• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Keyboard question for Tandy 3000HD

animekenji

Experienced Member
The Tandy 1000 keyboard has the same 8-pin DIN connector as the 3000 HD keyboard. Are they compatible? I have several Tandy 1000 keyboards and the 3000 keyboards cost way too much money whenever they come up for sale.

Have you tried a standard AT keyboard? I know the Tandy 1000SL and TL have extra pins on the keyboard connector, but they're not used for anything -- they came with Tandy's standard 5-pin DIN XT/AT autoswitching Enhanced keyboard.

I don't want to try plugging in a different type of keyboard unless I know it won't short out anything on the motherboard for not being electrically compatible.

I honestly have never tried a 1000 keyboard, but I don't think it will work. The 1000 keyboard uses different scan codes.

I have so many AT and PS/2 keyboards it never occurred to me to try. I just looked and I have a 4000 motherboard, but I don't have any 3000's left to try it on.

Son of a B! I was looking through a pile of keyboards for an Apple ADB keyboard to test out my SE/30 that I haven't turned on in a while, and I hit the jackpot. A Tandy 3000 keyboard with a missing keycap was in the pile. Now, where do I get the key that is missing?

Back