch clearance. Slow and careful ....

Back