• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Minimum ram for MS-DOS 6.22?

alank2

Veteran Member
It does not want to boot on the Tandy 1000 I just got running. It only has 128K and I suspect this is the reason. PC-DOS 3.30 boots on it.

I got it working by replacing the power supply with a Mean Well RT85B. The Mean Well fit inside the original metal bracket! I was a bit of work, but I'm pleased I finally have something working on it.

It does not want to boot on the Tandy 1000 I just got running. It only has 128K and I suspect this is the reason. PC-DOS 3.30 boots on it.

I got it working by replacing the power supply with a Mean Well RT85B. The Mean Well fit inside the original metal bracket! I was a bit of work, but I'm pleased I finally have something working on it.

Alan,

You need get that 1000 up to the 640 max. I don't have any extra at this time but there are some on this site that can accommodate you at a reasonable price or maybe a grade. I do have a spare 1000SX board but I'm saving it in case my SX has a problem.

I wrote a Tandy 2.11 disk image which boots. BASIC works, but BASICA does not (I get a screen full of characters/corruption).

I agree it needs more memory!

I wrote a Tandy 2.11 disk image which boots. BASIC works, but BASICA does not (I get a screen full of characters/corruption).

I agree it needs more memory!

BASIC A is an IBM thing and not for your 1000. If I were you use Tandy's DOS 3.2.

It is on the Tandy 2.11 disk - why would it be there?

IBM BASICA was the cassette BASIC and was part of the IBM PC BASIC which was partially in ROM. You didn't need an OS to run it. I'm not familiar with the original Tandy 1000 or 1000A BASIC as my 1000SX came with DOS 3.2. So, get the addition RAM and upgrade BASIC to at least 3.2 for more features. I like DOS 5.0 but it run okay on 6.22.

IBM BASICA was the cassette BASIC and was part of the IBM PC BASIC which was partially in ROM. You didn't need an OS to run it. I'm not familiar with the original Tandy 1000 or 1000A BASIC as my 1000SX came with DOS 3.2. So, get the addition RAM and upgrade BASIC to at least 3.2 for more features. I like DOS 5.0 but it run okay on 6.22.

IBM BASICA was the extensions to cassette BASIC that gave the full range of abilities of MS BASIC. Some cloners did rename GW-BASIC as BASICA to keep compatibility with batch files for the IBM PC while others had BASICA as a stub program that launched GW-BASIC. Some of these had differences that limited ability to run on DOS versions other than the one shipped with.

From a text file msdosmsg.txt over at oldskool which refers to Tandy DOS 2.11.22
Code:
2.  BASICA.COM is a new file which executes BASIC from the keyboard.  When the
command BASICA is used instead of BASIC, BASIC.EXE is loaded at a different
location in memory.  With some applications this provides more compatibility.

Last edited:
I tried Microsoft MS-DOS 3.30 [Tandy 1000 OEM r03.30.20] (5.25) and it too has a BASIC and BASICA. It wouldn't run them because of the 128K of memory however.

Back