Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bladamson
    replied
    Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I do wish the 62 pin Plus connector itself was even remotely a standard part; not only is it an odd number of pins, it's a different height than a plain header.
    You can pull the plastic shell off the PLUS connector and plug a 64 pin ribbon cable straight onto it, then run that out to an ISA backplane with one of these (you get 3 for the $25): https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/cG4aZUEg I need to figure out how to build an attractive enclosure for the backplane though... I've got one that appears to be baby AT form factor, and the other has holes in weird places. But I don't need a whole AT-class case just to house a 6 slot backplane, just that little part of the case. Probably will try to cut down a cheap case sometime, but I am not sure how to make an attractive cover for it.

But yeah, I was thinking about the PC-104 style stacking thing too. I think it's a good idea. Could fasten a whole stack of boards together with standoffs threaded into each other, and then put some rubber bumpers on the bottom one (or stick them to the motherboard) to support the whole stack from the bottom. No brackets needed. If stuff could be made low-pro enough, one might fit more than 3 boards in that space.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Heh. When I initially started playing with this project I was strongly considering going with using a solder-tail female connector on each board so they'd stack like Raspberry Pi shields (or PC-104 boards) and not care about being physically compatible with the original Plus layout at all. I do wish the 62 pin Plus connector itself was even remotely a standard part; not only is it an odd number of pins, it's a different height than a plain header. I still need to talk to my buddy with the 3D printer, I'm kind of envisioning going back to not caring about cross-compatibility with the original arrangement, optimizing for tight stacking, and making a backplane insert that goes in place of the original fill plates.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my ISA network card. I want to play with the spacing and see if I use a .5" spacing between the RAM board and a CF/Serial daughtercard if I'd then be able to make an ISA riser optimized to, again, stack as tightly as possible over the daughtercard and allow the ISA card's ports to be exposed with the lid closed, despite them effectively being on the wrong side of the board for the normal plus arrangement. I *think* it may actually work. Then it's time to make that fill plate...

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    I assume it's there as a "better safe than sorry" measure, which is why I decided to use it. All of the the original Radio Shack boards for the EX/HX have buffers on the data lines.
    Yeah I was referring to the OEM boards. Watching Adrian's video I noticed there was only 1 down-stream load on those boards - UART and DMA/RAM controller respectively. I thought that was weird at the time. But now I realize the 245 may be for upstream drive strength. Each add-on card also adds loading when driving back to the mainboard's 245. Another reason I'm fond of ATF150x parts for this type of work is the output drivers are beasts (44 mA source / 95 mA sink).

Frankly I wonder why Radio Shack didn't just use a stacked PC-104 arrangement.
    Funny you should say that. I did notice the 104 and Plus designs have the same stacking height. I even laid-out a 4-layer Plus board with PC-104 connectors on each side of the board so a 104 board could be added in either direction. Only problem with it is the non-standard connectors and lack of a back-plate ugliness.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Originally posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    Also, I got the box, thank you very much!
    Awesome. Hopefully that documentation I threw together is enough to get things soldered together, it'll be awesome if they all "just work" for you.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Originally posted by eeguru View Post
    But I don't understand the need for a 245 when there is only 1 downstream load like on the Plus serial and mem/dma boards. It just adds another 20+ ns of prop delay.
    I assume it's there as a "better safe than sorry" measure, which is why I decided to use it. (No implicit criticism of the jrIDE intended, BTW. It's such a compact circuit board and, as you say, it's almost certainly the only board someone's likely to bolt onto their PCjr.)

All of the the original Radio Shack boards for the EX/HX have buffers on the data lines. (The schematics for the RAM, serial, clock/mouse, and network cards are in my copy of the EX manual; I just checked and they all have them.) Radio Shack had a reputation for being notoriously stingy in cutting out "unnecessary" parts so I can't help but think they must be there for a reason. Could the weird geometry of the "tree" expansion header arrangement just be fundamentally noisy?

(Frankly I wonder why Radio Shack didn't just use a stacked PC-104 arrangement. That's basically what the PCjr's sidecars amount to.)

Leave a comment:

• eeguru
    replied
    I took a peek at the jrIDE schematic and it looks to me like the data lines for all the memory devices are directly on the data lines pulled from the bus connector.
    Yeah, 6 loads is not ideal, but the JR-IDE is really the only side-car most people run and the 245 on the MB can handle that fan-out. The parts on the JR-IDE have typically less input impedance than period parts as well.

6 loads, yes a 245 was needed. But I don't understand the need for a 245 when there is only 1 downstream load like on the Plus serial and mem/dma boards. It just adds another 20+ ns of prop delay.

Leave a comment:

• RetroGaming Roundup
    replied
    If you need some comparison testing on an HX feel free to call on me. Also, I got the box, thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Originally posted by rkrenicki View Post
    I also hadn't noticed that you had made the same point about taking up the same amount of space on the last page, so I edited my comment.
    Post/Edit temporal collisions are the best.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure those Chinese chips *must* be tri-stating correctly because they worked in that PCjr. I took a peek at the jrIDE schematic and it looks to me like the data lines for all the memory devices are directly on the data lines pulled from the bus connector. If they "leaked" bad things would definitely be happening.

(YET ANOTHER EDIT) It's still my gut feeling that the reason they are not working reliably in the Tandy is more of a drive strength/noise issue than "speed", per se, but the situation is still pretty wacky, especially the part where the EX and HX behave differently. I'll do some benchmarks to make *sure* when I get my HX test mule sorted out but I don't believe the HX runs any faster than the EX.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; October 23, 2019, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rkrenicki
    replied
    The SRAM will be tri-stated when it doesn't have chip enable so it shouldn't produce any spurious data when the CF has the select if they were behind the same buffer. That said, I pretty much agree that a second '245 will probably equal about the same board space as the logic to sort out sharing one between memory and I/O.

Sharing the same '245 between the SRAM and the ROM portion of the circuit is easy, you just need to AND the respective chip selects together for CE and the same direction signal is valid for both.
    That is quite true.. unless the SRAM was some off-brand chinese fake.. then who knows if they actually go into a tri-state. I also hadn't noticed that you had made the same point about taking up the same amount of space on the last page, so I edited my comment.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Originally posted by rkrenicki View Post
    I also think this may be required anyways, so that when the CF is being read.. the bus isnt trying to read erroneous data from the SRAM and vice versa.
    The SRAM will be tri-stated when it doesn't have chip enable so it shouldn't produce any spurious data when the CF has the select if they were behind the same buffer. That said, I pretty much agree that a second '245 will probably equal about the same board space as the logic to sort out sharing one between memory and I/O.

Sharing the same '245 between the SRAM and the ROM portion of the circuit is easy, you just need to AND the respective chip selects together for CE and the same direction signal is valid for both.

Leave a comment:

• rkrenicki
    replied
    Originally posted by misterblack View Post
    it's going to take some homework how to figure out how to share the select the 245 properly .... it'll need some gates that's for sure, so it's at least two chips.
    Why not just use two 245s then.. one for the CF, and one for the SRAM? I get the 245 is relatively large 74 series chip compared to some of the smaller gates, but it would certainly save the time of trying to work out the logic. I also think this may be required anyways, so that when the CF is being read.. the bus isnt trying to read erroneous data from the SRAM and vice versa.

EDIT because I didn't see it above:
    (Which essentially means if you want to buffer both functions you might as well use two '245s, because the combinatory logic will probably take just as much room.)
    Yea, what he said.
    Last edited by rkrenicki; October 23, 2019, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    yeah just like you said it's going to take some homework how to figure out how to share the select the 245 properly .... it'll need some gates that's for sure, so it's at least two chips.

Would basically need to be something like SRAM CE or EPROM CE or CF_CS1 or CF_CS0 (to enable the 245) and IOW or MEMW for direction. (or the IOR/MEMR depending on which orientation the 245 is in.)
    It turns out the equations for the PAL that controls the buffer enable and direction for the '245 that sits in front of Big Blue and all the other motherboard devices is in the manual for these systems. These seem to be the important parts:

bufenb = Imemios & romcs # memios & fdcack;
    bufdir = memr & imio & !fdcack # memr & Imio & memios
    # memr & !mio & ior
    # mio & ior
    # ior & fdcack & Imemios & Imemr;
    Unfortunately I'm not particularly solid on what the syntax is for reading logic equations in this format... but I'm sure it says something about what you need to worry about when trying to share a '245 between IO and MEM devices.

Leave a comment:

• blackepyon
    replied
    Yeah, I'd definitely recommend the '245 for the CF card section, because that thing gets very finicky, if you saw my post a few pages back on my protoboard CF-IDE.

Speaking of Tetris, this is the PLUS version of Glitch's XT-IDE that I've been working on (I got his permission, it's open source anyways). Also adding a couple things of my own.
    Capture2.jpg
    MediaFire link here if that's too blurry

This is still a work in progress, once I can get back to it. I was doing fine tuning and confirming my measurements, but now that I know how far the transformer from the modem card goes, I'm debating whether or not to pull the first two chips on the left inwards about .200" to clear the transformer.

It is time consuming to "play Tetris" with a PCB, but very doable if you're patient.

I find that you can get quite a lot into a small space by running horizontal traces on one side of the board, and vertical traces on the other. It also assumes you're not being charged by the number of drill holes, because it involves a lot of vias.

And yes, there's two IDE headers. Same controller, but I wanted to have the option of having one end exposed to the back for an external drive, or to quickly plug in a CF card sled and transfer files to whatever is installed internally. The big exposed copper piece on the left is to be a separate piece of PCB to solder on at a right angle to form the back panel.

Leave a comment:

• misterblack
    replied
    Are you going to have a '245 in front of the CF port, or run that unbuffered as well? It's that that really gave me the most heebeejeebies; not only do I not entirely trust what the CF card might do (which probably isn't fair), but there's also the fact that on the standard XT-CF schematics there's a pull-up resistor on D7 that's supposed to be there to help identify a "card not present" situation. Without a buffer that pull-up is going to be asserted on the bus all the time. It's probably not a big deal, but, well... one thing I noticed about my EX was every location in the memory map that *doesn't* have a memory device in it ordinarily returns a "7" if I peek it. Having a pull-up resistor on D7 asserted all the time would change that to "135". Would that matter? I'm going to guess not, it seems unlikely there's anything in the BIOS that would rely on that even if it's consistent across machines, but... it's another thing I noticed that gave me cold feet.

And yeah, 100x100mm is pretty tight. My RAM board is already crowded because I have the clock-calendar chip and its battery holder on it, but I went ahead and tried importing the CF components into the schematic, loaded up PCBnew, and, no, a few minutes convinced me I just couldn't handle the resulting EXTREME TETRIS. Since you don't have the clock-calendar, battery, or the two additional bus jumper landings to work around it's probably... just doable. But another thing I did throw my hands up in the air over was I wasn't quite sure how to properly share a single '245 with both memory and I/O; MEMR/W and IOR/W are separate signals on the ISA bus and without doing the homework I didn't know if you could safely just AND, say, MEMR and IOR together to use as a direction signal, or if you need more complex logic. The Tandy schematics show them using a programmed PAL to work the direction signal for U44 on the motherboard which has the MEM/IO direction signals, all the device selects, and a couple other signals going into it. That helps convince me it probably isn't that easy.

(Which essentially means if you want to buffer both functions you might as well use two '245s, because the combinatory logic will probably take just as much room.)
    OMG I literally laughed out loud at the extreme tetris!! Yeah I think I am going to try again and reroute it all.... leaving off the 245 on the CF as on the XT-CF design but I will put a 245 on the databus ... yeah just like you said it's going to take some homework how to figure out how to share the select the 245 properly .... it'll need some gates that's for sure, so it's at least two chips.

Would basically need to be something like SRAM CE or EPROM CE or CF_CS1 or CF_CS0 (to enable the 245) and IOW or MEMW for direction. (or the IOR/MEMR depending on which orientation the 245 is in.)

A quad 2 input AND gate would do the trick for the 245 OE line (using 3 gates) .... and then IOW or MEMW would need the OR gate.... and on my design I'm out of them. I used up the last one to set UMB to either 96k or 128k. (Location is fixed C0000-DFFFF or C8000-DFFFF) ..... I think with careful rerouting I can do it in 100x100...... extreme tetris here we come.

Oh a friend suggested using some SMD parts that would be make it easy -- but harder for regular people to build up.

So I guess I would steal the "disable

Leave a comment:

• dJOS
    replied
    Interesting is on the HX you can use HXSETUP program to set the program to boot into "SLOW" mode. I noticed a couple days ago I had it set that way, likely from testing where I thought that might make a difference... but I think the HX boots up in fast speed and only switches to slow speed once the system boots. (Same on the EX when you hold down the appropriate F key to start in slow mode.)

The HX also allows you to bypass the memory test (also in SETUPHX) and the system actually boots into DOS..... but it was unstable.

I guess long story short -- the chips are crap and marginal and so much time was wasted. Now, I'd love to see if someone else with a HX and a scope can check out your data and address bus lines and see if you have the similar pulses. They aren't causing a problem because the bus is totally stable when MEMW goes high (it's when the memory writes the bus into RAM) and when reading it's the same thing -- the signals are all perfect and glitch free at that time. It's just curious. I could see that the pulses on the data bus are leftover from what was on the multiplexed address lines and vice versa. So it's just a curious behavior of the Samsung 373 latch chips. (Not seen on my HX.)
    Pressing F4 after power-on will put the EX/HX machines into SLOW mode too.

EDIT: I should read the entire post before replying. *facepalm*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X