Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandy did market using the PLUS board with the ISA conversion bracket.
    I haven't seen the relevant kit, but I think that was to use a PLUS card on top of a ISA DMA/RAM card (like the one below).
    t1000hd5.jpg
    I can't imagine PLUS cards having been too popular outside of the EX/HX. The only incentive I can see to use them on an ISA system is if you already had the cards and didn't want to use them in the EX/HX any more.

Somewhat related: I don't know if you're familiar with this, but there was apparently a company back when that made accessories for the EX/HX http://www.mediafire.com/file/h14b1n..._1992.pdf/file
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

Tandy marketed three memory boards for the Tandy 1000/1000A.

The first board was the 25-1004 added the DMA chip and 128KB of 256KB of RAM. The 25-1009 was the second board and can add an additional 128KB or 256KB of RAM. The only difference between the 25-1004 and 25-1009 was the presence/absence of the DMA chip. With these boards you will take up two slots to maximize the RAM inside the Tandy 1000 or 1000A.

The third and final board for the Tandy 1000, which was included in the Tandy 1000HD was the 25-1011, which appears to be pictured in the previous post. That board comes with the DMA chip, allows up to 512KB of RAM and has the 62-pin header to install a PLUS card. The idea is that you could mount the serial, modem or calendar/mouse board on that card and save yourself a slot. The Tandy 1000, 1000A and 1000HD only have three ISA expansion slots.

All three boards have the two PLA chips on them, I believe the one of the PLA chips mainly generates memory address signals and the other deals with the DMA.
      My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

RAM must have come down in price considerably between the two (three) cards. 4x 8-chip banks at 8KB/chip on the first two cards, and 2x 8 banks of 32KB/chip on the latter card. Was it really cheaper to have two large boards with double the chips (minus one 8237A), than to have a quarter the RAM chips, but more expensive ones on a single board? I'm not sure exactly when the two systems were released.

All three boards have the two PLA chips on them, I believe the one of the PLA chips mainly generates memory address signals and the other deals with the DMA.
        That's more or less what I've gotten so far from the schematics. U5 for memory bank selecting, but also has a pin going to U9 called "MemAdd." Not sure what MemAdd does. Might be related to the jumper pins that are referenced high when open? U9 might have another 5-input NOR gate programmed into it like the two in U8, but I'm not certain yet. I've found the verbal description of the function within the tech reference manual, but haven't located the truth table eeguru pasted yet (I think I'm reading the same manual?). Between the two I should be able to get something, when I have another moment to dedicate to it.

ta6.jpgThe ATD T512CLK that I snagged from eBay (supposed to be Tandy compatible) doesn't appear to have those PLA chips, just 74xx series logic supporting the 8237A. Once it arrives, I'll reverse engineer that and compare the two. This board could also take a RTC chip, which must have been convenient. I had to perform "surgery" on the Smartwatch chip on my HX when it's batteries finally died. It had been slowly loosing time over the past 5 years or so (that I had noticed anyways), but almost 30 years of service before the batteries died completely is pretty impressive for a device that was only guaranteed to work reliably for 10!
        My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

A thought occurred to me... Absent the truth table, it should be possible to reverse engineer a PLA (8 inputs and 10 outputs in this case) by feeding a binary count (0-255) into it and recording on a logic analyzer what comes out, would it not?

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
            A thought occurred to me... Absent the truth table, it should be possible to reverse engineer a PLA (8 inputs and 10 outputs in this case) by feeding a binary count (0-255) into it and recording on a logic analyzer what comes out, would it not?
            As long as it's combinatorial only 'L' variant. If its an 'R' or 'V' registered variant (containing flip-flops), it becomes more difficult. If the security bits are not set, you could just read the fuse data out with a programmer.
            "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by eeguru View Post
              As long as it's combinatorial only 'L' variant. If its an 'R' or 'V' registered variant (containing flip-flops), it becomes more difficult. If the security bits are not set, you could just read the fuse data out with a programmer.
              Tandy appears to have only used 82S153s when they needed programmable logic in the 1000 and its initial add-on boards. They are simple combinatorial logic chips that can be easily replaced.
              My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eeguru View Post
                If you are interested, I can post the schematics online as a starting point for you. Or with enough poking, I could pick both designs up again and push forward.

I would have released a PLUS memory expansion a long time ago (I have 6-8 other PLUS cards designed but not produced) if I could find a suitable solution to the high-stacking shrouded 62 pin IDC connectors. But, the ultimate board would be a two card stack with it's own mating system that would provide an upward facing PLUS connector for a 3rd card of choice. I was thinking IDE (or SD card), RAM, RTC, MPU-401, 1x serial, and NE2000.
                Having just become the proud owner of a memory-expansion-less 1000 EX count me as someone who would be thrilled if you (or anyone) were to pick up this ball and run with it! I've just started looking for possible solutions to this issue and I've seen a number of mentions of the possibility of making a direct port of the JR-IDE board (combo memory+IDE) that could fit the Tandy systems. If you ever feel like laying that out I'd love to take a crack at getting a PCB from a board mill and populating it, if necessary.

A serial port and RTC would be an excellent bonus, of course.
                My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
                  Having just become the proud owner of a memory-expansion-less 1000 EX count me as someone who would be thrilled if you (or anyone) were to pick up this ball and run with it! I've just started looking for possible solutions to this issue and I've seen a number of mentions of the possibility of making a direct port of the JR-IDE board (combo memory+IDE) that could fit the Tandy systems. If you ever feel like laying that out I'd love to take a crack at getting a PCB from a board mill and populating it, if necessary.

A serial port and RTC would be an excellent bonus, of course.
                  There is another option:

https://www.tindie.com/products/Cybe...sa-riser-card/

+

https://texelec.com/product/lo-tech-1mb-ram/

+

any half height dual serial card

+

https://www.tindie.com/products/Cybe...ex-smartwatch/ (I'm out of DS1216's atm tho)

My Retro Collection:
                  CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
                  Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
                  PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
                  Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Comment

I did see that, and I guess that would work for chose-any-two-of RAM, IDE, or serial, and totally don't get the idea I'm discounting your product...

But, well, it would still be great to have a single card for it at least two of those, like the JR-IDE does for the PCjr. Or... crazy idea: have you considered the idea of making a version of your riser that has a RAM expansion? When looking through eBay for Plus memory cards (ha!) I ran across this bizarre thing someone built. (And total respect to you if you're a member of this forum, it's awesome.) Here's a link to the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duo-Slot-51...-/273735338008

The card consists of a 512k SRAM chip on a riser with two slots for adding the same cards we might want in an EX/HX to the "wasted" space in an original Tandy 1000. Obviously the clearances are tighter in an EX (I don't have the machine near me to tear into it and measure), but... what if there was *just* enough space to fit an SRAM on there along with the slots?
                    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

No dramas, my stuff is made as part of my hobby so I dont mind if folks want other solutions.

I did reach out to the maker of that board and asked if I could use his schematic but he never replied unfortunately.

That said I am working on a Riser card design using Jame's (of lo-tech fame) 1 MB board as the base design ... however it's overkill for our needs and I'm working on simplifying it .... I cant provide any guidance as to when it'll be ready unfortunately (just started a new more senior role and time poor atm).
                      My Retro Collection:
                      CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
                      Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
                      PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
                      Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Comment

Yeah, most of us are just fellow hobbyists who just want to see this stuff made. Problem is that not everybody has the time (day jobs, family, whatnot). Still want to get that made eventually.

As for that memory board, I've heard that lo-tech 1MB card apparently works in the Tandy 1000 EX/HX just fine with dJOS's PLUS riser, so that should at least get you by until one of us can get some PLUS boards going. I don't know if the EX/HX support Upper memory blocks or not, and the motherboard has 256K built in, so you need about 384K of that 1MB.

Comment

How rare is the memory board for the 1000 desktop that gives you full RAM (I have one in mine)?
                          What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                          Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                          Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                          Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Originally posted by dJOS View Post
                            I did reach out to the maker of that board and asked if I could use his schematic but he never replied unfortunately.
                            Aw, foo. I was actually going to open a thread specifically about that thing and ask if anyone had the schematic for it to see if I could just possibly try cooking up something like that myself. Or, at least, just the additional RAM part. I'm planning to put a modded Gotek in my machine so I'm not sure I'm *that* bothered about having the IDE interface, in the near term. But I've been coming to the conclusion that I'm probably going to need more than 256k to experience at least a plurality of Tandy-specific video games.

Maybe at some point I'll noodle over the lo-tech schematics and see if I can work it out. It certainly looks like you don't need a lot of glue to just hang an SRAM off of an ISA-ish bus and it shouldn't be too hard to lay that out. Famous last words.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                              I don't know if the EX/HX support Upper memory blocks or not
                              Really stupid idea: According to the EX technical manual the blocks at D0000 and E0000 are open, and it looks like that's where the IBM PCjr mapped its cartridge slots. I wonder if you could map 128k in there, load it with the contents of a PCjr cartridge, and fire it off.

Granted that's mostly a theoretical question given the amount of PCjr cartridge software that actually exists...

Comment

FWIW: https://www.brutman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X