Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now got all the WAV files prepared and ready to put on to the forum.
    Can anyone advise me how to go about this. I've made an attempt to upload them but it appears that there is a size limit.
    When zipped, the largest file is almost 72 Meg.
    Last edited by andyp; April 11, 2010, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Anytime I've had to transfer files that large I had to use something like Rapidshare as a way point for the sender (or an FTP site like WHTech when I send them back out, which is why I've put everything up there to keep it available to everyone).
      Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

Should I e-mail them to you for inclusion on WTECH or are they too large to add as attachments ?

Comment

My e-mail (most of e-mail providers in existence, for that matter) won't accept file attachments larger than 10MB, Andy. You can use the LiveDrive function on your Hotmail account to put files up to 50MB up and share them with specific individuals for transfer, but that doesn't help with the largest ones. Pretty much the only options left are mail or Rapidshare for files that size.

Comment

One other thought: a Yahoo group! They have a file storage area. Maybe we should start a Cortex group on Yahoo for data transfers. There are likely enough of us now to make it useful. Thoughts?

Comment

That's a bit huge, are they recorded at 44Ksamples per second, 16 bit stereo? in which case, you could archive the original recordings to CD and possibly reduce it to 10 -11 ksps, 8 bit mono & still get away with it. Good in some ways to record the original as accurately as possible, as it increases the chances of getting the original data back should the tape be bad, but as far as getting a useable copy....
              If you haven't got a sound editing program that'll do it send us a CD & I'll plug it into sound forge (& keep a copy too!)
              "Don't it always seem to go
              That you don't know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone" (BANG )

Comment

Rather than making copies of the original tapes, I loaded them onto my Cortex and then saved them back into Audacity to get perfect copies.
                I now realise that I left the sample settings at default which is a bit of overkill.
                I'll have another play in the next few days and try to get working copies small enough to e-mail.

Comment

I was meaning load the WAVs into e.g. Audacity & downsample it from there, rather than going through the rigmarole of re-recording it.

Comment

I've re-sampled the Cortex game files in WAV format and they are now all less than 10 meg.

I went through all my old tapes and have managed to find the following:

MAZE (Instructions on screen)

SPACEBUGS (Instructions on screen)

BURGLAR
                    Instructions = Move the burglar around the screen collecting the five keys and then take them to the bank to open the safe.
                    Each key scores 100 points and there is a time bonus on each sheet. "L" to jump, "<" left, ">" right, SHIFT + "<" left jump and SHIFT + ">" for right jump.

ARCHIE (Instructions on screen)

SKI-RUN (Instructions on screen)

ALIENS (Instructions on screen)

Use the LOAD command plus the names shown above.

Maze, Spacebugs, Burglar and Archie all appeared for sale in the newsletters - (I think Spacebugs might have been originally called invaders)

Archie was my one and only attempt at writing a multi-screen game and I have been told by my kids that it is very frustrating compared with modern games.
                    Because I spent so many hours testing it, I must have become quite an expert and tweeked it so that it wasn't too easy.
                    As a result, it is very unforgiving, will not let you step of the ladders before reaching the ground etc and you have to get used to timing your jumps. - Apologies
                    (You could always alter the program to increase your chances)

"ALIENS" and "SKI-RUN" were my early experiments and a bit basic but I have included them anyway.

This afternoon, I e-mailed them all to Ksarul / WHTech.

Nige - Do you want me to e-mail them to you ( 2 x 10 meg emails + 1 x 5 meg email) or do you want to wait and get them from WHTech?

Comment

Nige - Do you want me to e-mail them to you ( 2 x 10 meg emails + 1 x 5 meg email) or do you want to wait and get them from WHTech?
                      Thanks Andy, but don't worry, I'm fine downloading them from WHTech.

Comment

help needed to restore cortex to working condition

HI,

I have a cortex that I built in the 1980's.

Its been in the loft for 20 years and I have often thought about trying to get it working.

any help or encouragement would be great.

it has the later Maplin display board and 256k of ram with the ls2001 replacement header and the eproms were reprogrammed for the later disk drive chip ( changed them to a 2764 on a header board)

I do hope to hear from someone that has a working machine.

Comment

You've probably got the most advanced machine of all of us. Me, & AndyP have working machines in the UK (although we both seem to have slight sync problems in that the leftmost side of the display is a bit hidden) I have a floppy on mine, but the cable's damaged & I'm waiting till I have a few bits to order before getting a (few) replacement IDC sockets. Have a look back through the thread.
                          I'd be inclined to test the PSU separately (with a dummy load (car bulb or something)) before connecting to the logic board, also do a shorts test on the power conections to the main board. Usual faults for a machine that hasn't been powered up for 20+ years are dried out power supply electrolytics (ripply outputs & occasionally a minor explosion), Tantalum capacitors on the PCBs shorted out (shorts the power supply & can burn tracks off the pcb, sometimes there's one on the reset, which stops the machine resetting), oxidised I/C sockets (cured by removing & reseating chips), damaged memory (caused by cosmic rays!), and dirty/oxidised keyboard contacts.
                          We'd love a dump of the roms, & if these quick notes go over your head, we're happy to help further!

Comment

right then....all i need to do is get the workshop sorted out and explain that I am hiding in the loft trying to ressurect a machine hedden there for 20 years of marriage...should be easy !

seriously I will try to test the PSU and check out the machine, last I tried it just sat there but the voltages were fine, might head for the reset switch and see if the cap has gone short ! probably be a few weeks beofre I get a chance but great to hear that I do not have the last one.

Comment

There are links above to the whtech archive which has software, schematics & reprints of the original ETI articles etc. I can't be bothered going back through 23 pages though!
                              I've done a proper loft conversion now, there's no way that the CDC 14" disk drives would go up a ladder, I was worried about the stairs with 2 blokes and over a hundredweight of drive between us. Next house has to have a semi-basement, so I can get to use the (about 1/4 ton of) band-printer.

Comment

Excellent! We seem to have found another Cortex user Welcome!

I've been pretty busy of late, but I will try to get the games Andy sent me up onto WHT this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X