Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

DS1216E Pinout - want to try and make a replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS1216E Pinout - want to try and make a replacement

DS1216 chips (the DIP16) version are all over the place and seem to be readily available. I was looking at this, and wondering why nobody has made a quick PCB adapter for it (DIP28 socket on top, and pins on bottom) so we can adapt to a DS1216E.

Looking at the pinouts on the DIP16, and how they relate to the DIP28, I'm still missing some information (I don't have a unit to do this testing on, so have been going by the reference on this page and Maxim's data sheet https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/...16-DS1216H.pdf.

Code:
    DS1216 PIN/DESC     DIP28 PIN/DESC
    1 X1                         UNKNOWN, goes to pad
    2 X2                         UNKNOWN, goes to pad
    3 WE*                      PIN 8, WE*
    4 BAT1                     n/c - goes to +3V battery
    5 GND                      PIN 14, GND
    6 D                          PIN 10, A0
    7 Q                          PIN 11, DQ0
    8 GND                      PIN 14, GND
    9 ROM/RAM*            UNKNOWN, goes to pad
    10 CE0*                   PIN 20, CE0*
    11 CE1*                   UNKNOWN, goes to pad
    12 OE*                     PIN 22, OE*
    13 RST*                   PIN 1, RST*
    14 BAT2                   n/c - goes to +3V battery
    15 Vcc0                   UNKNOWN, goes to pad
    16 Vcc1                    PIN 28, VCC
    So, five unknowns and these to potentially pick from on the DIP28:
    Pin 26: VccB
    Pin 27: WE* (but that looked already used?)

Anyone want to help contribute and correct? I'm in a bit of a brain fog, so I really need some help to double check these, especially if you have one of these and can meter out the pins.

Thanks!

Originally posted by acadiel View Post
    DS1216 chips (the DIP16) version are all over the place and seem to be readily available. I was looking at this, and wondering why nobody has made a quick PCB adapter for it (DIP28 socket on top, and pins on bottom) so we can adapt to a DS1216E.
    Hi acadiel, already done using an SMD DS1215. ATM I've designed a standard 28 pin version that works well in a Model II, 2 different versions for the 4P that allow the use of either the standard rom/2532 or a 2732 without any mods to the computer and one for the System 80 that doesn't work haven't had time to fix that one yet. Duane Saylor's original software modified to suit.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sweet! Will this work in the 1000 series? Are they for sale anywhere?

Comment

Working on a SmartWatch replacement here using a supercap so there's no battery to replace. It also uses Batten & Allen leadframe pins so it won't destroy single-wipe sockets. Here's the GW-1244-1, which is for the NVRAM version of the SmartWatch:

Full writeup here:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2018/03/17/gw-1244-1

Currently working on a time-sensitive project for VCF East, this one shouldn't be too hard to knock out once VCF East is done though.

Henry Courbis has a SmartWatch replacement sold as a NoSlotClock on Reactive Micro, but I don't know if he's selling just the bare boards.
        Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

I have found about 75% success with one of the sellers on ebay, and they are reasonable on best offers.

But I like that glitch works item....looks like a good alternative if you have an open ROM socket.

Comment

Originally posted by acadiel View Post
            Sweet! Will this work in the 1000 series? Are they for sale anywhere?
            The 28 pin version is pin for pin the same as the original DS1216E so in theory it should work on a 1000 but as yet untested.
            Working perfectly on my Model II and two 4Ps.
            Just had a peek in the cave, I still have a few of the 4P boards but I don't have any more of the 28 pin boards in stock. SMD DS1215s are no problem but unless I get a few orders I wont be ordering any more boards - don't want to get stuck with a lot of stuff collecting dust.

Comment

I wont be ordering any more boards - don't want to get stuck with a lot of stuff collecting dust.
              Hi Gazza.

Please count me in for one Model 12 board.
              Your Model II version works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans01 View Post
                Hi Gazza.

Hi Hans
                Another BIG Tandy, how many of these things do you have?
                OK that's' one plus another 4 Model IIs I haven't even looked at yet.
                BTW are you using any extra ram cards in your big Tandys?
                Reason is, the Model II Smartwatch software has to fiddle with port 0FFH and hoping it's not causing any problems.
                Gazza

Comment

Hi Gazza.

Another BIG Tandy, how many of these things do you have?
                  I can't compete with you (4 - 2)

I have one extra memory board in the Model II, but no problems with the Gazzawatch.
                  The Model 12 has no extra memory board, but the extra RAM bank on the motherboard can de paginated, so
                  this could cause a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibs View Post
                    I have found about 75% success with one of the sellers on ebay, and they are reasonable on best offers.

But I like that glitch works item....looks like a good alternative if you have an open ROM socket.
                    I ordered a few DS1244 modules to dissect for my replacement board from eBay. The ones I ordered were date stamped 2015, but after taking them apart, I found them to be much older with dead batteries. Clearly relabels!

The SmartWatch replacement I'm working on will have a DIP ROM socket on top, so it'll work just like the original SmartWatch/NoSlotClock. The only difference is, it'll use a DS1315 (newer version of the IC) and a supercapacitor, which will provide around 2000 hours of power-off timekeeping, but recharges almost instantly when powered on and will likely never need replaced.
                    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Hi Gazza.

I can't compete with you (4 - 2)

I have one extra memory board in the Model II, but no problems with the Gazzawatch.
                      The Model 12 has no extra memory board, but the extra RAM bank on the motherboard can de paginated, so
                      this could cause a problem.

But they ain't mine, I'm just the silly bunny that got stuck with them
                      and Dusty got one of the keyboards.
                      So that's one keyboard I don't have to repair

The software keeps an eye on port 0FFH so I'm hoping it wont cause any probs.

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                        Working on a SmartWatch replacement here using a supercap so there's no battery to replace. It also uses Batten & Allen leadframe pins so it won't destroy single-wipe sockets. Here's the GW-1244-1, which is for the NVRAM version of the SmartWatch:
                        Full writeup here:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2018/03/17/gw-1244-1

Currently working on a time-sensitive project for VCF East, this one shouldn't be too hard to knock out once VCF East is done though.

Henry Courbis has a SmartWatch replacement sold as a NoSlotClock on Reactive Micro, but I don't know if he's selling just the bare boards.
                        Drool.... please keep us in the loop when these are order able. My Tandy 1000SL one can set the time, but doesn't seem to 'tick' when it's off. So it gets the time from the last time it was set. I have another one en-route from China, but I'm 0-2 for working ones.

Edit: I was looking at Maxim's sheets, and there was an A-E variant, with different connections for each. I think the one for us was the E variant, which is what I've been ordering. I'm assuming yours might be compatible with the E variant? What are the differences between the 1216's and the 1244s?
                        Last edited by acadiel; April 12, 2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The 1244 is a NVRAM potted module, the 1216s have a socket for either a ROM or a SRAM, depending on the revision. They both use compatible Phantom RTC chips -- the 1216 uses a through-hole version, while the 1244 is surface mount (you can see it in the article I linked, I dissected a DS1244 from China). Obviously there's no reason to make the SRAM versions with my GW-1244-1, so I'll be focusing on the ROM versions. I think I can make a single board with one or more configuration jumpers to select the ROM size/type. In any case, I'll definitely be targeting the -E variant, as my Ampro LittleBoard Z80 system uses the -E variant.

Comment

Hi Gazza.

Hans, if you still want one for the Model 12 let me know, that plus the 4 Model IIs is enough to run off one more batch of boards.
                            I'm interested to see how it runs on the Model 12 - if at all

Comment

Originally posted by Gazza View Post
                              Hans, if you still want one for the Model 12 let me know, that plus the 4 Model IIs is enough to run off one more batch of boards.
                              I'm interested to see how it runs on the Model 12 - if at all
                              Hi Gazza.

Yes, I'am sure.
                              I want to try the gazza watch on my Model 12.
                              I had to replace the battery holder on the Model II version as a 2032 didn't fit in it. The pressure on the spring wasn't enough to keep it in place.
                              Let me know the total costs and I'll pay you with paypal.

Comment

Working...
                              X