• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best (non-sierra) games for the Tandy 1000

mojorific

Experienced Member
I'd like to hear what others think of as the best non-sierra specific games for the Tandy 1000. Everyone has played sierra games from that era of 1986-1990, so what are some other good games from that time period?

Starflight was a good one. It was considered one of the first open ended games and it was the first game I got for my 1000 HX in '87. I also had Pool of Radiance (DnD) back then, and played the rest of the series on my first deployment to Iraq in '04.

Just don't play an original F-15 Strike Fighter disk. The copy protection actually bounced the drive head on the disk and had a tendency of knocking the drive out of alignment. The publisher's response was to just get the drive realigned every 100 hours or so.

on my XT i don't thinik i played many games outside of sierra with a wow-factor. I did spend a lot of time on Starflight (make sure you get the folded map with Starflight).
Thexder is by Sierra and I actually returned it to Radio Shack.. i just didn't find it fun on my 8088 processor (I think i still had CGA during that time). Maybe it played the same on a 286.
Try Prince of Persia, Tass Time in Tone Town.. Wizard of ID typing.. Pango.. Alley Cat.. Flight Simulator (1982), Zaxxon, paratrooper, Lemmings (fun puzzles)

I'd like to hear what others think of as the best non-sierra specific games for the Tandy 1000. Everyone has played sierra games from that era of 1986-1990, so what are some other good games from that time period?

It's got to be Tetris.

My favourites of the time were Arkanoid, Star Control (which was a bit slow but fun), Battletech (Inception + Revenge), and Infiltrator.

I'll give starflight a try - printed the manual today to see what it's like.

Oh! And Pirates, and Sim City.

There is for sure! My old Tandy SX with an 8088 used to play Sim City. I remember I didn't have a mouse at the time, but it worked fine with keyboard too.

Now I have it again with my Tandy TL/2 running in Tandy 16 color with a Tandy serial mouse. Works fantastic!

Sometimes I find it frustrating, but the smooth animation + sound makes it worth it on my TL/2 - Prince of Persia (just spotted luvit already posted that one - but it does make the Tandy shine)

I'd at least acknowledge the fun of the "Gold Box" SSI/TSR games as well. I don't know the history well enough but was Wizardry out for DOS back then? Ultima would be another probably worth playing with although personally I sort of like (well I think .. never played them all or all through) the The Age of Enlightenment: (Ultima IV - VI) series.

Sometimes I find it frustrating, but the smooth animation + sound makes it worth it on my TL/2 - Prince of Persia (just spotted luvit already posted that one - but it does make the Tandy shine)

Indeed. The game plays perfectly smooth on the TL/2. Silpheed is probably also the best shooter for the Tandy 1000 that plays great too. It'll play with Midi Music and Tandy Sound Effects.

Wow! How did you swing that? Any why?

It's especially impressive considering the SX came with a 80286 installed! :)

I run the original SimCity on my XT's - came on 360K floppies - best played at > 8Mhz though.
I'm wondering if you're thinking of SimCity 2000, 3000 or 4?

a bit older thread, but interesting. there are some games that stand out, while using 16colors cga/ega and also using the complete music/audio capabilities.
Budokan seems to be a good choice, but I have to admit, that VGA and Roland is better on that game with 286.
ZakMacKracken stands out. Best version on Tandy.

Gold box games, Zeliard, Ultima IV/V, Bard's Tale, Battletech, Castles, Defender of the crown, Lemmings?

Wow! How did you swing that? Any why?

It's especially impressive considering the SX came with a 80286 installed! :)

Sim City runs on my Tandy 1000A just fine. Quite a lot of fun with the Deluxe Mouse.

I also have to put Arkanoid and Arkanoid II up there as good non-sierra titles for the Tandy 1000 series. I also run those on my 1000A.

Star Flight. I was impressed on how well Ikari Warriors ran on my friend's 1000 TX. I had an ITT Xtra XP also with a 286, and an NSI vga card (initially I may have had a cheapo cga card), and it ran like the arcade game. The TX was more zippy. I liked it.

Back