Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Cheapo IDE interface for Model 4p running MM CP/M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem here is that it is working with CP/M with the code Matt modified. If you are going to try to use it with the ide.dsk that is provided in the original project and create a disk from it and then try to use with LDOS or TRSDOS 6 then good luck I can't get it to work at all.

Tried a 2GB CF card and hard drives varying from 80MB to 6GB with no success. Other than checking the status port 47H in which case they all respond properly.

The ide.dsk does have the source code so if someone is familiar with LDOS code please have a look at it. Might be a simple fix to get it working. In the original version of this project the author says to check for 80 or 88 on port 40H which you will never get AFAIK.

Port 47H will give this value. So maybe the code is looking for 80 on port 40h and needs be changed to check for 80 on port 47h? I don't know
    *FrankG*

Comment

Try adding a 10k PU to D7.

Comment

Ok what will that do? Curious as to why. Your more of an electronics guy then I am.
        *FrankG*

Comment

Not sure, it depends on what the code is doing (and I haven't looked at the code). But the IDE spec states there should be a 10k PU on DD7 and it's used during the drive detection/initialisation process.

Comment

Ooops! It's a 10k PD, sorry - disregard that

Comment

I found the assembler and re-assembled the formatter found in the IDE.dsk image, HDForm6, with the same results: didn't work. I thought possibly the formatter was not the correct version but it is. I haven't found anything glaring in the source code that would lead me to suspect the source code is at fault.

Still looking.....

Matt

Comment

I don't really belong here but I may have an insight for yall...

When I rewrote the boot code for my GIDE to use on the 4p, I had to tweak the status results... tho I don't remember right now exactly what I had to change, IIRC there was a bit set that equates to an error in the old MFM result...

... and now that I think about it, I believe it WAS the '8' in $80... which I think I masked out.

Something to look into.
                Last edited by leeb; June 17, 2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I've revised the PCB. I think the logic can be reduced to just 2 ICs - an LS688 decoder, which produces active-low output, and an ACT32 OR gate, which can drive up to 70mA according to the datasheet. Although I've added an LS245 buffer too.

I'm feeding the address match direct to IDE /CS0 and generating IDE IORD and IDE IOW by OR'ing expansion bus IORQ and IN (and IORQ and OUT). This should resolve any timing issues since the IDE device will see the address and chip-select lines before the command. I've also added some additional termination to the IDE header per ATA specs.

Since there was an unused OR gate, I've used it to drive the LED. This should permit a 15-20mA LED to be used even with a CompactFlash card (which will itself provide only 2-5mA). Also IDE key pin (pin 20) is connected to VCC which enables some IDE-to-CompactFlash adapters to be used either without power connected to it, or possibly (I've not tested this) with power connected to the CompactFlash adapter being used to power the TRS-80 IDE adapter.

Schematics, PCB layout, Eagle design files and datasheets in this archive. It would be great if the circuit could be bread-boarded by someone (I don't have any TRS80 hardware).
                  Last edited by pearce_jj; June 17, 2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

This looks Awesome!

Matt

Comment

Hmmm Don't have an LS688 but have an LS32 will that do?.

I tried the LS245 on the data bus last night and could not get any valid info back from the IDE drive. Ports 40-47 were all giving me 127 decimal. Should have at least had a 80 on port 47h. Maybe I had something screwy.

I am not committing to building a prototype yet. But might give it a shot once I can obtain a LS688.

I posted this earlier about the 245 problems.
                      *FrankG*

Comment

Matt, Have a look at the driver files HDWD6A/ASM and HDWD6B/ASM together they create the HDDVR6/DCT device driver for the HD.
                        *FrankG*

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome45 View Post
                          Hmmm Don't have an LS688 but have an LS32 will that do?
                          The LS32 may not have enough oomph to drive *EXTIOSEL. For LS688, you can also used LS520 or LS521 (or HCT varients of any of them).

I don't know why the LS245 didn't want to work. Gate could be held low permanently I guess and DIR connected to *EXTIOSEL (with IDE data bus on the B side).

Comment

OK gotcha Ok tomorrow I'll run to the electronics surplus and see if they have an ACT32 and an LS688. Probably just tear down my existing board (chips only) and attempt this might take a couple of days. I would really like to see this thing work under LDOS!

The LS245 I had pin 1 at low and pin 19 high so I could use the "A" side as input.
                            *FrankG*

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome45 View Post
                              The LS245 I had pin 1 at low and pin 19 high so I could use the "A" side as input.
                              You sure? Pin 19 (gate) puts both sides high-Z when high.

Comment

OOOps reverse that 1 was high 19 was low!
                                *FrankG*

Comment

Working...
                                X