Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Yeah. I have this bad feeling I might have screwed this up even if I had breadboarded the design, because there's a fair chance it's an error I introduced while running the tracks on the board. (It took me several false starts to come up with a board that didn't have a million awkward vias in it, so I was trying to follow some advice about paying attention to the physical layout of the chips instead of the schematic view when choosing how to route signals. In the course of that I switched the order of the data lines through the buffer a couple times, both directionally and end-to-end, I might have just lost track or flipped the direction hi-low in my head at some point.)

At least it should be an easy fix for rev 2, if that ever happens.
    Yeah, that's something I found when designing my boards too. If it makes more sense for routing to rearrange the gates on a logic IC or a '688 comparitor, etc, from what's in the schematics, then that's what you end up doing, but you gotta make sure you update the schematic at the same time, otherwise you'll tie yourself in knots quickly. It helps having multiple monitors for that, so you can have the schematics and board layout side by side.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

In other news, I installed Check-It 3.0 onto a disk image, and according to its memory mapping function it sees 128k of high memory in addition to the expected "624k" of base RAM.

memmap.jpg

I've set it to continuously run the rigorous RAM test for a while just for laughs. (It passed the quick test fine.) The only thing separating this from the brain-dead 74x00 one-chip version is a little more gate delay in the decoding (and the one address line that'd be a little delayed compared to the others) so I don't expect any issues, but we'll see.

Also just for the sake of testing I've plugged my modem card into one of the pass-through bus slots, and I can confirm that the spacing is right. Check-it sees the serial port integrated into the card so I'll take it as read pass-through works.

modem.jpg

Looking at how I laid things out if I end up offering the rest of my proto run to intrepid DIY-ers I might just recommend skipping the buffer and soldering wires across the socket. (As you said it's not great, but boards like the Lo-tech RAM card get away with it, I guess.) Unfortunately the MEMW trace that goes to the memory chips goes *through* the land on the buffer socket on its way to the bus connector, so to sever it free would take two jumpers/trace cuts to free up the pin and bridge the two subsystems to their different bus points. I suppose another workaround would be to just bend up pin 1 of the '245 and run a flying wire to MEMR; I could anchor it to the backside of the down-facing tandy bus connector. Guess that's going to be my test strategy.
      My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Hah. Earlier in the thread we brought up the "mempdrvr.exe" file on the oldschool.org Tandy 1000 archive that can create a RAM disk on the (rare?) 512k version of the official Plus memory board. Apparently it's compatible with the UMBs on my card.

ramdisk.jpg

It initialized and seemed to work fine. (I could copy files to it, etc, and they survived when I ran memory-intensive programs in base RAM. Amazing it's only 921 byte binary.) Now I'm curious again what the memory mapping for the original card was like when it was installed in an HX. That omnibus collection of Tandy jumper settings said it had different settings depending on whether it was installed in an HX or an EX; obviously the E000 page is out, did you only get 64k in an HX or did it take the C000 page?
        My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

And it's confirmed, bad direction signal. Cobbled up this solderless jumper arrangement to test and it works

20190719_174836.jpg

Interesting side observation: I used the jumper for the E000 page to construct this, and the RAMdisk software refused to initialize with only 64k.

Comment

This is progress! Congrats!
            Still gonna build up that board when it arrives though. I'm curious to see it.
            My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

If nothing else it might be interesting to run a few benchmarks, since you have access to the DMA equipped board, and see if it makes any difference. Topbench scores my EX a bit slower than the SX in its database, I'm curious if that's normal.

Comment

Yeah, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
                  If nothing else it might be interesting to run a few benchmarks, since you have access to the DMA equipped board, and see if it makes any difference. Topbench scores my EX a bit slower than the SX in its database, I'm curious if that's normal.
                  Topbench scores my SX a point slower than the SX in its database

Comment

Originally posted by GrandPoobah View Post
                    Topbench scores my SX a point slower than the SX in its database
                    Looking at the screenshot of my scores I do wonder if this is a case of being right on top of the rounding mark.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                      Yeah, I'll give that a go.
                      I have a few ideas of hacks that might be interesting to try if you get bored with it, too. (in particular I've been wondering if it would be legit to map the calendar chip at D000 along with the lower UMB, in order to incorporate the calendar into a Flash-less board. I think you could test that by bending up the CE lines for the DS1315 and hacking some wires to the enable jumper.)

Comment

This is just wonderful stuff, seeing new cards for this PC! I have a few OEM memory expansions, and an aftermarket one, so I don't *need* a new production one but I am anxiously anticipating getting my Eudimorphodon special in the mail once he gets these sorted!

I am sure this is well known, but just in case, I ran across an online copy of the technical manual for the HX and it is absurdly detailed. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=62#manual

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
                          This is just wonderful stuff, seeing new cards for this PC! I have a few OEM memory expansions, and an aftermarket one, so I don't *need* a new production one but I am anxiously anticipating getting my Eudimorphodon special in the mail once he gets these sorted!

I am sure this is well known, but just in case, I ran across an online copy of the technical manual for the HX and it is absurdly detailed. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=62#manual
                          We've got the technical manuals for the EX/HX already. One thing we've found is that the tech manual for one model will include minute details they share in common that another manual will leave out.

If you happen across the tech manual for the Tandy 1100FD though, I'd be grateful. It's got two internal expansion headers, one for a small card (what I presume to be a modem), and the other for an internal HDD of unknown type, and I've been unable to locate any information yet. I'd like to make a CF card board for it, but I suspect that it uses XT-IDE (not to be confused with the XT-IDE Universal BIOS), which predates and is incompatible with what we'd normally think of as IDE. But if it DOES use standard IDE, then a CF card interface could be relatively simple, depending of what drive geometry the onboard BIOS can recognize. Fortunately, it comes with 640KB RAM right on the board, so there's no concern there.

Comment

I have a box full of 1110HDs, very similar. One of my favorite computers and my first laptop, I actually got yelled at in the Army for having one because the only people who were "supposed to have one" were higher ranking officers FFS. About 10 years ago I had one running great and then its internal HDD died, I haven't seen a working HDD in years now and I would love to revisit this. It would probably not be that hard to look up the specs on the drive or controller chip and figure out what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
                              I have a box full of 1110HDs, very similar. One of my favorite computers and my first laptop, I actually got yelled at in the Army for having one because the only people who were "supposed to have one" were higher ranking officers FFS. About 10 years ago I had one running great and then its internal HDD died, I haven't seen a working HDD in years now and I would love to revisit this. It would probably not be that hard to look up the specs on the drive or controller chip and figure out what it is.
                              So far as I can tell, all the large ICs on the motherboard are FPGAs or custom ASICs. That's why I was hoping to find a technical manual. If nothing else, I'd have schematics to go on, so I can at least tell what's what. Failing that, I could always bodge-wire an "ISA"-like interface straight from the CPU and address/data latches, but I'd like to avoid that if the connectors serve that function.

Anyways, that's a topic for another thread.

Comment

I've run into one little glitch that had me go way back in the thread and dredge this up:

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                                Well, I rigged up a PLUS to breadboard lead pack, hooked up a 512K chip as you suggested....
                                And it works!
                                It even passed an extended memory test.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]53974[/ATTACH]
                                Out of curiosity, what version of Check-it! were you running the memory test from? I've found that I don't seem to be able to get a completely error-less run of the "Extended" RAM test; it will inevitably record at least one error on the "Parity" check... which is kind of fascinating considering the Tandy doesn't have Parity RAM. The errors are not reproducible in terms of location, and further, the errors are sometimes recorded in the range covered by the *Big Blue RAM onboard*, not the expansion memory. Is there another good RAM test for XTs that would be worth running for sanity's sake? For what it's worth I haven't had any mysterious crashes or anything with any of programs I've tried that exercise the expansion RAM.

The one physical possibility I can think of is that some of the sockets on my test board are pretty thrashed from having wire jumpers stuck in them, perhaps there's a slightly intermittent connection randomly putting some kind of glitchiness on the bus. I'll need to replace them eventually, or just solder up another board, once I have any other possible bodges worked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X