• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kind of upgrades can I get for a Tandy 102 these days?

db2

I have a Tandy 102 that's in good shape, though it's pretty much totally stock config. About all I have for it is a cassette cable to connect my CCR-81 cassette recorder. Are there any particularly good RAM/ROM upgrades or external storage devices readily available? Saving things to cassettes, and using RS-232 to transfer files back and forth with a PC is alright, but I wouldn't mind something a bit more convenient!

Reactions: ACK
I haven't tried it yet, but here's a neat little floppy emulator to replace the Tandy Portable Disk Drive 2.

I think they're being made to order now. Contact info in the video's description on Youtube.

First thing you oughta do is max out the RAM to 32k if it’s not already there.

That Backpack drive mentioned above is pretty amazing. I am fairly sure you can hold all the software ever written for the M100 on it.

Add a REX# to it to allow multiple memory banks and ROMs.

Finally a wifi modem can get you onto a bunch of BBSs.

Enjoy!

I haven't tried it yet, but here's a neat little floppy emulator to replace the Tandy Portable Disk Drive 2.

I think they're being made to order now. Contact info in the video's description on Youtube.

Looks awesome! I sent him an email to find out about pricing and availability. This is pretty much exactly what I want in an external storage device.

First thing you oughta do is max out the RAM to 32k if it’s not already there.

That Backpack drive mentioned above is pretty amazing. I am fairly sure you can hold all the software ever written for the M100 on it.

Add a REX# to it to allow multiple memory banks and ROMs.

Finally a wifi modem can get you onto a bunch of BBSs.

Enjoy!

Yup, got an 8 K chip on the way courtesy of ebay (it was one of the compatible NEC part numbers on the list that I found).

REX# is going on my shopping list too. I definitely want Multiplan and TS-DOS in ROM, with the ability to save and restore memory backups. The wireless modem isn't high priority, but I'd probably buy one if I found a good deal. I don't know how much BBSing I want to do on a 40x8 screen. :) Now, a packet radio TNC on the other hand...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Hoping to get this thing loaded up so I can give it the attention it properly deserves.

The 8 K RAM chip arrived a little while ago and I popped it in. It's the same model of chip used for the built-in RAM, so it's a perfect match. I ran RAMTST.BA and everything checks out okay.

Looks like the new NiCd memory battery and backpack drive will be showing up Monday, and the REX# is in transit, though I don't have an ETA on that one. The extra 8 K will make it easy enough to load TS-DOS into RAM while I wait for the REX# to arrive.

Wow, I had no idea about this. Just ordered one, thanks for the heads-up!

db2, can you share where you bought the RAM and the REX# from? I have a 102 that I'd like to soup up as well :D

The backpack drive is a superb product. It gives the 100/102 a new lease on life, and is well worth the cost.

8k RAM upgrade and Rex# (and Rex CPM) can be had from Steve Adolph via http://www.club100.org

I have a Rex# in my 102, which allows me to load a whole bunch of Option ROMs, run TS-DOS (to communicate with the backpack drive) and backup the 102's RAM. It's amazing that there is still development work going on around the TRS-80 Model 100/Tandy 102 systems. It helps show why they were so well liked.

The backpack drive is a superb product. It gives the 100/102 a new lease on life, and is well worth the cost.

8k RAM upgrade and Rex# (and Rex CPM) can be had from Steve Adolph via http://www.club100.org

I have a Rex# in my 102, which allows me to load a whole bunch of Option ROMs, run TS-DOS (to communicate with the backpack drive) and backup the 102's RAM. It's amazing that there is still development work going on around the TRS-80 Model 100/Tandy 102 systems. It helps show why they were so well liked.

Pretty cool, yeah I love that there is still an active community for these machines. Just ordered the same stuff for mine, this gives me a great excuse to start playing with the 102 again. I have some ideas on how to put it to some use!

Pretty cool, yeah I love that there is still an active community for these machines. Just ordered the same stuff for mine, this gives me a great excuse to start playing with the 102 again. I have some ideas on how to put it to some use!

I've been tinkering with BASIC (of course), and it also makes a great packet radio terminal for my ham radio setup. :) I've noticed a few instabilities when playing around with various option ROMs - even TS-DOS is not without the occasional issue - but I can't tell if it's due to bugs in the original ROMs, issues with the REX# or Backpack, or something else. Turning the machine off while running an option ROM in the REX# seems to be a definite no-no, as the REX# ends up in the wrong bank when you power on again.

Pretty cool, yeah I love that there is still an active community for these machines.

It's the keyboard. They're neat machines, but they have the BEST keyboard. I've never felt anything else like it.

I used to use mine to compose texts for bulletin boards and upload them. One very cool feature was that it would wrap your 40 column text to 80 columns when uploading. I would just write posts in bed. Great little machine.

It's the keyboard. They're neat machines, but they have the BEST keyboard. I've never felt anything else like it.

I used to use mine to compose texts for bulletin boards and upload them. One very cool feature was that it would wrap your 40 column text to 80 columns when uploading. I would just write posts in bed. Great little machine.

For real, the 102 has just about the best keyboard I've ever used (well, except for those weedy little arrow keys). I'd love a good USB keyboard with these key mechanisms.

It's the keyboards on the 100 and 102 that keep me coming back to them. Of the two, the 100 is slightly more crisp, but only by a narrow margin. The TRS-80 4P keyboard is in much the same class too - an age when keyboards mattered!

My modern-era close equivalent are brown key USB gaming keyboards. Almost as good... but not quite!

Back