Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    I wonder what the reason of not building a DMA controller into the machine was?
    $$$

Tandy bet the farm (and won) on the Tandy 1000 as a low cost home PC-compatible entry. The EX & HX were even lower cost reduced versions of the 1000 line.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Comment

Wow, this is really cool! I’ve got an EX that needs more memory, and am very interested in this. I wonder what the reason of not building a DMA controller into the machine was?
      That's the idea. I was fortunate that when my dad bought the HX originally, he got it with the DMA/RAM card (though the RS232 card would have been nice too). If you're desperate, and feeling so inclined, we figured out a quick and dirty method on page 3 or 4 to get extra RAM installed using only a single 512KB static-RAM chip (such as the AS6C4008 ) and some male-male jumpers. It overlaps a bit with the onboard memory, but as long as the onboard RAM is good, It shouldn't complain.

Pay attention to the fact that the A and B sides of the PLUS header are opposite of what an ISA slot would be. Power/ground are on the side of the floppy drives, address/data on the side of the PSU (lookup an EX or HX technical manual for details). Vcc from one of the 5v pins, Address 0-18 and the Data lines go straight to the chip, Address 19 is the Chip-Enable. Memory-Write and Memory-Read go to Write-Enable and Read/Output-Enable respectively. Then some stickytack or tape or something to keep the chip from flopping around. Not the most elegant solution, but like I said, quick and dirty, and it should get you functional until one of us can get a proper card out.
      Last edited by blackepyon; July 14, 2019, 02:52 PM.
      My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

Originally posted by eeguru View Post
        $$$

Tandy bet the farm (and won) on the Tandy 1000 as a low cost home PC-compatible entry. The EX & HX were even lower cost reduced versions of the 1000 line.
        Despite being based on the PC-Jr, it was much less expensive, and far easier to upgrade. That seems to have made all the difference. I guess IBM was counting on their reputation in the business market to sell the PC-Jr at such a ridiculous price to home users.
        My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
          That's the idea. I was fortunate that when my dad bought the HX originally, he got it with the DMA/RAM card (though the RS232 card would have been nice too). If you're desperate, and feeling so inclined, we figured out a quick and dirty method on page 3 or 4 to get extra RAM installed using only a single 512KB static-RAM chip (such as the AS6C4008 ) and some male-male jumpers. It overlaps a bit with the onboard memory, but as long as the onboard RAM is good, It shouldn't complain.

Pay attention to the fact that the A and B sides of the PLUS header are opposite of what an ISA slot would be. Power/ground are on the side of the floppy drives, address/data on the side of the PSU (lookup an EX or HX technical manual for details). Vcc from one of the 5v pins, Address 0-18 and the Data lines go straight to the chip, Address 19 is the Chip-Enable. Memory-Write and Memory-Read go to Write-Enable and Read/Output-Enable respectively. Then some stickytack or tape or something to keep the chip from flopping around. Not the most elegant solution, but like I said, quick and dirty, and it should get you functional until one of us can get a proper card out.
          Cool! I’ll look into that. It also appears there is a riser being made that would let me use a standard ISA RAM expansion, so I’ll look into that as well.

Still very interested in this DMA memory board though!
          Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

It also appears there is a riser being made that would let me use a standard ISA RAM expansion, so I’ll look into that as well.
            I've sold a lot of the EX / HX PLUS-ISA Riser Cards to folk who have used them to install the Lo-Tech 1MB RAM board and Lo-tech XT-IDE CF boards and from all reports they work very well.

I'd like to combine a 512kb expansion with the Riser card one day (if someone doesn't beat me to it) but I'm a bit time poor atm (more senior job) and haven't had the time to put into it lately.
            My Retro Collection:
            CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
            Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
            PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
            Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Comment

If someone could fit 640K RAM, two UARTs, IDE controller, and a smartwatch on one card that would be perfect.

As soon as my dual riser comes in from DJOS I will try out running the MEM/IDE/SERIAL/VGA cards all at once, no reason to believe it won't work, and with the ability to 3d print a card box bump to allow for the 4th card it will be easy to make it all fit and work well together.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
                If someone could fit 640K RAM, two UARTs, IDE controller, and a smartwatch on one card that would be perfect.

As soon as my dual riser comes in from DJOS I will try out running the MEM/IDE/SERIAL/VGA cards all at once, no reason to believe it won't work, and with the ability to 3d print a card box bump to allow for the 4th card it will be easy to make it all fit and work well together.
                I've often thought about doing something like that .... but finding time is an issue.

That reminds me, I have a few orders to build tonight when I get home from work.
                My Retro Collection:
                CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
                Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
                PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
                Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post

I can understand wanting to fit VGA into it, given how hard CGA/EGA (TTL) monitors are to find (at a decent price anyways), but I'm not certain whether or not it will recognize an external video BIOS. Worth a shot though. I'm fortunate enough to have two TTL monitors.

Creating an all in one card is definitely possible, if one combined as many of the discrete chips as possible into one or more FPGAs, but that's a bit beyond my skill at the moment. Eeguru was attempting something like that (see page 1).

Comment

The XT VGA card works fine in the HX, and of course supports CGA/EGA/VGA, if I want to run TGA I can use my CGA to VGA converter with the on board video and use the same VGA monitor. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...452#post578452

Comment

I used to have an 8-bit CGA/EGA/VGA card at one point. But yeah, what I wasn't sure of was whether it would recognize the card's BIOS and send signals to it in place of the onboard TGA. Good to see that it does that.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                        Doesn't need to be pretty. Just drop the KiCad project folder onto Mediafire or somewhere and drop me a link. I can prototype it on a breadboard on my end to make sure that there's not some hidden difference we might have missed between the EX and HX that might be interfering (I DOUBT that would be the case, but just to make sure).
                        Would you have any interest in fooling with one of my PCBs? I have nine spares, I can't imagine it'd cost much to drop one in a padded envelope and send it your way unless there's some ridiculous custom charge that's likely to kick in. PM me if you're interested at all.

As an aside, my order of smartwatches came in, and I imagine you won't have any trouble guessing how loud the forehead slap was when I opened it and found I'd accidentally ordered SMT packages instead of DIP. (I would have sworn that "DIP" appeared in the product description when I ordered it, but apparently not, and now I'm clear on how "+5" and "-5" in the part number denote DIP verses SMT for those things. Whee.) That probably explains why it was only $13 for five of them. I have a harebrained plan to try adapting one to a DIP footprint using copper wire jumpers bent around a notched piece of plastic acting as an insulator/ interposer.
                        My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

I sent you a PM with my address.

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
                          ...I imagine you won't have any trouble guessing how loud the forehead slap was when I opened it and found I'd accidentally ordered SMT packages instead of DIP.
                          Could be worse. I paid $23 CDN for just ONE DS1315-5+-ND from Digi-Key with my last order (which is in the DIP footprint). Haven't had time to play with it yet. $13 (USD, I assume) for 5 isn't too bad. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use prototyping wire to connect to the DIP pads, just to use up what you got. Just wouldn't want to send out any kits with those :P

Comment

It lives!

chkdisk.jpg

I gave in and ordered some new RAM chips from Digikey, which arrived last night. Yanked out all the jumpers, repopulated the board... and it still didn't work. Based on a gnawing hunch I pulled out the 74HCT245 and jumpered the data lines across the socket, and that time it fired right up to "Memory Size = 640k". I've run several things like Topbench:

topbench.jpg

That didn't fit in 256k and it's been seemingly working fine. I also banged up a brain-dead little BASIC program to poke values into the UMBs at D000 and E000 and it looks like they work as well:

rampoke.jpg

(After poking values into the UMBs I went peeking around the other memory pages and it looks like the remapping circuitry I came up with to get full utilization out of the RAM chip is doing its job, I didn't see any duplication of page contents.)

Obviously I need to do some formal RAM tests and find something to exercise the UMBs, but so far so good. I think I've found the issue with the buffer; I need to cut a trace and solder in a bodge wire to be sure, but I think I got the "direction" signal for the '245 flipped. I'm not sure if it was a "deliberate" error from misreading the datasheet or if it's just something I accidentally missed at some point when I was shuffling the circuit board layout. (I did flip the A->B direction through the buffer a couple times laying it out to try to get the layout as clean as possible.) It currently connects to MEMW, I think it needs to go to MEMR instead.

So, yay, it works. I'm still not sure this exonerates the eBay'ed RAM chips, though, because I'm pretty sure I tried this configuration before. I'll try swapping one of them back in after I've gotten the buffer working.

I guess now I get to see if it stays to one bodge or if it'll need more hacking for the calendar and flash to work. Could be worse!
                            My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

I was thinking of the '245 direction as well, because that's the same mistake I made on my breadboard. That's one reason it helps to debug it on a breadboard first to make sure you didn't miss something silly:P

Strictly speaking, it's not necessary to have the '245, but like bypass caps, the more you have installed on the bus, the nosier the bus is going to get.

Comment

Yeah. I have this bad feeling I might have screwed this up even if I had breadboarded the design, because there's a fair chance it's an error I introduced while running the tracks on the board. (It took me several false starts to come up with a board that didn't have a million awkward vias in it, so I was trying to follow some advice about paying attention to the physical layout of the chips instead of the schematic view when choosing how to route signals. In the course of that I switched the order of the data lines through the buffer a couple times, both directionally and end-to-end, I might have just lost track or flipped the direction hi-low in my head at some point.)

At least it should be an easy fix for rev 2, if that ever happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X