Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Cheapo IDE interface for Model 4p running MM CP/M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waltermixxx
    replied
    Just a note that i have started a new thread regarding the Lo-Tech TRS-80 IDE Interface. I did not want to hijack this thread regarding my setting up or any issues i have a long the way if I have any. Im not currently trying to get C/PM running nor do I have a Model 4P so I thought i should try a new thread just in case. I have read through this thread, so I will try and not ask any questions in the new thread that have been covered here.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...829#post404829

Leave a comment:

• Audronic
    replied
    @Trash-Eighty

Please just use "" Format/cmd "" to format the drive NOT HDFMTAPP/CMD.
    Just try it on drive 4 and see what happens.

Good luck

Ray

Leave a comment:

• Gazza
    replied
    Rainer
    Tis a few differences between the Lo-tech IDE and the standard Tandy hard drive controller that will stop NEWDOS from working with the Lo-tech.
    The Tandy 8x300 and WD1010 hard drive controllers use ports C0H - CFH but the Lo-tech only decodes ports C8H -CFH.
    Port C0H is used for the write protect switch. When the HDFMTAPP reads port C0H it sees FFH and assumes that the WRITE PROTECT is switched on.

Other problems are the difference in sector size and sector numbering.

Tis also a potential problem with HDFMTAPP. HDFMTAPP works OK with the early 8x300 controller but has a bug that can cause problems with the later WD1010 controller and possibly with the Lo-Tech.
    The same bug can damage the Model 3 image (MODELA/III) on a 4P.

Regarding your LSDOS boot problems, note that there are 2 versions of the drivers for the Lo-Tech. one uses ports base 40H and the other uses ports base C8H. Check your config.
    cheers
    Gazza

Leave a comment:

• Trash-Eighty
    replied
    Thanks Ray for the help.
    I have applied the patch to NEWDOS80 v2.5 but without success. No formatting possible.
    HDFMTAPP/CMD ends with an error: 'WRITE PROTECTED DRIVE'.
    FORMAT,n ends with: 'CAN'T INITIALIZE SECTOR n' (as noted in #362).

I have tested the patched NEWDOS80 v2.5 with 4 different 2.5" HDs which are working good under LS-DOS.

By the way - with my LS-DOS there is a booting issue regarding the jumper JP1 open/closed and HD access. I have to open it during boot otherwise booting hangs. If booting is done to the LS-DOS prompt the HD access is perfect with JP1 closed.
    I will explore that further and if the problem is consistent I would like to report it here in detail.

-Rainer
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Audronic
    replied
    @Trash-Eighty

If you have some 3.5" Hard drives to use without the converter below is a list of tested drives

a Copy of an email Follows :-

Lo-Tech Hard drives

Hi Ga__a

You Might believe this, out of the 14 Drives that i have here (IDE) 10 of them Auto Boot and the other 4 don’t
    You would think that on percentage i would have picked 1 of these to put in both IDE projects. ( I built Ians version for him ).*
    The drives that work seem to be OLDER drives (?? Version 1 ATA/IDE ??)
    -======================================-
    Hard Drives that Work as AutoBoot

Western Digital WD200
    Western Digital 36400 Enhanced IDE 6 Gig
    Maxtor 541DX 5400 RPM 20 Gig Ultra ATA/100
    Maxtor 32049H2* 20 .4 Gig AT HDA 02a
    maxtor 92049U3 20.4 Gig HDA 03a (Apple Branded)*
    Maxtor 31536H2 LBA 15 Gig HDA 02a
    Maxtor 90432D3* Hda/Up Level 03a
    Samsung SV2001H 20 Gig* LBA,39,179,952
    Quantum Fireball 10 Gig QOLID655T0026 (Apple Branded)
    Quantum Fireball 20.4 AT LD20A014-01-A
    Fujitsu MPE3170AT 17 GIG

-======================================-
    Hard Drives that Don't Work as AutoBoot

Seagate ST36812a 6.8 Gig U10
    Seagate ST340823e 40 Gig
    Seagate ST380011A 80 Gig

etc :----

Western Digital Caviar 1425 426.8 megs
    It would format but fails when writing the system info.
    -================================================== ===-
    Good luck Ray

Leave a comment:

• Audronic
    replied
    @Trash-Eighty

There is a "" TEMPORY PATCH "" that you do to the Model 3 Newdos-80 to allow the Format command to work.

Newdos 80 Version 2.5 for The MODEL3
    Needs a patch to allow the FORMAT command to work, For Hard Drives,
    and also for Sdltrs Mac Emulator with hard drives attached.

The Patch ( By Andrew Quinn ) I have Named the Version as Newdos80 V2.5aq.

A patch to NewDOS/80 V 2.5 Model 3 useing SUPERZAP in DFS mode.

The Patch is applied to sys0/sys FRS 18 byte E4.

Modify SYS0/SYS

File Relative Sector 18

MOD E4 to E6 01 (old value was 09) 28 ( E6 09 28 )

ENTER (to terminate edit mode and save)

EXIT (to exit SuperZAP)

Reboot.

PS :- I have Patched the Boot up header to Read

" VERSION 2.5aq " To acknowledge Andrews efforts.

Good luck Ray

Leave a comment:

• Trash-Eighty
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Hartman View Post
    So would I. Since Newdos/80 2.5 is working on the FreHD, maybe the same people might be interested in getting it working on this adapter too...?
    Yes I'm interested too.
    I have tried to address a 2.5" HD with NEWDOS80 2.5 via the Lo-Tech adapter. The HD can be accessed (JP1 open C8-CFh). But FORMAT responds with a 'CAN'T INITIALIZE SECTOR n' error. A DIR command works but due to the content of the HD is not yet TRS-80 compatible the DIR listing ends after a few scrambled pseudo file entries with an 'DIRECTORY READ ERROR'. If NEWDOS is somehow comfortable with the scrambled entries the DIR command is processed without an error.

-Rainer
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JonB
    replied
    Well, I hope you find one that does the job.

Cheers

JonB

Leave a comment:

• Al Hartman
    replied
    I don't have to buy an old PC to make into an Emulation station. I just have to dig one of my old units out of storage. I have a few 5.25" drives, so all I need is to test a couple of systems until I find one compatible with Single Density, and that will be the system I use.

Leave a comment:

• JonB
    replied
    Hi Al

I was hoping to find one off the shelf somewhere, but of course I could make it up myself. Good advice about the vice! Last time I did it with a pair of pliers (for the Model 4 external floppy drive cable) - it works, but I broke the clip (d'oh!). I see you are struggling to get downloaded images onto physical media. I can sympathise! I guess you've seen my thread about this. I have decided it will be cheaper and easier for me to use an HxC floppy disk emulator rather than buy an old PC with 5.25" drives (actually, I can't find one anywhere!) and hope it will be compatible. However, I ordered a standalone unit that I can connect to any of my other retro computers so the investment will be utilised to the max.

There's a YouTube video of it working on a model 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg53G9RjvMM

Regards

JonB

Leave a comment:

• Al Hartman
    replied
    I had an old SCSI cable here, and I bought a crimp-on connector on eBay. I misplaced the first set, so I ordered another set of connectors. I have a borrowed cable press, but you can use a vise and a couple of pieces of wood to protect the connector.

Leave a comment:

• JonB
    replied
    Ordered a kit.

Now where can I get the cable in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• Chromedome45
    replied
    For my emulator machine I use a Pentium 1 233 with 360k floppy and a 1.44. Works quite well.

Leave a comment:

• Al Hartman
    replied
    Why don't you believe me when I say that I know how to make physical disks from an image, but that the PC I have setup for the purpose just isn't capable of it?

You need a 386 DX 33mhz or better to run one of the MS-DOS Emulators and get 1:1 speed. An 8088 5150 PC is TOO SLOW to do that. I didn't know this. I stupidly gave away a perfect NEC Computer in 2009 when I moved here.

I have to drag out one of my older systems from storage, mount a 360k drive in it, and set it up to run the emulators.

Advice won't change the fact that I'm disabled and can only do so much in a day. (It's also very hot here, and the only room that has air-conditioning is my bedroom, which is NOT where my Model 4, or my 5150 is. So, I can only tolerate the heat for so long.)

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't change any circumstances here. If I had an able-bodied assistant, I'd have had this done long ago.

Leave a comment:

• Audronic
    replied
    @Al Hartman

Ok.
    I have been spoilt having a FreHD, just copy it to the Sd Card and away you go.

Or if you want another Method of making a Floppy from Images (Gazza's Method)
    Open up the zip and have a look at IMAGE Documents and Print out:- 1 - How to make a Floppy Disk From an /img File DOUBLE DENSITY.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhg16qqngf...-2014.zip?dl=0

Good Luck

Ray
    Last edited by Audronic; August 31, 2014, 07:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X