Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Modify a GOTEK floppy emulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dJOS View Post
    Which firmware are you using?
    I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm using the default firmware that came on the device with a 486 for now. it works great for that.

I understand I'll need to change firmware for the TRS-80. Still trying to learn what's up with that, but I have a friend who has done it lately with a paid flash program (not for TRS-80). I understand there's also a free flash option. so much to learn.

I ordered the programming cable and a second gotek. I plan to leave my 486 version as stock for now.

Comment

The twist is always for the last drive on the cable. It may be in the line where the cable has multiple connectors types for the last drive. The twist was done to make assembly easier for the drives. All drives came from the factory with the same jumper locations. If the cable was straight, someone would have to look up where and how to set the jumpers for the second drive. This was error prone and required someone to pull the jumper off and put it back for the different drive. With the twist, one could put the drive in either location and it would work as it came out of the box. I should note that later drive no longer even have jumpers for the drive select. If they have anything at all, it would just be a surface mount 0 ohm resistor.
      Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dokken View Post
        I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm using the default firmware that came on the device with a 486 for now. it works great for that.

I understand I'll need to change firmware for the TRS-80. Still trying to learn what's up with that, but I have a friend who has done it lately with a paid flash program (not for TRS-80). I understand there's also a free flash option. so much to learn.

I ordered the programming cable and a second gotek. I plan to leave my 486 version as stock for now.
        Ok, flash floppy in shugart mode should work well and it's free. Hxc is great but not worth 11€ in comparison.
        My Retro Collection:
        CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
        Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
        PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
        Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Comment

TRS-80 gotek Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.58.26 PM.jpgthis floppy cable should work? it'a a PC floppy cable with an edge card connector AND 34 pin connector for each floppy. the edge card has the notch which i could cut out.

Comment

i made a cable using the floppy cable above. 34 pin edge card to floppy. continuity is good.

My current gotek is stock, working on a 486. someone above mentioned shugart firmware for the TRS-80, but as i understand shugart is the default firmware on goteks.

i hooked up my TRS-80/EI with the gotek (powered by a PC next to it) and a USB key formatted the first few disks as MSDOS bootable. I know this will not boot, but i wanted to see what happened.

The TRS-80 gives the garbage screen that i was never able to get past due (I believe) to non-working floppies. The 16K model 1 does show 48K when the EI is connected, and the internal relay clicks as expected. I have 2 His and they behave the same, so i am going to assume they're working.

power EI, gotek, keyboard in that order.

I tried the floppy/gotek cable both ways (flipped the connector). one way it lights up the green LED on the gotek, the other way it doesn't.

I still get the garbage screen.

Any suggestions? thanks

Comment

When you say stock firmware, what FW is on your's?

You can tell by powering it up with no USB stick in the drive - the 3 Digit LED will show:

HXC = hHc
              F-F = Flash Floppy
              stock = (i cant recall)

if you dont have HxC or Flash Floppy you will not be able to use it on your TRS-80.
              My Retro Collection:
              PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD

Comment

Originally posted by dJOS View Post
                When you say stock firmware, what FW is on your's?

You can tell by powering it up with no USB stick in the drive - the 3 Digit LED will show:

HXC = hHc
                F-F = Flash Floppy
                stock = (i cant recall)

if you dont have HxC or Flash Floppy you will not be able to use it on your TRS-80.
                thanks, i figured that was the case.

my gotek just shows 3 zeros with no stick.

my second gotek will be here tomorrow, and my programming cables arrived today. i'll dig into it this weekend. it's all new to me, i was thrilled to get it working on a 486. if i get these working i still need to get my xt-ide working on my 5150. it kinda works, but is flakey and the CF card gets corrupted after a while. but it will boot to the CF. that's another project for another day after i get some goteks working.

thanks for your help.

Comment

If the Gotek LED comes on with power-on, you've got the cable on upside-down. My recollection is that the Goteks are factory-configured to use the second drive select (DS1), while the TRS-80 is expecting the first drive select (DS0).

That's according to my faulty memory.
                  Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                    If the Gotek LED comes on with power-on, you've got the cable on upside-down. My recollection is that the Goteks are factory-configured to use the second drive select (DS1), while the TRS-80 is expecting the first drive select (DS0).

That's according to my faulty memory.
                    thanks, very helpful, and I was sure the cable was reversed when the light came on. with the red stripe to pin one on both sides, no LED. i was just looking for signs of life and not too familiar with TRS-80 floppy drives. A model 1 with dual floppy drives was my first computer in the 80s, but i've forgot most of what i knew about it.

like many things in this hobby, this gotek is arcane and documentation is scarce. especially for the TRS-80.

Comment

thanks, very helpful, and I was sure the cable was reversed when the light came on. with the red stripe to pin one on both sides, no LED. i was just looking for signs of life and not too familiar with TRS-80 floppy drives. A model 1 with dual floppy drives was my first computer in the 80s, but i've forgot most of what i knew about it.

like many things in this hobby, this gotek is arcane and documentation is scarce. especially for the TRS-80.
                      I have a Gotek on my Model 4 hooked up on a cable externally (no twists, of course). I have the two (original) internal drives as 0 & 1 (those have the typical ID'd cables), and I have the external drives in a powered case with a Gotek as 0 and another Floppy Drive as 1 (full 50 pin cables, not ID'd). It never worked for me with stock firmware, it does work with either Flashfloppy or HXC, both of them are looking for files in the names of 'DSKA0000.HFE' (0000-0999). If you're using it as a secondary drive, the typical TRS-80 nuisances apply like making sure the Gotek disk is the same OS as the one you booted from (Trsdos, lsdos, etc).
                      -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Comment

thank you!

i'm watching the tutorial on setting up flash floppy:

https://youtu.be/-K31S2xqZIk?t=841

he's doing this for an amiga, and in prepping the thumb drive he uses the autoboot mode config. I assume this is the same for TRS-80 use?

for the file selector, he uses amiga (of course). in the file selector, i see windows, atari, amstrad, and amiga files in the firmware package. what would i select at this step for TRS-80 use?

thanks.

Comment

thank you!

i'm watching the tutorial on setting up flash floppy:

https://youtu.be/-K31S2xqZIk?t=841

he's doing this for an amiga, and in prepping the thumb drive he uses the autoboot mode config. I assume this is the same for TRS-80 use?

for the file selector, he uses amiga (of course). in the file selector, i see windows, atari, amstrad, and amiga files in the firmware package. what would i select at this step for TRS-80 use?

thanks.
                          If you add small OLED screen you don't need any config files at all, the screen will allow you to navigate thru your usb drive and auto mount whichever image your need.
                          My Retro Collection:

Comment

i got my second gotek this afternoon and put flash floppy on it. I get f-f when powered on.

I still do not get anything but the garbage screen on the TRS-80 when EI is connected. i understand this is normal behavior when disks are not present? keyboard boots to basic fine standalone or when hitting break with EI.

Seems like jumper is set properly, cable is working (flipped cable displays 'cbl' on gotek with flash floppy). gotek shows signs of usb activity and green led comes on at certain stages, including pressing keyboard reset button.

i tried a zork1.dmk file, but i get error 34. I now have zork1.dsk and it seems to be doing something, or at least no errors i can see.

i put ff.cfg in root and uncommented the shugart entry. that's all i did to cfg.

one concern is that i've never seen my EI work other than the keyboard showing ?mem of 48k when connected (vs 16k).

any other tips? thanks.

Comment

Last night I got a Gotek to run on my CoCo2.

After re-flashing the Gotek with Flash Floppy, the display will show "F-F" with no USB installed. I replaced the original display with a LED display which shows the USB file name currently selected, ##/### of files and location of head.

The only thing I put in the FF.CFG file was: " host = tandy-coco"

Put a few DSK files on the USB and everything works like a original floppy disk! But its too quiet, got to do the sound mod.....

Now the fun begins, going to hopefully get my old disks copied over to USB drive. Hope they read...
                              My collection is: few Coco2's , a few Tandy 1000TL, TL2, RLX and assorted old cards and motherboards

Comment

Seems like jumper is set properly, cable is working (flipped cable displays 'cbl' on gotek with flash floppy). gotek shows signs of usb activity and green led comes on at certain stages, including pressing keyboard reset button.

i tried a zork1.dmk file, but i get error 34. I now have zork1.dsk and it seems to be doing something, or at least no errors i can see.
                                I'm pretty sure that flashfloppy doesn't recognize dsk or dmk trs-80 model x type disks (just CoCo format). I believe you need to convert them to hfe files.
                                -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Comment

Working...
                                X