• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best DOS for each model

kb2syd

Veteran Member
I have a strange fondness for the radio shack computers. What DOS does everyone prefer for each model?

I like TRS-DOS because that's what I've used on the III, 4 and early 16. Here's my list of OS's for models I have (or in the case of the 16a, had).
Feel free to add on or make snarky comments.

CoCo 1 - RSDOS 1.1
CoCo 2 - RSDOS 1.1
CoCo3 - NitrOS-9
Model I - No preference. No real DOS experience with this one.
Model II - TRSDOS 2.0a, because it isn't CP/M.
Model III - TRSDOS 1.3 (used this in high school)
Model 4/4p - LS-DOS 6.3.1
Model 12 - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Model 16a - Single User - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Model 16a - Multi User - Xenix 3.2 (if you did the PAL upgrade).
Model 16B - Xenix 3.2
Model 100/102 - Built in with a NADS box
Model 200 - Built in with a NADS box
Model 600 - Built in - not applicable
Model 2000 - Only ever used MS-DOS 2.00 (there is a Xenix for it, but I've never seen it)
Model 6000 - Xenix 3.2

I didn't include ANY of the clones intentionally. Feel free to do so.

Last edited:
I have a strange fondness for the radio shack computers. What DOS does everyone prefer for each model?

I like TRS-DOS because that's what I've used on the III, 4 and early 16. Here's my list of OS's for models I have (or in the case of the 16a, had).
Feel free to add on or make snarky comments.

CoCo 1 - RSDOS 1.1
CoCo 2 - RSDOS 1.1
CoCo3 - NitrOS-9
Model I - No preference. No real DOS experience with this one.
Model III - TRSDOS 1.3 (used this in high school)
Model 4/4p - LS-DOS 6.3.1
Model 12 - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Model 16a - Single User - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Model 16a - Multi User - Xenix 3.2 (if you did the PAL upgrade).
Model 16B - Xenix 3.2
Model 100/102 - Built in with a NADS box
Model 200 - Built in with a NADS box
Model 600 - Built in - not applicable
Model 2000 - Only every used MS-DOS 2.00 (there is a Xenix for it, but I've never seen it)
Model 6000 - Xenix 3.2

I don't see the computer on your list; i.e. the 1000SX. I've run just about everything on it up to and including MS-DOS 6.22, however, It presently has the Tandy version of DOS 3.2 w/Desk Mate installed.

I don't see the computer on your list; i.e. the 1000SX. I've run just about everything on it up to and including MS-DOS 6.22, however, It presently has the Tandy version of DOS 3.2 w/Desk Mate installed.
See above. By clones I mean the PC,XT,AT, etc family. I felt there really wasn't much to discuss there. Feel free to add your own thoughts on this.

Model 1, I've really got to go with NewDOS 80.... Model III, LDOS was such epic WIN -- mostly I used 5.1.4. Hell, Tandy basically admitted LDOS was better than anything they could do which is why TRS-DOS 6 basically IS LDOS.

Only including the machines I've used more than a few times:

Model I - LDOS 5.3.1 (LDOS rocks...feels usable even today)
Model II - TRSDOS 2.0a (just feels right on this machine)
Model III - LDOS 5.3.1 (LDOS rocks...)
Model 4/4p - LS-DOS 6.3.1 (super LDOS....with 80 columns...awesome)
Model 12 - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Modle 16A - Single User - TRSDOS-16 (just because no one else is using it...anywhere..makes you feel unique)
Model 16A - Multi-User - Xenix 1.3 (the killer system when it was released)

Model 16B - Xenix 1.3
Model 6000 - Xenix 3.2 (the ultimate TRS-80 and OS combination)

I still have copies of NewDOS (and the xerox'd docs [thanks Uncle Sugar!]) that I used 1979 (or 80?) on. However, NewDOS' hard drive support is miserable at best: LDOS with a FreHD or MISE FTW (For the Win)!

Mike

There's fighting talk for you!

:)

Me, I prefer CP/M because I know it. I have it and various TRS-DOS flavours on all my Tandys, but I keep going back to CP/M. I think I will start a new thread about the differences!

Model II - TRSDOS 2.0a (just feels right on this machine)
Model III - LDOS 5.3.1 (LDOS rocks...)
Model 4/4p - LS-DOS 6.3.1 (super LDOS....with 80 columns...awesome)
Model 12 - TRSDOS-II 4.2
Modle 16A - Single User - TRSDOS-16 (just because no one else is using it...anywhere..makes you feel unique)

Model 16B - Xenix 1.3
Model 6000 - Xenix 3.2 (the ultimate TRS-80 and OS combination)

What a super collection... :)

However, NewDOS' hard drive support is miserable at best: LDOS with a FreHD or MISE FTW (For the Win)!
Mike

Mike,

could you please explain the pro and cons about the two DOSes regarding the harddisk (FreHD) use?
I'm very interested in your opinion because I'm a little torn between this two DOS.

-Rainer

Me, I prefer CP/M because I know it. I have it and various TRS-DOS flavours on all my Tandys, but I keep going back to CP/M. I think I will start a new thread about the differences!.

I'd love to see a modern look at a detailed comparison of Model II CP/Ms.

There's fighting talk for you!

Was supposed to be. Glad you took up the cause for CP/M. I've just never loved it, but I see where/how it can be useful.

What a super collection... :)
What, no love for my collection? I have all of what I listed (except the 16a, may she rest in pieces) plus more. Even have the Model II desk, the Model II Scantron and the VIS MUX unit.

I just never used disks with my model I. Only the tape drive. I have drives. I should get back to it.

I considered this. I wrote (in basic) a complete professional time management program on TRSDOS-16. It was a LOT of fun.

Model 16B - Xenix 1.3
Since getting the PAL update now is impossible, I think you're right here.

Since getting the PAL update now is impossible, I think you're right here.

This is the one detailed in Technical Bulletin 12/16B:44

There are two PALs required, along with a few wire and trace cut mods, and it only ever worked with the 'short' 6MHz boards. The 'long' or dog-eared boards used in the original 16 and in Model II's upgraded to a 16 were never upgradable.

If anyone has a 6MHz 'short' board (out of a 16B) with this mod it would be worthwhile trying to read out the fuses of U36 and U48. We could then duplicate these PALs. I had a couple of these; not sure who ended up with them. Kelly, did I happen to send one or both to you along with the 6000 SM?

Barring that, Xenix 1.3 is where it's at for the 6MHz boards.

Now, if someone wanted to port Fuzix to the 16..... then you could have something more modern yet retro.

I'll have to add that Fuzix looks like the ultimate Model4 and 4P DOS, but you have to have 128K and a hard disk to run it. The 12 and the II with the right mod (or a second 64K board for the II) would be a porting target for Fuzix. (Fuzix; Alan Cox of Linux kernel-hacking fame has taken the best parts of UZI, UZI-180, and UZI-280 along with long experience in the Linux realm and input from the UZIX and SymbOS ( http://www.symbos.de/ ) teams and has started the Fuzix project on GitHub. Here's the GitHub repo: https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX ). Fuzix has much of the flavor of running TRS-Xenix 1.3, as they are both derived from Seventh Edition Unix concepts (Xenix 1.3 was derived from the actual 7th Edition codebase via Microsoft).

Has anyone run any of the Z-System stuff on top of any of the TRS-80 CP/M's?

I'd love to see a modern look at a detailed comparison of Model II CP/Ms.

What would be killer for the CP/M user is a port of ZSDOS. It's GPLed and readily available, and then you have pretty much the ultimate CP/M, even better than the UZI CP/M emulation.

Last edited:
If anyone has a 6MHz 'short' board (out of a 16B) with this mod it would be worthwhile trying to read out the fuses of U36 and U48. We could then duplicate these PALs. I had a couple of these; not sure who ended up with them. Kelly, did I happen to send one or both to you along with the 6000 SM?
You did not send me yours, but I have a couple of modified boards from various model 16B's that have the correct PAL. Who wants to try to read them?

You did not send me yours, but I have a couple of modified boards from various model 16B's that have the correct PAL. Who wants to try to read them?

I have the equipment to read several types of PALs, if they are readable. So if no one else volunteers I will.

(I have a TL866A, an 'Improved Willem', and an Advin Pilot U44+. I would do this read with the Advin, probably.)

What are the actual part numbers of those PALs? The Tech Bulletin doesn't tell if they are 16V8, 16L8, or 16R8 (or something even more esoteric or smaller, like the 8MHz board's U48, which is a 16R4 or the U36 which is a 16R6A). I have a small number of GAL16V8's, and a 16R8 or 16L8 design can be ported over to the V8 with a little effort. I also have a few GAL18V10's and a few AMPAL22V10's. 16R4/16R6A might be a bit hard to find, but we do have the equations for the U36 and U48 on the 8MHz board (they're in the 6000 service manual, pages 84 through 87 (PDF pages 88 through 91)). So it might be possible to port any of those over to GAL16V8, which aren't quite as difficult to obtain.

If I could compare U36 and U48 from an 8MHz board with the same parts from a 6MHz (and if the fuses or the logic match exactly) then we know we could do this using the equations from the 6000 Service Manual.

If I could compare U36 and U48 from an 8MHz board with the same parts from a 6MHz (and if the fuses or the logic match exactly) then we know we could do this using the equations from the 6000 Service Manual.
They have the same checksum sticker on them if that matters. I'll have to see exactly what I have.

Was supposed to be. Glad you took up the cause for CP/M. I've just never loved it, but I see where/how it can be useful.

What, no love for my collection? I have all of what I listed (except the 16a, may she rest in pieces) plus more. Even have the Model II desk, the Model II Scantron and the VIS MUX unit.

Yes, I love them all. Wish I had some of the 68K machines. Definitely rare here in the jolly old "US of K"!

I have all of what I listed (except the 16a, may she rest in pieces) plus more. Even have the Model II desk, the Model II Scantron and the VIS MUX unit.

Oh, I feel a trade coming on here! :)

Yes, I love them all. Wish I had some of the 68K machines. Definitely rare here in the jolly old "US of K"!

I can only imagine what would happen to JonB if he got his hands on a M16 with CP/M-68K!

Back