• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Issues converting Orchestra 90 files

Torch

Experienced Member
I downloaded a large zip file containing 1,000+ Orchestra 90 music files and I've run into an annoying snag transferring them to my Model III.

Each music file is labeled as .ORC but are saved in ascii format...if I open it up in notepad on my PC, it looks like a perfect ORC music file.

I transfer each file to my Model III using FreHD, import2 and save it as SONG/ASC. I then use orcutl to read it as ASC and then write it as ORC.

Now here's the problem...when I load the music file, it's perfect with the exception of every single line having a lower case ñ (enye) in front of it. It's as if carriage return results in ñ. When I go through the tedious process of deleting every ñ, I can compile the score and the music plays as it should.
The ñ isn't there when viewing the ascii file in notepad, so it seems orcutl is adding them when converting to ORC. Thought possibly an import2 issue, but the same thing happens when I download with a null modem connection.
M: Modify or C: Change within orcutl won't help either as there's no way to enter ñ.

Any ideas on this? Possibly a different utility program?

Torch, was it the CR, CRLF, or LF that was the problem? Likely the corrupted line ending that
Notepad added/changed. NEDIT can/will correct it easily, using the "SAVE AS" Command.

Larry

Hi Larry,
I'm not actually using notepad in the process, I just tried it to see if the ñ showed up in there, which it doesn't. It seems orcutl is adding it for some reason when it converts ASC to ORC.
I'll look into NEDIT and see if there's something I can globally change there before sending it to my Model III. Deleting all those pesky ñ by hand is time consuming. :)

Torch, was it the CR, CRLF, or LF that was the problem? Likely the corrupted line ending that
Notepad added/changed. NEDIT can/will correct it easily, using the "SAVE AS" Command.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I loaded some files into Notepad++ and selected show all characters.
A CRLF was at the end of every line and it was the LF that was being interpreted as ñ by orcutl. I simply went to Edit-->EOL Conversion-->Macintosh (CR) and that stripped off all the LFs. Resaved the file, transferred it to the Model III and ran it through orcutl. They now come out perfect. :thumbsup:

Back